News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Emulator for SNES hacking?  (Read 243 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Emulator for SNES hacking?
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:44:56 am »
I've tried two:
- snes9x 1.51 Geiger build: the first thing I tried to do when testing it was to use the rom hex editor. It simply closed on me.
- bsnes plus v04: it has many great features! It's an amazing emulator, but I can't see how to save the changes made to the ROM on the hex editor. This is a major pain. I ended up having to rewrite every little change that I did on an external hex editor, and that's very confusing to keep track of what was changed and what wasn't. When hacking I need to experiment a lot to reverse engineer the rom, and when it works I'd like to save the current state. I may not remember everything that I changed. I also would like to clear the activity highlighting on the hex editor, it won't clear unless I close the rom and reopen it.

How do you guys do snes hacking?

eskayelle

• View Profile
Re: Emulator for SNES hacking?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:08:26 pm »
I typically use the Geiger build, but just as a debugger.  I use XVI32 or HxD as my hex editors, but if I'm on the go, I'll use a basic hex editor for Android. 

Not to any degree near what I've read on some of the forums, I tend to make builds.  So, I may do some hex editing, or perhaps some tile changes via TileMolester, or change some palettes via SNESPal, but I'll use Lunar IPS to make patches.  Then, I'll make a .bat file and have it run either xkas (for ASM) or flips (for .ips patches) against a copy of the original ROM.  That way, where one patch in the build fails or can be improved, I can just strip it out without really impacting the rest of my changes.

Admittedly, I've gone a little crazy with the patches and ASM files for my last (and next) hack, but it has been helpful in keeping track of what I'm doing.