News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to free some ROM in FF1  (Read 892 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
How to free some ROM in FF1
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:04 am »
Hello everyone,
A long romhacking idea I had was to hack FF1 (and possibly also FF2 and FF3) so that it/they uses compressed graphics (probably using Huffman compression) in order to free up lots of ROM space that could be used by further hacks or translations. It's more a proof-of-concept than an interesting hack by itself.

However in order to do this I need to store the decompressing routine somewhere, and guess what ? There's almost no free space in FF1 US ROM. I'm fairly sure however that there was this big ugly pseudo-random-number generator eating lots of ROM, and that someone had already replaced it by something very efficient. This could create some free space in the ROM so that I can insert some decompression code.

I'm almost certain this was already made, but I cannot find the hack here, probably it was just part of a bigger hack ? Where can I find this hack that replaces the PRNG with something more space-efficient, and free lots of ROM in the fixed bank ?

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
Re: How to free some ROM in FF1
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:47:24 pm »

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 02:30:33 pm »
Having scattered free space like that, though, is far less helpful than it would seem to be. A decompression routine is likely to be a sizable routine itself, so you need a lot of continuous free space. It is possible with FF1, but you need a optimize a lot of code to create that space. Patches of bytes only go so far.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 09:56:02 pm »
I just want to see someone create new title screens for FF2 an FF3. FF2 had a title screen redone for it and it was nice and all but FF3 never got one and the only time you get to see the title is if you start the game over and see it during the prologue after the first battle with the Land Turtle. I'd like to see a real title screen some day. One for FF2 and FF3 that you can patch on top of any project.
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 11:24:39 am »
the only time you get to see the title is if you start the game over and see it during the prologue after the first battle with the Land Turtle.
Exactly what FF1 did. The difference is that FF1 has been hacked enough that someone found a way around it.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018