News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Greatest FF/CT patches  (Read 489 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Greatest FF/CT patches
« on: December 16, 2018, 05:49:43 am »
Rather than go batty playing the same games repeatedly to see each minute bugfix for myself, pedantic differences between script (re-re) edits... which hacks are THE must play experiences?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest FF/CT patches
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 02:53:06 pm »
I'm still confused about whether Flames of Eternity is supposed to be preferable over Crimson Echoes.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:53:46 pm »
So just bugfixes, right?
-With FFI you should probably be looking at FF Restored.  Not a fan of the font?  Rodimus Primal made a patch that brings back the original FF font.
-II and III I don't think have anything outside of translation patches.
-FFIV is generally Project II or Namingway Edition, depending on how you like your text and stuff.
-FFV doesn't really have much, fan translation or script port?  The latter has other bugfixes in an optional patch.
-FFVI generally has Ted Woolsey Uncensored being the top recommendation for non-game changing stuff from what I have heard, and it already has most of the big stuff rolled in.  If you don't want the text altered, check out these two posts for SNES and GBA patches that have every single little bugfix (over 180 for SNES) rolled in: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25372.msg365789#msg365789

-Chrono Trigger: I don't mean to brag, but I think Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch is what you're looking for?  If you're not keen on text altering, there's a patch for the racing minigame.  That is the one gameplay bug you're going to notice in CT.

I'm still confused about whether Flames of Eternity is supposed to be preferable over Crimson Echoes.
Flames of Eternity is billed as a continuation, but one that is generally viewed in a bad light because: a) they rubbed out any mention of any of the old staff, b) they use it to sell stuff, and c) they threw in a lot of stuff that was never intended, with about the results that you'd expect.

Think the opposite of Pokemon Prism here, where that team just wanted to fix bugs and complete what was intended while still giving credit where it was due.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:54:00 pm by Chronosplit »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 10:56:43 pm »
Somewhat closer to the Japanese text is good. I'm not attached to Square's old translations.

Pokemon, hm? I'd love to see a more thorough RBY script de-localization if not done before. But it might be tricky. Some Pokemon have names whose original meaning and pronunciation alike already approximate well to English (Mewtwo), others sound weird. Articuno's Japanese name translated too literally would no doubt be the target of jokes about DBZ's Frieza. :P

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 12:07:04 pm »
-II and III I don't think have anything outside of translation patches.

Well, I don't know about II, but III has Maeson Mix, which rebalances the game and fixes the "defenseless" thing when running away. I use it alongside Chaos Rush's retranslation.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 03:21:11 pm »
Not very familiar with II or III either.