News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FF1 MMC5 Disassembly Updates  (Read 204794 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: FF1 MMC5 Disassembly Updates
« Reply #600 on: June 03, 2020, 06:51:08 pm »
Damn. That sucks.
It can really be bummer when your machine starts having trouble.
I've been crawling along on an ancient artifact for a few month now and it really slows down productivity.

Anyway, I hope things work out for you. In the mean time I'll keep plugging away at the script.

June 04, 2020, 09:38:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
On a complete side note:

One of my dreams is to someday be able to create a version of Final Fantasy that, in addition to all the extra content added in it's remakes, has a fully expanded "World of the Past" scenario added.

Basically, when you go through the time warp thingy you appear outside the Shrine of Chaos instead of immediately inside it. Then you have to go on a final quest to gain access to the Shrine.

One idea I always had was to actually have the party go around the various places where key items were left for them in order to grandfather paradox the items in place.

Perhaps the Chaos Fiends could be on a rampage causing trouble for the various kingdoms and you help them out and in return they keep the key items for your future selves.

They could even be hanging out in the bonus dungeon locations where your battle with them causes the dungeons to become the unstable places they are in the present.

Some of the information we have from the Dissidia games could also be used to make the various towns more interesting in the past.

I think that would be pretty cool.

Thank you for reading this brief intermission!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:38:29 pm by Vanya »

Jiggers

• View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Page
« Reply #601 on: June 04, 2020, 10:08:29 pm »
While I've backed up the project and my data isn't really at risk (its the CPU Cooler that broke), my whole environment is kind of wonky. That is, all the unique settings and colours I had for Notepad++ are gone.

So in this brief intermission I will think about what I want to be doing...

1. Fix all the bugs.
2. Re-arrange all the maps so the minimaps look nice.
3. Finish all the extra battle commands.
4. Make sure SCAN still works.
5. Add Reflect to spell logic.
6. Finish multi-magic targeting.
7. Re-write the level up stat code.
8. Add in support for more tilesets.
9. Add in support for a second world map.
10. Fix all the bugs.

Was there anything else? I've complained about the scope bloat since like a year or two ago now and it keeps happening! Help!
I know exactly what I'm doing. I just don't know what effect it's going to have.

I wrote some NES music! Its a legal ROM file. - I got a Ko-Fi page too.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 05, 2020, 12:33:27 am »
I think that's a pretty full plate there. Sticking to that is a pretty good plan in the long run.

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #603 on: June 10, 2020, 08:36:52 pm »
Folks,

Sorry to share this but someone by the name of Sune came into the RHDN Discord and informed us that it appears Disch passed away on the 3rd of June.

Quote from: Sune
Sorry to come to your community to bear bad news. I'm here to inform you all that Disch has passed away last week on the third of June. I know he was pretty active within the ROM community, and he was a great guy and programmer.

https://discord.com/channels/266412086291070988/266412086291070988/720383320344625183

I knew very little about him except that he posted a lot here and his posts were always interesting, friendly and well informed. This looks to be the last topic he was posting in and I know FF1 was very close to his heart so I figured you'd like to know.

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 10, 2020, 10:52:07 pm »
RIP Disch.

You were a legend in the community and a very kind person, always willing to help everyone out and were always so informative. You'll always be remembered fondly.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 11, 2020, 10:44:30 am »
Very sad to hear about Disch :( He was always very helpful often being the first to reply whenever I asked for help about NES hacking stuff. Rest In Peace, Disch. Thank you for everything that you’ve done for this community.
Creator of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jmatz1995

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 11, 2020, 12:45:51 pm »
I'm very sad to hear.
He was a great help for so many of us.
I don't have the proper words.

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 11, 2020, 05:15:04 pm »
how though ?? what happened exactly ?? :(

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #608 on: June 11, 2020, 06:40:31 pm »
Jiggers, I hope you don't mind us taking over your topic for a moment to acknowledge this. If there was elsewhere to put it I would have.

Kuja, I'm afraid I don't have more details than that. I am trying to find out more without prying (at the very least to verify it but I have very little reason to doubt it and feel almost awful for mentioning it). Rest assured if I do get more details I will post them here.

Jiggers

• View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Page
« Reply #609 on: June 12, 2020, 03:43:15 pm »
I don't mind. There's not really any other place on this forum for something like this.

It really is hard to figure out what to say about someone who has had such a big impact on your life, when you still hardly know them. I never thought someone like him would acknowledge a dreamy-eyed newbie like me. But somehow he always knew just how much to help to set me on the right direction, neither giving too much nor too little help. The few rare times he "did everything" for me, I think he knew I wasn't ready for that level yet--but by doing it, he showed me how I could be. One of my proudest moments was coming up with the same solution he came up with. He was a good mentor.

This won't be the last time I write it; Thank you, Disch.

I know exactly what I'm doing. I just don't know what effect it's going to have.

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 12, 2020, 07:50:05 pm »
It isn't a complete picture, of course, but based on his activities here, he definitely seemed like a pretty great guy and I know I won't be the only one who misses him. I would also be interested in learning more details about what happened should they come to light - according to his profile, he was only 37 :'(.

Requiescat in pace.

Jiggers

• View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Page
« Reply #611 on: June 29, 2020, 11:38:17 pm »
I don't know how to continue this thread. It both doesn't feel right to continue on here, and doesn't feel right to just close up and move. I've never been in a situation like this before, and the last thing I want to do is hurt anyone's feelings.

Talking with a friend outside the rom hacking community, I was given the advice to put this thread to rest, and let it be a memorial to Disch.

Talking with Vanya, and considering the scope of the project--being mostly my edits the idea of starting a fresh thread in the Personal Projects forum seems more fitting for the content.

So it seems the best course of action is to let this thread be, and start anew there.

If this is the wrong way forward, please let me know.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 30, 2020, 05:04:16 am »
You should continue here. Life goes on :)
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 30, 2020, 05:18:48 pm »
Whatever you decide, Jiggers, you have my full support.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 30, 2020, 08:43:11 pm »
If it wasn't for Disch, I probably would have never gotten into romhacking. I remember as a kid constantly updating Slick Productions looking for the latest new FF1 hacks or for progress on his FF2 editor, Jade.

I've always deeply appreciated the guy. I'm sad to learn he's gone.

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #615 on: July 01, 2020, 04:48:28 pm »
I don't know how to continue this thread. It both doesn't feel right to continue on here, and doesn't feel right to just close up and move. I've never been in a situation like this before, and the last thing I want to do is hurt anyone's feelings.

Talking with a friend outside the rom hacking community, I was given the advice to put this thread to rest, and let it be a memorial to Disch.

Talking with Vanya, and considering the scope of the project--being mostly my edits the idea of starting a fresh thread in the Personal Projects forum seems more fitting for the content.

So it seems the best course of action is to let this thread be, and start anew there.

If this is the wrong way forward, please let me know.

Yeah, it's a bit of a tough one. If a new topic doesn't break the flow too much then starting that up, placing a link to it here (and a link back here in the new one) then getting this one locked could be a good way to close it off.

For what it's worth I've put a little tribute up to him on my own site as well, just his profile from here and a wee message.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #616 on: July 02, 2020, 01:11:05 pm »
or for progress on his FF2 editor, Jade.
Disch made Jade, you say?

Holy crap there are some old names on there.

;D

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Jiggers

• View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Page
« Reply #617 on: July 03, 2020, 02:45:55 pm »
Hmm... alright. So long as its not upsetting anyone, I'll continue here. Easier than making a new thread and all that. Updates, then!

Minimap work is halted until a .bin to Tiled converter can be made. I've been bashing my head against it off and on, but the frustration of learning Python keeps getting in the way. So I'm leaving it up to any volunteers. I tried to explain the logic of what I want to accomplish here: https://pastebin.com/khzZn0qN - Everything else, including the Tiled example file, is in the "maps.zip" file in the maps folder in the Git.

The music driver has been tweaked a ton. The score now uses Constants for non-note data, like loops, volume changes, etc. It LOOKS messier, but should be easier to understand for everyone. I've organized the features, streamlined the triangle volume control, and you can now do triangle fades inside the score--not just inside the menu!

The original game used 16 bytes of Zero Page RAM for each channel--which wasn't much, as there was only 3 channels. 5 channels + all the extra bytes I used for added loops, transposition, and volume controls was pretty messy. I re-did all that, using bit toggles instead of whole bites, and along with removing all the extra pointers from the original 16 bytes of ZP, EVERYTHING NOW FITS INTO 14 BYTES!! Or was it 13? I can't remember now. I wanted to add vibrato but I need to research how that's done first.

I don't think any of the channel info needs to be in Zero Page either, as the channel pointers are loaded into another 2 bytes of ZP to be actually used as a pointer? But I'm leaving it there now because... I don't know what else to do with that fancy RAM.

With Battle stuff, getting a preemptive attack now has a 50/50 chance for every enemy who doesn't resist the Sleep status to start the battle asleep. Like you just stumbled into their camp!

Next update is going to include a few things, if I can get it stable.

I've been working on adjusting the classes up to 16, or 8 base classes, 8 promoted classes. To make room for the 4 extra sprites, I've had to shift graphics data about some. As far as I can tell, its all working. But since I completely broke the main menu, I can't tell much. :P

One goal I have is to make 1000 bytes free in the fixed bank, so that someone can put some DPCM audio data in it. On that quest, I saw a table of bytes (shop types) that was just a list of 00s, 01s, 02s, 03, 04s, 05, 06s, and 1 07. So I re-jiggered the way shop types are loaded, which resulted in also expanding shop data to handle 16 shops of each type. Since each clinic and inn is the same ID and uses 1 door now, there's still plenty of space in the town map tileset to add these new shops. Once all these shops are used and have inventory, it will probably save space to delete the pointer table to their inventory and fill unused spaces with 0s, then just shift the shop ID to index that data table.

Oh, right--but back while making sure all 16 classes were supported, I realized I had to do the class equip permissions from scratch! I made an oopsie that meant the Menu bank was overflowing, and before I caught my mistake, I moved all the menu text out to Bank A, where other non-dialogue text is stored. I plan to keep it there, so that the menu can be expanded further for job changes, and to make room for the code needed to make the characters cheer when they can learn a spell in the shops. Meanwhile, until I get the menu text loading properly, the menu causes a game crash.

Once I can work on shifting the maps for the minimap display to look good, I also plan on changing some ground tiles near important exits. NPCs can't walk on tiles that close doors, so they will never block a shop door now--the idea is to use those same tiles to make sure they never block the path to exiting the map, such as the 3 cobblestone tiles by the entrance in Coneria, where that one lady always wanders...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:40 pm »
Sounds like you've been busy. Cool stuff.
I'll keep on testing as much as possible.
I want to try to help with the python stuff if I can squeeze in some time for it.
All in due time I guess.

Jiggers

• View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Page
« Reply #619 on: July 09, 2020, 03:47:55 am »
I re-did some of the fade-in/fade-out code. There are now 3 versions: sprite, BG, or both. This freed up a tiny bit of space in Bank C, at the cost of the fade-in being a touch slower--it uses the routine made for fading the party sprites out in the inns. I set it up so the BG fades in first, then the players; let me know if this feels too slow?

The main purpose was to be able to use this for switching screens. The instant switch from map to menu is sometimes a little jarring, but I don't want to bring back that long, flashy effect. A fade out, fade in sounded good. I haven't yet set it up for screen transitions yet.

And today I started converting another song of mine into the game's sound engine... I think I need to make another change to the control codes used for the score. Instead of each instrument being $E0 through $EF, it will just be $E0 followed by another number. That may allow for more than 16 instruments--er, volume envelopes!

Then with the other 15 control codes, I can make some more loops. Nested loops! Only need 3 bits for those, to max out at 8 iterations of something. Going to need control codes for the vibrato effect I want, too... if I can figure out how to do that without using up the free RAM space...

Yeah, it feels like I'm avoiding that list I made, doesn't it?  :-\