News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How do I translate a Japanese PSP Game? : Question  (Read 957 times)

KatherynLiza

• View Profile
How do I translate a Japanese PSP Game? : Question
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:22 am »
I have tried uncompressed using bandizip,UMDGen and ppsspp dump.
Then using wxMEdit to look at the hex code.
Changing the encoding to SHIFT-JIS (Can see Japanese but some gibberish still), UTF-8 (all gibberish), EUC-JP (all gibberish)
I cannot even find the 1st line of the visual novel. (Even when converting to hexadecimal which I got from GetMyHex)
Diabolik Lovers: Haunted Dark Bridal

"82B782EA82CE20" in Hexadecimal which is "すれば" (Shift-JIS)

Did I uncompressed/decrypt wrong?
What I am supposed to do?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:59:20 pm by KatherynLiza »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: How do I translate a Japanese PSP Game? : Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:08:09 pm »
UMDgen is the main tool most use for manipulating PSP Isos.

Text does not have to be in shiftJIS, or another known format.

If there is some shiftJIS then four broad scenarios.
1) You just found some debug strings, something the devs left behind, menus or something boring. AKA different parts of the game (even things on screen at the same time or one after the other) can use radically different things.

2) Formatting. I have seen games use 8 bit commands between 16 bit shiftJIS. This means your basic hex editor/viewer will trip up and when it blindly decodes things will fail, until the next 8 bit command and then it starts working again, and then another and it fails, and another and it works...
Should be fairly obvious in the hex ( http://www.rikai.com/library/kanjitables/kanji_codes.sjis.shtml ); most shiftJIS starts each 16 bit run with an 8 or 9, and failing that then E or F so you will see that in the hex but shifted along by 8 bits. You might also try compressing it (covered in a second) as already compressed text will tend not to compress much more where plain text will tend to compress at least a little bit.

3) Compression. The PSP is a modern device that is more than capable of handling a half decent compression routine. Kind of odd to use it on text when you have the same size of UMD either way but far from unheard of.

4) The text of the game is not text but pictures. Fairly common in low text games like puzzle games, though such a thing also extends to visual novels at times and it is far from unusual to see such a thing.

If you are playing with the eboot file then some later ones were encrypted, can be sorted now as we have all the keys so no need to fiddle with things on the PSP any more but you might have to consider that.

At this point we would normally point you at the getting started section on the main page/navigation of the site, around here will also be a starter pack thing linked up. I don't know of much explicitly aimed at the PSP for hacking but you might gain a bit from http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14708.0.html . I wrote it for the GBA/DS but the PSP shares a lot in common with the DS as far as general theories of operation -- at the time they were contemporary fairly high power devices with a focus on a file system and file formats, as opposed to most previous devices that were not on a CD or floppy disc that don't do file formats and file systems. Though I will note the PSP often used higher level formats -- you would be hard pressed to find anything other than the web browser for the DS which used JPG, PNG and BMP type formats within the game but I would not be surprised at all to find in a PSP game a common graphics, 3d modelling or similar format I could open up in an otherwise vanilla version of whatever popular or relevant graphics/3d modelling software of the time was.

KatherynLiza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:18:57 am »
  • How do I check if this is the case?
  • So create a table then using Monkey Moore & Crystal Tile 2?
    Because I checked all the files for this "す*れ*ば*す*る*ほ*ど*に" and found nothing that matches that.
  • I compress using UMD, do I need to do something more?
  • looking into right now
The document is awesome, I read(Well skimmed more correct term) it before you gave to me. I am having hard time adapting it to psp.

Here 1st screen, the one I trying to translate.

Do think I should try DS rom hacking before continuing with psp?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:20:16 pm by KatherynLiza »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 02:15:24 pm »
1. Usually the text is pretty banal when translated -- 502 Bad Gateway compared to "And he took out his steel with the intent of dispatching the interloper". That said most people usually come the other way when translating a game and work on finding the content they want. A full tracing session would be nice but as you have a file system it can be easier to switch files around (UMDgen even allows a nice relink option if memory serves which means you can point one file at another). If you swap some files around and the first "level" becomes the third or something then you know what that file does.

2. Assuming it is a table and not graphics (from that screenshot it could go either way, though I would probably wager on text if I was pushed). As far as Japanese goes then Monkey Moore (a relative searcher) and Crystaltile2 (also relative search abilities among other things) is not that useful -- English has the defined ABCD... order which most things follow, and thus makes relative search a super powerful tool, where Japanese does not officially or unofficially have much of anything. If you know Japanese you might spot it as similar to shiftJIS, eucJP, the 198?-199* list given to Japanese schoolkids... and thus gain something you can enter as a number relative sequence but that is a different matter.

3. Different type of compression. UMDGen handles iso level compression which custom firmwares handle and you can fit more on your memory card, at the cost of some read speed/load times. File level stuff could be any format the dev wanted really.

As for hacking DS in preference. Some things might be easier. However outside of some very hard types of hack or obscure devices then most of the time we say go with what motivates you -- if I had been compelled to start out mimicking stats by year for a NES football game I would never have got anywhere, as it stands what I did I enjoyed what I picked and thus kept with it. The PSP is a reasonably well documented console with an emulator worth using, said emulator can debug things a bit, tools to handle some things, and people that have played with it. Its ROM hacking scene was never as big as some other things but still plenty of things have been done.

KatherynLiza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:58:19 pm »
Thank you so much for the help.

I am just confused what I should do for my next step.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 05:43:58 pm »
Figure out what files the text is in would be where I head next.

You have many methods available.

Being a file system based affair you have all sorts of file sizes, names, directory names, extensions... to look at. You also don't have to find just the text -- knowing a given folder handles 3d images or something means you don't necessarily have to look there for the text (the text as images thing could apply to 3d textures but let us not go there) and thus can eliminate many choices.

Narrow it down enough and either swap files or tweak small bits in them and see the resulting effect on the game*.

*by the way don't use savestates made close to when the text will appear on screen -- if the text is already in memory then your changes to the game will not necessarily be reflected in what is on screen.

Once you know that you have something handling text you can approach it however you will to decode it, and the GBA/DS guide linked earlier has all sorts of very generic methods that apply to almost everything.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:17:24 pm »
As far as Japanese goes then Monkey Moore (a relative searcher) and Crystaltile2 (also relative search abilities among other things) is not that useful -- English has the defined ABCD... order which most things follow, and thus makes relative search a super powerful tool, where Japanese does not officially or unofficially have much of anything.

This isn't especially accurate. There is the potential for a lot of variance in how a Japanese alphabet is stored in a game, but I've used relative searches to dump at least a dozen scripts for the Game Gear in the past 12 months or so. If you're trying to figure out a text encoding, relative searching is far from worthless. It just depends on the situation.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 09:44:48 pm »
Japanese kana are often stored in a couple patterns, for example ka/ki/ku/ke/ko or ka/ga/ki/gi/ku/gu/ke/ge/ko/go.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 07:09:40 am »
I shall happily accept that, though I would still push newcomers towards more replacement oriented methods for determining Japanese scripts and tables, especially if they don't know Japanese.

That said I think a discussion on the potential improvements of relative search is in order. Thread coming shortly.
Edit. Thread made.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27800.0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:25:39 am by FAST6191 »

KatherynLiza

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 11:38:53 am »

There very limited files, I do not know enough to recognize files types if they have text.

How do you link/delink using UMDGen, I have been looking for guides but not have found any.

(Side Note: Can read sounds of hiragana, katakana. Know 10 words at most for Japanese. Plus read some kanji around 200)

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 02:23:42 pm »
adx2 is possibly related to the adx ( https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/CRI_ADX_file , edit https://wikivisually.com/wiki/ADX_%28file_format%29 is a better one and mentions adx2) audio format. In that case I would be looking further at the usrdir (possibly short for user directory, the others maybe being install and system and thus of less immediate interest), and the eboot file.

KatherynLiza

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 02:56:21 pm »

I have been mostly looking at eboot.bin file, which I mostly searching for hiragana (In shift-JIS). I have not messed with data, afraid of breaking whole game.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 05:37:50 pm »
I have not messed with data, afraid of breaking whole game.

What is the problem if you break the game? You delete the modified version, make a new copy and start fiddling with something else or make another change that hopefully does not break it this time*.

*an example might be if I find some text I will possibly alter things to be different values. Some games will struggle if I change a value to something other than what is on its list of acceptable values. Now I would know that is not a good one and can go back the other way to find the limit or continue seeing if values further in that direction are still invalid values.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 01:11:54 am »
I have been mostly looking at eboot.bin file, which I mostly searching for hiragana (In shift-JIS). I have not messed with data, afraid of breaking whole game.
It's pretty much a guarantee that in the process of making a ROM hack/translation, you will break the game many times. You just need to keep frequent backup copies of the files you modify. Then when something goes bad, you'll hopefully have a copy to revert to without too much progress loss.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018