News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to create a PS1 ISO after changing music  (Read 2007 times)

SmashMan4

• View Profile
How to create a PS1 ISO after changing music
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:07:48 am »
Long time lurker. First time poster.

Trying to do a quick music mod for a PS1 game. I applied the new songs and when I try to launch the game through ePSXe. It crashes. I've tries a bunch of iso creators and several programs on this site. (Such as ps1 iso maker) and they all won't run on a ps1 emulator. Any way I can fix this?

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
Re: How to create a PS1 ISO after changing music
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:55:52 am »
Is the music stored on tracks like an audio CD, or are they files?

SmashMan4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:47:38 am »
It's in 1 big xa file and when I extract and replace them, they're in .wav format.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 02:13:48 pm »
IIRC there are only a couple of ISO programs that support PS1 format. I used one years ago and it was a really dated and old looking, probably about the same age as the PS1 itself. I don't recall the name though.

SmashMan4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 06:29:10 pm »
IIRC there are only a couple of ISO programs that support PS1 format. I used one years ago and it was a really dated and old looking, probably about the same age as the PS1 itself. I don't recall the name though.

I've looked through countless forums and this site for tools, but none of them work. If you do end up remembering, please reply here.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 04:44:06 am »
Are the sizes of both the original and modified xa files the same? If not, that could be the problem.

peixemacaco

• 70 65 69 78 65 6d 61 63 61 63 6f
    • View Profile
    • Old peixemacaco site found
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 04:53:38 am »
It's in 1 big xa file and when I extract and replace them, they're in .wav format.

Did you reconvert the wav files to this single .xa?

Must be the same extension
Super Monaco GP... It garnered an at-the-time unprecedented 10–10–9–9 rating from Electronic Gaming Monthly's Review and wasn`t a F Indy title.

SmashMan4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 08:16:07 am »
Are the sizes of both the original and modified xa files the same? If not, that could be the problem.

They aren't but idk if thats the case. I tried rippng and reassembling with no changes and it still doesn't work.

Did you reconvert the wav files to this single .xa?

Must be the same extension

I did. I used a program to inject and replace the wav files.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 09:05:15 am »
[Acht! I hit Modify instead of Quote!]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:20:32 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SmashMan4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 06:57:20 pm »
Perhaps you could say what specific programs you have been using?

Also, what program were you using to make the .wav files?  .wav files can be saved with compression, and that would definitely mess things up.

Yea, I should've probably said which programs I used. I used, for creating the iso, Poweriso, CDRWin, ISO buster, MagicIso, and PSOneIsomaker from this site. I used Audacity for the wav files.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 10:21:01 pm »
They aren't but idk if thats the case. I tried rippng and reassembling with no changes and it still doesn't work.

I did. I used a program to inject and replace the wav files.

Is the new file smaller or larger than the original?

If smaller, you're in luck. You can use CDmage to insert it into the ISO, and it will fill in the empty space with zeroes.

If the new file is larger....you need to rebuild the ISO. And that is a complicated process altogether.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 10:18:46 am »
The topic of rebuilding PS1 games seems to come up a lot. Check this thread out, it has some good info and links to more recent tools: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26202.0

Another problem that you might be having is some games use the internal TOC (Table Of Contents) for file-lookup, while others may have a separate TOC embedded into one of the files on the disc (Mega Man X4 uses this method for example).

What game are you editing? That might make it easier for people to help you.

SmashMan4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 12:01:40 pm »
Is the new file smaller or larger than the original?

If smaller, you're in luck. You can use CDmage to insert it into the ISO, and it will fill in the empty space with zeroes.

If the new file is larger....you need to rebuild the ISO. And that is a complicated process altogether.

It's definitely smaller, since all the music mod is doing is making the wav files take less space.

The topic of rebuilding PS1 games seems to come up a lot. Check this thread out, it has some good info and links to more recent tools: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26202.0

Another problem that you might be having is some games use the internal TOC (Table Of Contents) for file-lookup, while others may have a separate TOC embedded into one of the files on the disc (Mega Man X4 uses this method for example).

What game are you editing? That might make it easier for people to help you.

The games I'm trying to do the music mod for is the Mega Man complete works games. Most of them take up a lot of unnecessary space (only 3mb consist the actual data, the rest are wav files), so I thought I would shrink the music and have them loop properly.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 11:20:57 pm »
Are you sure you're saving the .wav files in the same format that you're importing them, like 22 kHz 8-bit stereo or whatever?  Like I said, if you're saving with compression in Audacity, that would definitely make the files smaller – and definitely mess things up.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 11:57:29 pm »
Alright, I did some testing today (just with Mega Man 1), and this is the result (I replaced Cut Man's theme with the MMX3 opening stage arrangement): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPP60KfXS60

----------------------------------------

Some notes:
1) The game has anti-mod/copy protection (code is obfuscated and stored in DATA.PAC). Changing address $1164 from [$40] to [$00] will bypass the check (changes a branching opcode). Interestingly, this code seems to be packed into DATA.PAC twice, so while changing $1164 bypasses the start-up check, the other might be used for a check somewhere else. So, to be on the safe side, change $8694 from [$40] to [$00] as well. This is only relevant for certain mod-chips and emulators that don't automatically bypass the protection checks.

2) The game uses the internal TOC header so there's no issues when rebuilding the disc image with the files in a different order or size.

3) tools used: XtrActor.NET (extracting the XA audio and STR video), audacity (editing audio), XA audio converter (replacing the music track), and finally mkpsxiso (rebuilding the disc image).

----------------------------------------

Perhaps you could upload one of your WAV files? As others have said, that may be where your issue lies (or it may just be the tools you're using to replace the music track and/or insert the XA file back onto the disc are failing).