News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mario's Picross X Hack Released  (Read 2106 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Mario's Picross X Hack Released
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:51:45 am »

Update By: Ross Adkin (TidusRenegade

Prepare for a new Picross challenge, which plays homage to gaming history...

Mario’s Picross X is a full hack of Mario’s Picross, with 256 new puzzles to solve.

All of the puzzle solutions in Mario’s Picross X are based on retro gaming sprites and images, containing characters such as Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Link and Jet Set Willy.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Mario's Picross X Hack Released
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:54:31 am »
That's what I call a revamped classic  :)

Thanks a lot to everybody involved on this project :thumbsup:

TidusRenegade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 01:09:55 pm »
Hope everyone enjoys it  :)

I should have added that I was really limited on what I could do with puzzles 1A - 1H on Easy due to the small grid sizes. So for anyone already familiar with Picross I would skip those.

nacho_chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 02:23:57 pm »
As a big Picross fan, this is right up my alley! I really appreciate your hard work :thumbsup:

That said, you absolutely need to check your puzzles to make sure they're possible without guessing. Just based off of the screenshots, 3/4 of the puzzles (Kirby, Link, and Birdo) seem to be impossible. For a puzzle game, this is a gameplay mechanic failure at the most basic level. Plopping pixel art into a grid isn't going to cut it most of the time.

Still, I wish you the best with this project, and if you ever do an update that fixes these issues I will be all over this.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 05:35:52 am »
I should have added that I was really limited on what I could do with puzzles 1A - 1H on Easy due to the small grid sizes. So for anyone already familiar with Picross I would skip those.

I'm a nonogram addict - completed both Mario's Picross 1 and 2, plus almost finished the SNES one I think, and dabbled with other games. I'm enjoying these ones but I have to say it's true that if you simply have to guess, that's a problem. One early review apparently didn't get beyond the Level 1 puzzles, which is stupid, but I can see why they didn't like them. In general, though, it's cool to see these game-related pictures - some obscure ones there. :) Nice job!