News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)  (Read 527210 times)

julayla

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.4 & Source Code Released)
« Reply #1020 on: June 07, 2021, 07:47:10 am »
I have to disagree with you on the slow boss dying animation problem being a "must fix" issue, Raykusen.

It was also like that with Megaman X2 so it's not a big deal to me {I know from experience when I played both original MMX2 & MMX3 games on my old snes game console a few decades ago in the late 1990s}

It was also like that in the original Megaman X game as well (which at the time wasn't a big deal as it lasted for 10 seconds at least).

Raykusen

• No value for sugarcoating. 100% for being honest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 20, 2021, 04:59:28 pm »
I have to disagree with you on the slow boss dying animation problem being a "must fix" issue, Raykusen.

It was also like that with Megaman X2 so it's not a big deal to me {I know from experience when I played both original MMX2 & MMX3 games on my old snes game console a few decades ago in the late 1990s}

Dude, X2 is as bad as X3 in terms of the boss taking forever to die.

It will be a very welcomed update that helps to keep the pace of the game.

Just compare X1 boss dying animation to X2 and X3 and you will notice the difference.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #1022 on: June 22, 2021, 04:42:55 pm »
I'm always a big fan of justin's work. I finally got around to checking out this hack. I'm not sure if Zero can use the ride armor in original X3, but it's a cool addition. I think the file save system is probably the most impressive feature though, IMHO
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Guilherme Resende

• View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 03, 2021, 05:01:35 pm »
why don't you recreate Megaman X2 Zero Project? I really want this hack. :thumbsup:

ZEROmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 08, 2021, 02:28:08 pm »
why don't you recreate Megaman X2 Zero Project? I really want this hack. :thumbsup:

I think ProgrammerPeru finished the X1 and X2 "Zero Projects" but they are mostly a sprite change using ZERO sprites.

I'd love to play an X2 Zero Project where you can fully play as ZERO after his 3 parts are recovered from the X-Hunters.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 08, 2021, 04:50:06 pm »
the zero project wasn't better because it's not possible to use the sword instead of the shots when approaching the enemy, didn't you think about that? repeatedly hitting Y phase combos with the sword would be too good :thumbsup:

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 09, 2021, 10:09:22 am »
the zero project wasn't better because it's not possible to use the sword instead of the shots when approaching the enemy, didn't you think about that? repeatedly hitting Y phase combos with the sword would be too good :thumbsup:

Sure did think about that well over 10 years ago when I first started this project. Don't care to do it anymore. Too much work and not enough motivation for this project. If it's not good enough for you without it, then don't play it.

I think ProgrammerPeru finished the X1 and X2 "Zero Projects" but they are mostly a sprite change using ZERO sprites.

I'd love to play an X2 Zero Project where you can fully play as ZERO after his 3 parts are recovered from the X-Hunters.

That's what I had originally setup in the old, old X2 Zero Project I was working on many years ago. Zero would be playable after you obtain his parts, X-Hunters were able to be encountered right after the introduction stage and various other ideas. But the old version that I threw out into the public is back before I was using any kind of compiler so it's all hand written into the ROM itself, much like the original Zero Project versions for X3.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 10:37:46 am by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #1027 on: October 26, 2021, 01:36:18 pm »
Justin, did you use an editor to hack this game in high-level code, or did you hack the hex and use a disassembler?
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 26, 2021, 10:59:48 pm »
Used a disassembler, no editor was used as there's nothing really specific for this game.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

ViperAcidZX

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 09, 2021, 09:06:50 pm »
I've played through this ROM hack and absolutely loved it, it brings new life to Mega Man X3 and fixes the longstanding annoyance I had with the original game concerning Zero's purpose as a playable character. I can't thank you enough justin3009 and everyone who contributed to this project. That said, is there any way this can be compatible with the Relocalization Project for Mega Man X3? I've tried to use them together and it's either I don't see the translation changes (other than the newer logo) or it freezes the game after patching a Zero Project patched ROM with the relocalization patch.

SuxMenner

• View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 10, 2021, 10:32:59 am »
I've played through this ROM hack and absolutely loved it, it brings new life to Mega Man X3 and fixes the longstanding annoyance I had with the original game concerning Zero's purpose as a playable character. I can't thank you enough justin3009 and everyone who contributed to this project. That said, is there any way this can be compatible with the Relocalization Project for Mega Man X3? I've tried to use them together and it's either I don't see the translation changes (other than the newer logo) or it freezes the game after patching a Zero Project patched ROM with the relocalization patch.

You should apply the relocalization patch first, works out for me.

ViperAcidZX

• View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 12, 2021, 01:12:45 am »
You should apply the relocalization patch first, works out for me.
Is there anything specific I need to do? Because I applied the Relocalization patch first, then took to retranslated ROM to patch files from Github, ran Asar MMX3.bat on the ROM, then took the same ROM and put it into the Altas folder and ran the Atlas.exe - X3 (Everything).bat file and it undid the retranslation text.

SuxMenner

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 12, 2021, 09:40:17 am »
Is there anything specific I need to do? Because I applied the Relocalization patch first, then took to retranslated ROM to patch files from Github, ran Asar MMX3.bat on the ROM, then took the same ROM and put it into the Altas folder and ran the Atlas.exe - X3 (Everything).bat file and it undid the retranslation text.

Yeah I fact checked my files and I was wrong, Zero Project does indeed replace the Relocalization text, I guess I didn't really check for if the text had truly changed after patching both files onto X3 a few months ago and I hadn't truly done a full playthrough of the patched rom to really know.

In this case, yeah we should contact either the guy who made the relocalization in order to be compatible with ZP or get someone else to do it, if Justin isn't interested in doing it himself that is.

Funny thing about this is that now we have three very needed X3 patches that are seemingly incompatible with each other, at first I thought it was only the MSU-1 patch which leaves X3 ZP with glitched sprites and now we have the relocalization which doesn't really work aside from the logo change.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 12, 2021, 10:36:34 am »
The reason they're not compatible is that Zero Project actually moves the text to a different part of the rom than what Relocalization uses. From what I understand, Zero Project relocates a few blocks of code after resizing the rom to make room for its changes.

That being said, all of the text Zero Project injects are stored in the GitHub project, so theoretically it should be fairly easy to replace the game text by changing the text files in the project and building it. But it would be a matter of remaking the Relocalization patch on top of Zero Project.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 13, 2021, 08:04:37 am »
There's what, like 15 lines in the whole game? Why not get a table file and hex editor and rewrite the revised dialog in yourself.

Then you can release it here.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: November 13, 2021, 02:58:47 pm »
There's what, like 15 lines in the whole game? Why not get a table file and hex editor and rewrite the revised dialog in yourself.

Then you can release it here.

While a good suggestion, to help them actually do it (assuming they know not how), first take the unpatched rom, and rom with the patch applied and open them both in a hex editor.  Then copy the output into a diff checker (available online, or there are plugins for notepad++).  That will show you exactly what the patch changed and where.  Then you can copy the hex from the section you want to update in the unpatched rom.  Now open a rom patched with the zero project.  Search for that same pattern (containing the text from the unpatched version).  Now manually replace that with what it was changed to in the diff checked version.  Make sense?  Congrats, now you can do hex editing!

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 13, 2021, 03:41:20 pm »
Something important to note, Zero Project actually has completely different scripts depending on whether you're playing as X or Zero. justin3009 modified the script to reflect there being multiple playable characters, and separated out the script files for each character so that they can have different text.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 13, 2021, 11:40:50 pm »
Also, just to remind people, the text files are free to edit in the actual source. Like, straight up there to edit. Once you recompile the entire thing, it'll reflect those changes immediately.

You can definitely import the relocalized script just modifying the text files, however, the VWF they use would have to be a massive rewrite on my end or someone else undertaking it. I'm pretty sure they had notes on what they modified though and where so it's not impossible to do.