News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FF1 MMC5 Disassembly Updates  (Read 8167 times)

Jiggers

• View Profile
Re: FF1 MMC5 Disassembly Updates
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 10:49:36 pm »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U0Ohq7_6GKZ6NQQOY_prcDbVtLMJ6dlJ

Version 0.30

Visibly, not much new...

Battle stats are now integrated into general Character stats. Things like Elemental resistance and weakness, weapon sprite, palette, element, and category; number of hits, plus the multiplyer, and critical hit rate. The routine that adjusts stats based on what's equipped now fills in those stats as well, outside of battle. (This also means, for now, the whole 8 weapons and 8 armours per character thing is shafted. But that won't matter once I start the inventory stuff.)

During battle preperations, any stats that could be changed by a spell is backed up, and then restored after battle (but before level up stats are tweaked). In battle, character stats are edited directly, by both spells and attacks, so only one or two pointers are needed at a time, instead of the... like 8 or so there were before. No more IB/OB stat nonsense; if I find any more, I'll keep updating.

All the btl_defender, btl_attacker, and btlmag_xxx variables have been shifted up into the $6000 area of RAM, as part of my ongoing attempt to organize what's used and what's not.

As usual... probably some bugs. Just finished this, haven't tested it much. Actually just noticed I messed up some of the weapon stats with the Unadjust/readjust routines, and think I fixed them...

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2019, 01:59:10 am »
Groovy. I'll give it a whirl and let you know if I find anything wierd.

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 10:04:28 pm »
Guh, sorry. Fixed bank was too full, had to move some stuff to Bank C (luckily made room by doing those edits.) So now the game will actually compile... File in last post updated!

Edit: Found some bugs. Not sure what the issue is or how to describe it. But Garland always messes up things. I'll poke at it some more in the next few days. So bad at testing this stuff.

Bug was in the explosions drawing for 2 Big Enemies and 6 Small Enemies, which the Garland battle uses, I guess! I just made it use DrawExplosions_PreserveX and then cut out some stuff that didn't look like it was needed anymore, so the routine looked more like the other ones. Okay. So, far as I can tell now, all the battle stuff works! Woo!

NOW WHERE THE HELL HAS THE KING GONE???

What could I have possibly edited to make his sprite entirely vanish?! I can walk on the throne now!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:17:38 am by Jiggers »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 07:47:44 am »
o_O That is odd.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 11:01:39 am »
Thinking about it, we could have a FF HD pack version using Mesen.

But now that I consider it. Final Fantasy III would profit the most by using HD scaled graphics.

Jiggers

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2019, 04:38:12 pm »
HD pack would be awesome. And how I wish someone like Disch had done a diassembly of FF3 to play with...

Version 0.30 zip file is updated with my fixes. Also poked a few more things, since at some point I broke some features. Overworld music was resetting when exiting the menu, now it doesn't. Moved the Readjust/Unadjust equip stats routines to Bank E, so there's more space in Bank F again, and did some more RAM arrangement. There's a slight timing error warning but I doubt its anything too serious.

Still no King.  :'(

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 06:08:50 pm »
yeah. Ever since the first few HD packs started coming out I've had those possibilities in the back of my mind. A nice hack of FF1, 2, & 3 with graphics like the Anniversary Editions would be pretty slick.

*Daydreaming*
FF1 with updated item and equipment system, MP instead of Vancian casting, and an expanded jobs system with unique commands for each class.
*Drooling now*

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2019, 07:35:31 pm »
And how I wish someone like Disch had done a diassembly of FF3 to play with...

Hah.  Honestly the only reason I bothered with FF1 was because of my familiarity with the game.  I only played FF3 for 20 minutes and didn't get very far.

But, of course... there's nothing stopping YOU from doing an FF3 disassembly  ;)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2019, 09:25:04 pm »
I'm one of I'm sure quite a number of people who played FF3 to the final dungeon and stopped at its unforgiving length.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2019, 01:11:27 am »
I never got off the floating continent. It and FF5 are the only two I've never beaten.