News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Changes in SNES Fighting Game  (Read 1248 times)

DQ312

• View Profile
Changes in SNES Fighting Game
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:01:01 pm »
Hi, guys!

Is there any way to modify elements of a particular game (Yu Yu Hakusho Final, from snes) through romhacking?
I would like to modify things like life bars and stun bar, decrease damage from strokes, etc.
Could someone please give me directions on how to do it (if possible)?
Thank you.

Cheers!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Changes in SNES Fighting Game
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:11:01 pm »
It's possible but altering game mechanics is a more difficult skill than text or graphics/palette hacking.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:50:06 pm »
Anything is possible: if you change enough bytes then you can change Street Fighter 2 into Super Mario World. :D

But seriously, KingMike is right: changing gameplay is usually tougher than changing graphics, and requires some assembly language knowledge. My rule with ROM hacking - as with many things in life - is that you should be interested in the journey, not the destination. In other words, if you hack ROMs because you want to hack ROMs, not because you want to do something specific to a specific game, then you're on the right track. :)

Then again, some of the things you mention there might not be so tricky. For example, decreasing damage from attacks might be straightforward: you find where your energy is stored in RAM, then when you get hit, you use a debugger to see what caused it to go down, and work your way from there. Assembly knowledge helps out there, of course.

DQ312

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:41:38 am »
Got it.

Thank you guys for responding.

So to begin with, I need to be knowledgeable about assembly.

I am very newbie, I have knowledge in programming languages ​​but nothing so deep  ;D.

Could you recommend tools and / or tutorials to start making such modifications?

Cheers!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!