News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Brave Battle Saga / Barver Battle Saga on Steam?  (Read 505 times)

Aquillion

• View Profile
Brave Battle Saga / Barver Battle Saga on Steam?
« on: September 06, 2019, 04:52:39 pm »
It seems like, of all games, Brave Battle Saga / Barver Battle Saga is now on Steam.  (It was one of the few translations removed from Romhacking.net after a request from the copyright holders.)

I haven't purchased it yet (I noticed it because it's in a bundle), but based on the screenshots...  that's Djinn and SteveMartin's translation, isn't it?  The third screenshot in particular looks exactly identical to the one here.

Also, I was under the impression that this was an unlicensed bootleg that used graphics ripped from other games...?  Seeing it on Steam is completely bizarre in any case.  But I figured I'd ask here just in case anyone knew what was up with the translation.

travel27

• View Profile
Re: Brave Battle Saga / Barver Battle Saga on Steam?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 05:16:57 pm »
BBS is a decent game.  That, plus Dragon View...those two games alone make the 1.99 price tag worth it IMO.  Dragon View was incredibly under rated for the snes.  I'd purchase it just for those two, though I'd love to see Beggar Prince thrown in instead of the other 5 that I could not care less about.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 05:19:29 pm »
As far as I know, both Djinn and SteveMartin were paid for their work on the game. Piko also apparently hired someone to create original graphics to replace the stolen stuff.

That said, given Piko's past with Steam and emulators, they probably bundled the ROM with an emulator and broke the terms of the license for the emulator like they've done in the past.

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 05:53:15 pm »
As far as I know, both Djinn and SteveMartin were paid for their work on the game. Piko also apparently hired someone to create original graphics to replace the stolen stuff.
Huh, that's a cool way to approach it.  I'm a bit surprised they'd go to that length for such an obscure game, though.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 03:17:37 pm »
BBS is a decent game.  That, plus Dragon View...those two games alone make the 1.99 price tag worth it IMO.
The Happy Video Game Nerd had nice things to say about Nightshade.  (How amusing! The bundle description says "follow the romantic tales of ninjas from the Sengoku Period in anime visual novel adventure"; the actual game description is a noir superhero crime-fighter.)

And the Spellcasting series is supposed to be a staple of classic text-based gaming. 
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 06:35:27 am »
The Spellcasting series is excellent if you like older text adventures, especially the Sorcerer-style ones, and don't mind some adult humor...  but it very much suffers from the game-design problems of older text adventures in terms of difficulty and "unfairness."  You have to save often, in different save slots so you can go back if you find you completely screwed yourself over ages ago, and it's very possible for an early mistake to wreck things for you later on with little warning.