News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy V Advance - Fixing Bartz's Blue Mage attacking sprite  (Read 983 times)

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, I hope you're doing well.

I wanted to fix Bartz's right-handed Blue Mage attack sprite in FFV Advance for GBA. The sprite sheet is compressed, so I was using GBAGE (Game Boy Advance Graphics Editor) to decompress them. However, if I proceed to edit the exported bitmap, save it, and import it into the game, I'm told the file is too large and Bartz's Red Mage sprite sheet gets corrupted, causing the game to lock up at startup.

I decided to test whether or not it was a problem of my editing the sprites, but frustratingly, even trying to import a completely unedited sprite sheet leads to the same issue.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or how to fix this? I'd really like to release this patch publicly...

Thanks for your time.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

tvtoon

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy V Advance - Fixing Bartz's Blue Mage attacking sprite
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 01:18:57 pm »
I guess you are another victim of the size data before actual image data, but if the space is really tight you can insert the image file (even uncompressed) at the end of the ROM, as the games got lots of free space. ;)