News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: The major update for Jaseiken Necromancer translation!  (Read 2480 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Griever_GF

Here is the major update for Jaseiken Necromancer partial translation. The main differences between initial release and version 0.2 are bugfix, more efficient using of ROM space, reworked translation and proper fitting of text in the interface (see readme for details).

Current patch made Jaseiken Necromancer beatable with no major bugs, except the ones that were present in the original Japanese version. Most probably you will need a walkthrough in the later part of the game, but this patch makes understanding easier anyway.

This update was done by Griever_GF, with the permission from previous contributors. Please enjoy this release!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

LJ40

• View Profile
Re: Translations: The major update for Jaseiken Necromancer translation!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 01:16:27 am »
I might be dumb and missing something but patch for download is still v0.01b

All good now. Carry on.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:00:27 am by LJ40 »

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:26:05 am »
All good now. Carry on.  :thumbsup:
Thanks! But I guess I've done as much as I can without spending too much time on this. We need someone who can do serious hacking with this project - text decrypting and VWF. I'm not a pro romhacker, just an ordinary programmer. Well, I guess I can dig into it more, but it will take too much time... I'm not really interested, because I already finished my walkthrough.
And we need to update the screenshots on project page! Moderators, please approve updated screenshots!

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 03:40:23 pm »
Interesting game. Didn't know it was the PC Engine's first RPG. Seems like the darker look and taller, plainer sprites was a bit of a trend in early PCE RPGs, with games like this, Susanoo Densetsu, and Dungeon Explorer all sharing a similar aesthetic. This seems to have been replaced with a standard, less impressive NES-RPG-with-better-colors look afterward (the Momotaro Densetsu games, Benkei Gaiden, Sindibad, even the first Tengai Makyou on CD). Funny that the enemies have idle animations, but no attack animations. It made the opposite choice as Phantasy Star had a year before. Still, they look pretty cool. I just don't like the slow walking speed.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:48:17 pm by noneother »

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 05:28:57 pm »
Seems like the darker look and taller, plainer sprites was a bit of a trend in early PCE RPGs, with games like this, Susanoo Densetsu, and Dungeon Explorer all sharing a similar aesthetic.
I'm agree, as much I saw TurboGrafx games at GameCenter CX - Ninja Spirit, Genpei Tōma Den and Shadow Land - they are pretty bleak and dark.

It made the opposite choice as Phantasy Star had a year before.
Actually, not a year, but one month - Dec 20, 1987 vs Jan 22, 1988. Well, in my opinion Phantasy Star is more technically impressive, despite that it was made for previous console generation. Even game size is twice bigger that Jaseiken Necromancer. Well, I guess TG16 is more capable to perform some compression, but still...

And we need to update the screenshots on project page! Moderators, please approve updated screenshots!
Btw, screenshots are already approved. I don't know why they look so pixelated, but I guess it's better than nothing...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 11:50:10 pm »
Good to know I'm not the only person who struggled to beat even just the first level of Shadow Land/Yokai Dochuuki on any platform (arcade, PCE, FC) and has never made it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 08:04:10 am »
Griever - Good point, I didn't realize the release dates were that close. I do agree Phantasy Star is more impressive overall (3d dungeons, character and NPC portraits, etc), especially if you factor in the FM version of the soundtrack, but Necromancer is also impressive when you consider this was released a month before Dragon Quest 3, and a month after the very first Final Fantasy. I like the monster designs.

The PCE also had The Legendary Axe 2, Splatterhouse, War of the Dead... definitely a well-represented aesthetic on that system.