News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Questions about Gamecube Texture Hacking  (Read 297 times)

Lisa

• View Profile
Questions about Gamecube Texture Hacking
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:24:50 pm »
Hello everybody!

I've mentioned this before in my GiFTPiA translation thread, but I am encountering a strange problem. I've been replacing files in the game with their translated counterparts. For me, it's been the textures to the game. I was thinking that this would be an easy job since I have edited the TPL files and it works perfectly and I have also edited the .dat files in the game and they work perfectly... except for one instance. Any .dat files found in the worldmap section of map section of giftpia.dat (thats a mouthful to be honest.) will display their old textures instead. I am absolutely confused as to why this occurs at such a specific area of the game. I can't find any sort of backup texture that the game uses for these, so I'm certain that my tools have been just wonky. I'm using SZS explorer from the CTools pack to help me replace things in the dat files. Its worked before, but not for this certain area of data.

I'm at a sleight dilemma about this since I have a workaround... but it's not pretty. It involves texture dumping and custom textures for Dolphin, which already ruins the support for hardware. Besides that takes a lot of work to do and I'm more inclined to hard bake these in.

If somebody is willing to lend a hand here, I would be more than thankful for it  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Update:

Seems like the game is calling those specific textures that I've changed. I'm starting to think that there was something with SZS explorer that made it wonky and stopped it from replacing the file normally. May switch to another tool and see where that ends up going
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:38:57 pm by Lisa »