News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Giftpia English Translation [DEAD]  (Read 3169 times)

Lisa

• View Profile
Giftpia English Translation [DEAD]
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:17:05 pm »
Hey everybody! I'm here to say that a friend and I are starting to translate Giftpia for the Nintendo Gamecube!

Firstly, I'm handling translating images and inserting them in while my friend is handling the text side of things. Hopefully we can get through this soon...

But... we would really like some help with this to be honest...

We're having some...  :banghead: painful  :banghead: trouble with ISO re builders... and I literally cant even see if these textures I've made look nice. You can DM me for advice or something, I don't know what the mods stance on asking for help here is :/

Anyways thanks for reading this!

January 11, 2019, 02:43:42 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey everybody! I'm here to say that a friend and I are starting to translate Giftpia for the Nintendo Gamecube!

Firstly, I'm handling translating images and inserting them in while my friend is handling the text side of things. Hopefully we can get through this soon...

But... we would really like some help with this to be honest...

We're having some...  :banghead: painful  :banghead: trouble with ISO re builders... and I literally cant even see if these textures I've made look nice. You can DM me for advice or something, I don't know what the mods stance on asking for help here is :/

Anyways thanks for reading this!

I have good news! We got all of that resolved!! I just had to rip the ISO with a different tool and then I had to replace the starting dol file! Now everytime I rip it, it works perfectly fine!

As of now, I've pretty much translated all of the UI textures. It wasn't really that hard to be honest and I also had enough time to make them look really nice as well.

Now it's time to mess with the files in the giftpia.dat file! This is where everything that isnt thp files, audio, main menu code, or UI is stored... hopefully I don't miss any textures...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 01:54:46 pm by Lisa »

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Re: Giftpia English Translation
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:02:13 pm »
I was reading about this game to be recommended only for people with advanced Japanese learning  :o  Surely will be an exciting experience to live this game :)

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:00:27 pm »
I was reading about this game to be recommended only for people with advanced Japanese learning  :o  Surely will be an exciting experience to live this game :)

I can vouch for that, there's even a character that talks in pure Katakana... and they are the one that provides the tutorial for the game. Even then, texture translations are very tricky. This game has some low res textures that aren't that big, so they mess with alot of Kanji.

Fun Fact: There was a poster in the Town Hall lobby that had both Katakana and Kanji in it that directly translated to "Nobility of Fee". Along with asking a few friends what it said, due to the compressed nature of the text, I had to kinda stretch myself with how to translate that into English. I decided to turn it into a 10,000 Mane (That's the ingame currency [and it's also pronounced mah-neigh])Fine warning since there was also a poster beside it that was a warning against eating purple mushrooms.

As of right now, I think a build went wrong and caused something to mess up the game on splash. I think when a program acidentally closed while it was loading a new file in may have been the problem. So I'm going to test if it really was that.

January 13, 2019, 04:56:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So right now I'm having a dilemma with the textures.

I have to replace some .dat files in the giftpia.dat in order to change textures used by the game that aren't GUI or title related. Replacing files for anything outside of the overworld works. I've tried for so long to replace the textures for the overworld that I've decided to stop making them built in and instead I'm going to make an english texture pack for the game instead. This means that it won't really play on anything else but Dolphin, but I'm alright with that to be honest. Unless if anybody has a solution to this problem, I think this may be the safest route to go
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:56:29 pm by Lisa »

snackycactus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:30:31 am »
Wow, I would love to see this happen. I don't have any hacking experience, but I am a progressional developer and artist and would be happy to assist if you need any graphics, signs, etc made that match the game's art-style. I'm very excited to see where this goes!

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 09:18:28 am »
I use Gcrebuilder to extract files, later redo the iso from root folder.

Btw I'm only translating Baten kaitos origins to spanish, some friends made the tools.
This game have near all texts inside file_60006009

Gc has some interesting japanese only games like Kururin squash but use the japanese bios font.
Looks weird on pal gamecube modded

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 01:54:13 pm »
Hey everybody it’s me.

I’m going to finally clarify it, this project is dead. It turned out to be too much work and not enough people who were willing to help work on it.

It’s sad, but it’s the truth and I hate that it turned out like that. In fact it was really abandoned months ago...

I don’t think I’ll ever return to it since I’m already planning to make my own game anyways, if you want to pick it up, go ahead... I’d be perfectly fine with it.

I hope to see that come to fruition and thanks for the hope you had... sorry that it turned out like this though...