News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Just got a my first PSP, recommended games?  (Read 2934 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Just got a my first PSP, recommended games?
« on: December 29, 2018, 04:57:49 pm »
My buddy gave me his old PSP, it's a bit scuffed, power port a bit lose, but otherwise in good shape.

Aside from Final Fantasy Tactics:WotL, which I plan to get asap are there any games that come highly recommended for the system?
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (Vynyl) || https://youtu.be/RzZyyEZ011I

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: Just got a my first PSP, recommended games?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 06:06:45 pm »
FF1, FF2, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, FF7 Crisis Core, the English translation of Super Robot Wars A, Dissidia Final Fantasy 012, Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2, Star Ocean 1 and 2, the English translation of SD Gundam G Generation Overworld.

There are others but this should get you started.

WerewolfX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 06:33:34 pm »
Phantasy star Portable

torridgristle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 06:35:50 pm »
Dead Head Fred
Play as a zombie what swaps heads to take on different abilities to solve problems, most of them being combat.

Armored Core 3 / Last Raven / Silent Line
High-action mech battling and customizing. I had hours and hours and hours of fun.

Rengoku 2
Action RPG where you collect body parts to swap with your own for new abilities. Reminds me of a mix of Dark Souls and a mech game.

Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny
It's pretty much Soulcalibur 4 as far as I remember it. Fighting game with weapons and character creation.

Wipeout Pulse
High-speed futuristic racing game with individual left and right brakes for tight turns and weapons.

The 3rd Birthday
Pretend it has nothing to do with Parasite Eve and just take it as an action RPG with guns and some cover mechanics. Handles a lot better than other shooters like Coded Arms in my opinion.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 06:36:21 pm »
There are a lot of cool looking games on the system, but I haven't played most of them. The exception is Queen's Blade Spiral Chaos which I loved. It's in Japanese, but you can check out some videos I made years ago explaining the menus and how to play. It's a tactical RPG like Super Robot Wars, but with the ladies of Queen's Blade.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8174C10E8CDDA779

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 07:21:14 pm »
Handles a lot better than other shooters like Coded Arms in my opinion.
I loved Coded Arms! The controls really are unfit for a PSP, but I made it work well enough to still enjoy playing the game.

BTW, WipEout Pulse(and Pure) have HD remakes on both PS3 and PS4.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:43:52 pm »
Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles. Features updated versions of Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night.

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X. A fun SNES remake, with bonus anime movie.

The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky. Long story-driven saga. While better on PC (and the 3rd chapter is PC-only in English), portability may make it more digestible.

Burnout Legends. Acclaimed smash and bump brand of car racing.

Ys The Oath in Felghana. Turns the mediocre Wanderers from Ys, into one of the best games in the series!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 08:29:23 pm »
Patapon and Loco Roco, perhaps? I dimly recall reading that Patapon 2 is the best.

Maybe Mega Man Powered Up?

The Warriors is supposedly slightly better on the PSP than on PS2, since it has a neat side-scrolling mode available from the start.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 08:59:44 pm »
Nice suggestions, it looks like the PSP is swimming in good games, I honestly forgot that Persona and Star Ocean had remakes on the console too, those strategy games also look great for some early morning gaming sessions.

I also just got cfw setup and FFT installed, I'm in love with the soundtrack already.

Sleepy's tune of the week|| Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (Vynyl) || https://youtu.be/RzZyyEZ011I

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 02:52:31 am »
Oh! Power Stone Collection.  It's probably not as good as you remember it from twenty years ago, though.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 08:06:53 am »
Well I've never had the chance to play Power Stone, so no bias here, I'll be sure to check those out too. :thumbsup:

Just wondering, but am I going to need to be caught up on the story of Super Robot Wars to get into SRW: A?
I think the only one I've played was SRW3 back in 2008-ish.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:24:33 am by SleepyFist »

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 04:39:50 pm »
Nope. Just be aware it IS one of the harder titles in the series.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 05:29:21 pm »
Thanks, I kinda maxed out my memory so I'll probably get to it after Persona or FFT, I tested it out on my friends PSP and it looks pretty good.

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 01:28:52 pm »
I'm gonna second Patapon—all of them. They're a really cool cross between strategy games and rhythm games.

Also, you should check out Parodius Portable, especially if you like shmups. It's a collection of Konami's Parodius games which all have Gradius gameplay b/w super colorful and silly visuals, remixed classical music, and options to play as a variety of Konami characters.

Also, you should definitely look into hacking that PSP if you haven't already. It's super easy to do and opens up all sorts of potential with emulators, game storage, etc. Hack it and get a 128 GB memory card.
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 10:12:42 pm »
I forgot about Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?  An exceptionally difficult platformer, I hear.

And there's Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, if you're into that kind of thing.  There's a Japanese-only "revised" version that is apparently somewhat superior.
https://hg101.kontek.net/gng/gng3.htm 

And Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! / What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord (and its sequel) sound kind of nifty.
https://hg101.kontek.net/namaikida/namaikida.htm

It's a little surprising there haven't been ports of those yet.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 02:24:12 am »
Other PSP games you should definitely check out are:

Ape Escape: On the Loose
Bomberman
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
Crush
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Daxter
Death Jr.
Death Jr. II: Root of Evil
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Gunpey
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Little Big Planet
Lumines
Lumines II
Medievil Resurrection
Metal Slug XX
Namco Museum Vol. 1 (Import)
Namco Museum Vol. 2 (Import)
Resistance: Retribution
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer 2 (Import)
Secret Agent Clank
Silent Hill Origins
Space Invaders Extreme
Space Invaders Pocket (Import)
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Sunday VS Magazine Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen (Import)
Tokobot
Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:45:28 am by SCD »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 09:15:59 am »
At least some of those got ports, though I think Lumines is the only one on Steam.

Do the Capcom and Namco collections have anything that is absent from versions on other platforms?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 12:11:58 pm »
Getting Pro-C on there was the first thing I did, it was surprisingly easy, especially compared to the gauntlet you need to run to get PS3 cf3 running, I would even go so far as too say it was even easier than setting up Wii Homebrew.

As for the memory stick he gave me, it's only about 2GB, I need to get that upgraded soon, because it's not cutting it.

I always thought Patapon and Badman looked fun, how is the Death Jr series? I wanted to play that back in the day too.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 08:25:20 pm »
There's Sting's RPGs as well, come to think of it: Riviera and Yggdra Union.  Not PSP exclusives, but perhaps a better way to go than the GBA versions.  But it seems Knights in the Nightmare may be better on the DS.
https://hg101.kontek.net/sting/sting4.htm
https://hg101.kontek.net/sting/sting5.htm
https://hg101.kontek.net/sting/sting6.htm

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 09:55:52 pm »
If you are going the CFW route, then I'd definitely recommend the POPS Loader, since the PSP has built-in software for playing PSX games. In particular, I'd recommend Tales of Phantasia's fan translation by Phantasian Productions.