News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V advance - sound restoration updated  (Read 11378 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V advance - sound restoration updated
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 05:36:28 pm »
Apparently, a allocation table fault is the source of the problem (not that I'm 100% sure if it at all, but one of the linux based repair tool I tried tells me that).
I did use NTSF compression :(

September 08, 2014, 03:56:04 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
OK I now have a 100% working computer again, I put all the (somewhat dated) backups back so I can analyze what's going on again.

1) I just experienced the slowdown just as described with VBA and the placebo BIOS. By using VBA + real BIOS or the real hardware this is fixed. I have no idea why this happens. I knew about this problem before releasing the patch, and thought I fixed it but I didn't. This is not a problem since it's an emulation problem and not a hardware problem, so technically I have nothing to fix on this one, VBA authors does ;)

2) There is clicks in the sounds, just as said above. They happen in VBA once you use the real BIOS, strangely they don't appear with the placebo BIOS (however, strange clicks appear instead). On real hardware the clicks are here, but they are much less noticeable

3) The intro patch europe with orchestra somehow don't work at all and have no effect on the ROM.

I'll not be able to fix 1) because it's VBA's fault, and I'll only be able to fix 2) if I get help about those clicks. However I'll definitely fix 3) and try to release a version with a working orchestral intro, assuming anyone cares anymore.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:56:04 pm by Bregalad »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 04:34:40 pm »
I'm assuming by clicks you mean like the occasional pops and static-y audio. I typically play GBA games on my flash cart and since the pops aren't as noticeable they don't bother me.

Might as well put my two cents on the orchestrated intro as well. It doesn't matter to me, I use the U rom because better font and smaller filesize.
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 07:48:30 am »
I just updated my copy to the latest version of the patch, and all of the sound effects (spells, monsters dying, etc.) went back to the GBA version! What gives?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:15:36 am by vince94 »

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:34 am »
First off, what patch did you use? I used the U patch and the audio works like a charm. Did you use the E patch, and if so which one?
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 10:10:31 pm »
I used the "without orchestra" one, it must not have been updated :P Oh well!
EDIT: Same thing with the American ROM. SNES music, but strange sound effects.
EDIT: Something just occurred to me...the Cura spell in the current patch is very quiet and shorter than the on-screen animation, and I'm used to it being a louder "pl-pl-pl-pling!!!" sound. Have I just been used to the GBA sound effects this entire time!? :O
The "enemy dying" sound is different too, it's muffled and more bass-y.

Either way, I'm not hearing any pops or clicks! Maybe you guys are getting buffer underrun with the sound settings.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:24:07 pm by vince94 »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 03:59:16 am »
Have I just been used to the GBA sound effects this entire time!
Sounds like it's the case. The sound effects have been restored to the normal SNES ones.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:12 am »
Yeah, that's likely the case. I'm still somewhat used to the GBA sound effects so I know how that feels. Some of them I actually prefer over the restored SNES ones, but for the most part the restored SNES ones sound better (except for the knife attack; I know that's how it sounds in the SNES version but it's always sounded slightly off/corrupt to me).
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

OllieDixon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 06:15:37 pm »
I can't for the life of me get the with orchestra patch to work. Tried multiple roms. Losing my mind. Can anyone provide the CRC of the unpatched rom you used (that worked)?

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 10:11:21 pm »
He mentioned a few posts above that the orchestral patch isn't working, he's fixing it and will update soon.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

OllieDixon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 10:12:32 pm »
Doh! Thanks  ;D

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 06:18:16 am »
Oh I completely forgot I had to do this, thanks for remembering me. I'll note this on my TODO list.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 04:57:58 pm »
I just bump to say that the patch "with orchestra" should now be fixed and working.

tatundria

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 09:59:29 am »
V3.0a still has a lot of popping sounds. I am using mgba with retroarch on Nintendo Switch and the original gba bios. Please, is there any way to fix it?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 09:25:38 am »
Back when I updated to version 3 (that is, 4 years ago) I spent a lot of time trying to find the reason why there was those clicking sounds in emulators and I couldn't find why. I'm also certain those didn't happen on real hardware, so maybe you should contact the emulator's authors and ask them to fix their emulator to match the bahaviour of real hardware.

tatundria

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 07:46:44 am »
Can't get the audio to work properly in FFV sound restoration patched in latest mgba core v0.7 in retroarch (sound popping) but it works perfectly when I run it from mgba emulator v0.7. The thing is that I need it to work in retroarch. Please, can you help me?