News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Firebrand: A Ghost and Goblins Tale Retranslation  (Read 1289 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Firebrand: A Ghost and Goblins Tale Retranslation
« on: January 08, 2019, 06:28:52 am »

Update By: Neil

After several years of painstaking work Pennywise, catfoodmoney, and team have finished a retranslation of the Gameboy classic RPG known as Gargoyle's Quest in North America. As is typical of Pennywise's work, significant care was taken to ensure everything looks as good as possible with significant work to the menus and even a title screen translation courtesy of FlashPV.

The original translation was reportedly heavily abbreviated, something this retranslation doesn't suffer from. If you're a fan of the series or just looking for a classic portable RPG to dig into, this is a great place to start!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Firebrand: A Ghost and Goblins Tale Retranslation
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:35:28 pm »
Awesome! I always wanted to play this, but I had sold my Gameboy before it came out.

Thanks for your hard work!

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 02:02:24 pm »
Sweet! Most of the Japanese copies of this game are cheaper than the already translated ones! Glad to see some old games getting retranslations, especially if their Japanese versions are cheaper than their Western versions.
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

Bladix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 04:52:34 pm »
This game have great graphics, atmosphere and nice big sprites. In the past I've already finished it in japanese (using some faqs) because of the better gameplay balance than the us (early harder boss fight -> easier after 3/4 game)

however I think the author is wrong when changing names of 'red arremer' and 'demon village'  with the fake names of the western editions..somehow miss the point of translate this version:\
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:23:00 pm by Bladix »

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 06:50:21 am »
It's been quite an experience playing this game again. It was one of my favorites in my early teenage years, and playing it again with a brand new translation has let me a little out of place ;D ;D ;D

Certainly, the official translation was lacking (some dialogs with a "yes/no" answer were a cryptic mess), but with the new one the gameplay improves a lot and is much more enjoyable. Thanks a lot to everyone involved in this project!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:37:58 am by aqualung »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 08:35:30 am »
hovewer I think the author is wrong when changing names of 'red arremer' and 'demon village'  with the fake names of the western editions..somehow miss the point of translate this version:\
To be fair he has been named a lot of things over time.  Perhaps a Red Arremer or Red Devil version should be considered?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:39 am »
I already explained in the readme why I chose to name him Firebrand instead of Red Arremer. It's an inside joke and if you really want to split hairs, he should really be called Red Arima.

While I'm at it, the Japanese name is just as made up as the English name. I wouldn't mind doing a Gargoyle with No Name patch seeing as how he doesn't have a legitimate name.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:43:21 am by Pennywise »

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 02:00:50 pm »
Thanks for this amazing work! :thumbsup:

GeoX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 12:29:27 am »
Great work!  I'm curious about one thing: I noticed that in this version, when you obtain items lying on the ground in the overhead sections, the icons somewhat confusingly don't disappear.  This really just looks like a bug to me that was fixed for the US release (where it definitely doesn't happen); I don't understand how the translation could have caused it, but can someone confirm if this happens in the untranslated version?

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 10:01:31 am »
I don't know if I'd call it a bug per se. It looks like more of an oversight if anything. I could look at the US ROM and see how they fixed it and possibly implement it at a later time.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 06:50:52 pm »
This game have great graphics, atmosphere and nice big sprites. In the past I've already finished it in japanese (using some faqs) because of the better gameplay balance than the us (early harder boss fight -> easier after 3/4 game)

however I think the author is wrong when changing names of 'red arremer' and 'demon village'  with the fake names of the western editions..somehow miss the point of translate this version:\

Would you have a link where all the differences of balance are listed?

Bladix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 05:06:36 pm »
https://gng.kontek.net/gnggq1.html

the 'ultimate' password for japanese version is しししし-しししし

for patched is LLLL-LLLL

but can someone confirm if this happens in the untranslated version?

sure, 'bug' present