News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Underrated Games  (Read 5839 times)

The Best NSMB64

• View Profile
Underrated Games
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:15:21 pm »
This is a thread around (underrated games, obviously.) There are some games that I loved to play back in the day (and some that I still play.)
But some of these are EXTREMELY underrated, such as Pac-Man World 2, Pac-n-Roll, Battalion Wars, Battalion Wars 2, and Namco Museum Remix.
Most of these games are hardly even talked about (and even if they are, they will usually be done on a obscure channel that only has around 100 views on its videos.

So, what are your favorite underrated games?

Teeporage777

• rom hacker of mario games
    • View Profile
Re: Underrated Games
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:22:09 am »
 I really like Star Ocean second Story. seems to get a bad rap from a lot of people i meet. final Fantasy 8 is also just dogged by most people i talk to about ff games. Not exactly sure if i would consider ff8 underrated. Just going by what most people tell me. Also, Alone In The Dark The New Nightmare seems under appreciated. I guess after the enormous effect Resident Evil had on the population, it seemed to "die" away from most peoples thoughts. I play it a lot though.
"..But it doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore.."

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:03:32 pm »
Donkey Kong (Gameboy):
Also known as Donkey Kong 94, it's a masterpiece of unfolding game design that also made huge strides in the creation of the modern Mario moveset.

Mischief Makers (N64):
It's a game where you play as a green haired mecha-maid picking up ball people, animals and giant mecha and slamming them around like ragdolls until they die or explode, it's also from the creators of Gunstar Heroes.

Final Fantasy Legend (Gameboy)
aka Makai Toushi SaGa, the first game in the SaGa franchise, the first mobile RPG, and the inspiration for the Pokémon series, it's a bit clunky these days but it's definitely a good time.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High n' Heavy - Warrior Queen || https://youtu.be/xyrpwteptig

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:44:31 am »
It's hard to imagine Pokemon taking inspiration from Final Fantasy Legend.
Now, Megami Tensei maybe. (if to stretch it to something more child- and casual-friendly)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 02:20:55 am »
It's hard to imagine Pokemon taking inspiration from Final Fantasy Legend.
Now, Megami Tensei maybe. (if to stretch it to something more child- and casual-friendly)
I remember hearing that it was part SaGa, part Dragon Quest V, and part Mother series.  MT/SMT probably did too.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:55:33 am »
Just Breed for NES/FC.
Alcahest for SNES.

Oh and Layla for NES/FC, too.

Now, Megami Tensei maybe.
The original ? I think I tried to start an adventure for something like 10 minutes, but found it extremely boring. It looked like a huge grindfest as usual with pre-1990 JRPGs.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 06:17:10 am »
Super Turrican
Mega Turrican
Super Turrican 2

These games are a "run and gun" side-scrolling games with some Metroid-esque exploration.

It's like Samus got it on with the Contra guys, and gave birth to Bren McGuire (the Turrican MC).

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:58 am »
Final Fantasy Legend (Gameboy)
aka Makai Toushi SaGa, the first game in the SaGa franchise, the first mobile RPG, and the inspiration for the Pokémon series, it's a bit clunky these days but it's definitely a good time.
Is the Wonderswan version not a substantial improvement?

I never did finish the Nasty Dungeon in SaGa II.  Some day.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 10:32:23 am »
Super Turrican
Mega Turrican
Super Turrican 2
I can remember having the C64 version of Turrican 2 on tape as a kid, it was really good, so thumbs up for that.

Kickle Cubicle NES, nice single screen puzzler from Irem, pretty much forgotten now but I did like that.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 11:25:25 am »
Gotcha Force for Gamecube. It's a game where you play as toy robots fighting each other. If you liked Robo Pit for Saturn, you'll probably like this. It's different though because you're fighting multiple enemies at once.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 12:50:30 pm »
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0007/taidan1/page02.htm
This is the page Wikipedia cited as the source for the SaGa-Pokémon thing, I can't read it but the gist was apparently that SaGa was the game that proved that the GB could handle RPGs not just puzzles and platformers.

As for the Wonderswan verI haven't played it but I hear that it's a pretty substantial improvement, I know they added a preview feature to monster evos so it's no longer such a pain in the ass to level them,
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High n' Heavy - Warrior Queen || https://youtu.be/xyrpwteptig

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 02:51:17 pm »
Final Fantasy Legend 3. It's definitely the black sheep of the series, having a more traditional leveling, equipment, and magic system, but it did a lot of genuinely ingenious stuff that you just don't see in games. Your characters start as 2 humans, and 2 mutants, but any of them can change into beastmen, monsters, cyborgs, or robots, and there's like, 30-40 of EACH of those. It makes for some really awesome party customization. The story is completely butchered by the English translation, but the story itself is really good. Imagine a proto-Chrono Trigger. You're traveling to different time periods to change the future, and it handles it really well. You can even customize your ship with different parts and the ship takes place in some battles, offering artillery support. The end drags out a little bit, but it's a really fun RPG all in all.

Another underrated game I really like is a game on Steam called Khimera: Destroy all Monster Girls. Despite the name it's not ecchi trash. It's a 2D platformer with Mega Man elements, and some of the best writing I've seen in years. The fact that it's free is honestly mindblowing because it's a really well made game, with a lot of content, and a lot of fun. Definitely worth checking out.

Finally, Jaws on the NES. It's not the best game ever, but it's just good fun. Imagine like, if any 80's arcade game had adventure and RPG elements. You collect seashells to level up, find items, and eventually power up enough to kill the titular Jaws. It's got points, and lives, and the gameplay is very arcade-y, but it's a solid game all in all.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 05:03:59 pm »
Almost any good SMS game (Power Strike 2, Land of Illusion, Alex Kidd, Zillion, Kenseiden, Golvellius, Jurassic Park, WB3, Star Wars, etc.)

Fantasy Zone 2 & FZ2 DX - Defender-like Shooter

NES: Boulder Dash, Solomon's Key 1 & 2, Mendel Palace, Magic of Scheherazade, Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti, Metal Storm, ​Max Warrior/Isolated Warrior

Bionic Commando (GB)

Starsiege: Tribes - MP FPS

Typing of the Dead - Typing Challenge

I, Robot (ARC) - TPS

Galaxy Force II (ARC) - Rail Shooter

​S.T.U.N. Runner (ARC) - Hover Car Racing

Willow (ARC) - Action Platformer w/ minor RPG elements

King's Quest III (PC) - Quest Adventure

Langrisser series - SRPG

Pirates! (PC, 2004) - RPG/Sim

Populous 3 (PC) - RTS

North & South (NES/AMI) - TBS/Action

King's Valley 1-2 (MSX) - Puzzle Platformer

Maze of Galious (MSX) - Platform Adventure

Rampart (ARC)

Master of Monsters (MD) - TBS

​Gekibo: Gekisha Boy (PCE) - Photographer Sim/Action

Wonder Boy/Monster World series - Platform Adventure

Herzog Zwei (MD) - RTS

King Colossus (MD) - Action Adventure

General Chaos (MD) - RTT/RTS

Ranger X (MD) - Mech Action

Bubba N Stix (MD) - Puzzle Platformer

Panorama Cotton (MD) - Rail Shooter

Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen (MD) - 4-Player Fighting

Soulstar (MCD) - Rail Shooter/Free-Roaming Shooter

Puzzle & Action 1-2 (MD/ARC) - Mini-Games

Light Crusader (MD) - Action Adventure

Phantom 2040 (MD/SNES) - Platform Adventure

Pocahontas (MD) - PoP-style Puzzle Platformer

Mini-reviews & notes: https://minirevver.weebly.com/innovative-games.html
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 02:05:06 am »
7th Saga (Elnard) for the SNES is a vastly underrated RPG in my honest opinion. Aside from the somewhat weak ending, everything else about it is fantastic. There's seven unique characters to choose from, alongside whichever partner (if any) the player can select, giving this game a lot of replay value. The gameplay, music and graphics are all great as well. As a matter of fact, the sharper graphics and clearer music in 7th Saga is arguably better than that of Mystic Ark. Another very interesting feature in this game is the crystal ball (radar system) which is used to see places, treasures and even enemies. This lets the player actively seek out or avoid enemies altogether if one so desires, meaning that random annoying encounters are not much of an issue in this game unlike many other similar RPGs such as in the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series.

Lufia: The Ruins of Lore (GBA) is another great and underrated game that is often seen as the least popular in the series because it's a side story (gaiden) that doesn't connect directly to the main plot. This is a rather foolish reason to not like a game in all honesty. As with the example above, the graphics, music and gameplay are all perfectly fine. Besides that, the story and characters are not at all bad either. Furthermore, the class system used in this game is great and fun to play around with, alongside the ability to befriend certain enemies and training them to fight alongside you using the "catch" system (along with an evolution system similar to that of Pokémon). Besides, how can anyone actually claim that the GBC Lufia is better than the GBA one...? Lufia: The Ruins of Lore is about as good as Lunar Legend is for the GBA.

And lastly, Secret of the Stars (Aqutallion) for the SNES isn't that bad of a game either, despite what many others might say. I've completed this game before and found it pretty fun. Changing between the main and side parties was an interesting feature. Besides that, it certainly is a million times better than EarthBound which flat out sucked for more reasons than I can remember (bad story and characters, annoyingly high random encounter rate and just over all bad gameplay to name a few reasons). Now, I better run and duck for cover before a bunch of angry EarthBound fans start throwing insults my way. :D
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 10:45:22 am »
but any of them can change into beastmen, monsters, cyborgs, or robots, and there's like, 30-40 of EACH of those.
The transformation is based on Exp Level and the character's "element" (a stat which is fixed per character and hidden, only revealed in the manual) so there's not that much room for customization.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 07:36:16 pm »
Atomic Robo-Kid: One of the few games from my childhood that I give a toss about.  It's a side scrolling shooter with a cool sort of biomechanical thing going on, you can pretty well fly anywhere and weapons all have uses (Missile isn't the easiest to use but can shoot down projectiles, for exmaple), and it's somewhat varied in levels with bosses bigger than the screen.  Came out on Genesis and Turbografx, I'm not sure which one is better (most TG16 games I've played are the best versions), but I always had the former.  I think this started in arcade but I've actually never played that version.

Mort the Chicken: Think Sonic 3D Blast on the PS1, but fully 3D and you're a chicken saving the birds from cubes.  Also, there's no fancy Sonic style segments and the levels aren't divided.  In all honesty it's underrated for a reason but I'm pulled in by it somehow.  Probably the chicken jokes and my lame sense of humor.

Rocky Rodent: SNES platformer by Irem with the usual quality, and it's a cross between Sonic and Mario.  You get to stab people and climb up platforms with a fabulous mohawk.  That's honestly all that needs to be said if you ask me.

Chaos Seed: It has a translation here, it has a HG101 article, and I still don't hear much about it.  Some have explained it as Dungeon Keeper in the form of a SNES-style Action RPG, but really it kinda defies most definitions that I can think of.  There's a Saturn version but it isn't translated into any other language (and you really need that tutorial).

Battle Pinball: The Last Battle's aesthetic put into Pinball.  Plays kinda like Kirby's Pinball Land but with multiple characters.  SNES.

Super Uno: The SNES has Uno, and it's worth playing!  No translation though.

Pinball Quest: I'm listing this here because of the original idea of a pinball RPG.  Given it's on the NES it's as Dragon Questy as you expect it, and it may not all work out but it's interesting.  Some of Zen Pinball's tables are obviously influenced by this in that that some have RPG mechanics (most notably Skyrim more-or-less is also an RPG), but they're all grounded to one table.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:28:58 pm by Chronosplit »

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 02:03:45 pm »
Definitely Might and Magic for the Nes (and to a somewhat lesser extent, its sequel.) An impressive soundtrack by Masaharu Iwata,
improved graphics over the PC versions, and overall better gameplay.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 04:09:54 pm »
I'm sure I've mentioned this before... but WANDERING SOULS

This game is free, hugely entertaining, and nobody in the world knows it exists:

https://youtu.be/AvJMlDIvf_o

It very well may be the single greatest beat-em-up ever made.  And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates beat-em-ups

EDIT:  For some gameplay footage that actually gives you a decent idea of what the game is like, go to 16:44 of this, and watch for maybe a minute or two:   https://youtu.be/DJBZWrs78C8?t=1004
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:26:45 pm by Disch »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 09:18:01 pm »
Speaking of free games, Tales of Maj'Eyal is somewhat underrated (as in how most roguelikes are).  Definitely one of the best roguelikes to come out of the recent boom of such games.  There's a very large amount to say about it, but I don't want to get too long winded on one thing.  To put it short though:

-Tons of class/race options (many of which are unlocked over time, but there are ways around that.  Also there are even more opened by addons).  The levelup system also provides a lot of customization.  Some of these classes are pretty outside of the box too, like being a creature living in a hivemind that wields solipsism as a weapon.
-You know how Golden Sun had tons of magical artifacts themed around all sorts of things with special moves?  That doesn't have anything on ToME.  The stuff you'll randomly find is quite astounding, from Diablo-style egos to items with full backstories in lore with properties that will completely change your game strategy.
-Though the plot itself is about as deep as you'd expect from the genre, the lore and worldbuilding is enough to make most JRPGs blush.
-The kind of heart and dedication that that produces DLC that's actually worth buying and gets updated years later (no kidding, next major update is going to add a new class to one DLC).

It's 90% free on the website and donators get additional benefits.  The version you find on Steam/GOG is the same you get as a donator, and that's sort of true with DLC too as donating on-site gives you a currency to buy DLC with.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:34:57 pm by Chronosplit »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 10:37:14 pm »
Final Fantasy Legend 3. It's definitely the black sheep of the series, having a more traditional leveling, equipment, and magic system, but it did a lot of genuinely ingenious stuff that you just don't see in games. Your characters start as 2 humans, and 2 mutants, but any of them can change into beastmen, monsters, cyborgs, or robots, and there's like, 30-40 of EACH of those. It makes for some really awesome party customization. The story is completely butchered by the English translation, but the story itself is really good. Imagine a proto-Chrono Trigger. You're traveling to different time periods to change the future, and it handles it really well. You can even customize your ship with different parts and the ship takes place in some battles, offering artillery support. The end drags out a little bit, but it's a really fun RPG all in all.
Would you say the DS version is superior? Or is it more of a completely different game?

I'm sure I've mentioned this before... but WANDERING SOULS

This game is free, hugely entertaining, and nobody in the world knows it exists:

https://youtu.be/AvJMlDIvf_o

It very well may be the single greatest beat-em-up ever made.  And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates beat-em-ups

EDIT:  For some gameplay footage that actually gives you a decent idea of what the game is like, go to 16:44 of this, and watch for maybe a minute or two:   https://youtu.be/DJBZWrs78C8?t=1004
Looks kinda drab, tbh.  There's no sense of solidity or impact, and the tinny synthesizer doesn't help much either.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!