News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database  (Read 1027 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:38:47 am »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Translations have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

French
Indonesian
Russian
Spanish

Relevant Link

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 08:54:46 am »
Amen - I can finally play one of my favourite games ever (Live a Live) in my native language and maybe understand the scenario better ! I've been waiting for this for decades, now I'll have to do a 4th playthrough :)

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:53:51 am »
Evidently, someone made a translation of "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" for the NES. I consider hacking that game a complete waste of time. It's just another one of those horrible licensed titles that little time, effort, or thought was put into. That game and the original "Home Alone" for the NES make the NES games "Mario Is Missing!" and "Mario's Time Machine" look like Super Mario Bros. 3 in comparison!

No offense or disrespect intended, it's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:06:37 am by RetroGameFan »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 03:50:34 pm »
I just found out that google has trouble pronouncing "live a live". It seems to say "living a live" https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=en&text=live%20a%20live

edit: I think it's saying "live and a live"
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:56:22 pm by nesrocks »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 12:46:05 pm »
Evidently, someone made a translation of "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" for the NES. I consider hacking that game a complete waste of time. It's just another one of those horrible licensed titles that little time, effort, or thought was put into. That game and the original "Home Alone" for the NES make the NES games "Mario Is Missing!" and "Mario's Time Machine" look like Super Mario Bros. 3 in comparison!

Wave is on a mission to translate the history of gaming into his native Spanish, and that is a commendable goal.  :thumbsup:
(so, this one isn't Wave's but that's still true)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 03:37:38 pm »
Wave is on a mission to translate the history of gaming into his native Spanish, and that is a commendable goal.  :thumbsup:

My assumption was that they were reposting patches from some Spanish language site I was unaware of. If they are translating them all themselves, I am even more impressed. Based on the number of English language patches hosted here, I figure they should be caught up translating them all to Spanish relatively soon.

Jonny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 04:44:54 pm »
My assumption was that they were reposting patches from some Spanish language site I was unaware of. If they are translating them all themselves, I am even more impressed. Based on the number of English language patches hosted here, I figure they should be caught up translating them all to Spanish relatively soon.

I'm pretty sure Wave is now just 1 person, but used to be a group as I understand. Translating that number of games to Spanish is impressive whatever the case.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:09:04 am »
I've been mulling over this reply since I first saw it yesterday, but I stand by what I said earlier because while the history of video gaming is interesting, especially in its formative years, there are some video games (even old ones) that should just not exist. And Home Alone and Home Alone 2 are among them. I know this is all only my opinion, but I think it's a good one. ;)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:33:18 am »
Yeah there are the retro games that are overrated, the ones that are the overlooked, and there are the ones that get as much attention as they deserve. I think we should focus on the overlooked.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:05:21 pm »
Yeah there are the retro games that are overrated, the ones that are the overlooked, and there are the ones that get as much attention as they deserve. I think we should focus on the overlooked.
The point is that unfortunately there are some titles, even those for the NES, that are of very poor quality. Yes, there are a lot of good-to-great games that are overlooked, but Home Alone and Home Alone 2 aren't among them, since they are widely considered to be in the poor quality category.

A couple of examples of good-to-great games that are often overlooked are Armadillo (NES) and The Mysterious Murasame Castle (FDS). There certainly are numerous others that I can't name off the top of my head.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 11:13:23 pm »

The problem is that a game you think is a waste of time or "shouldn't exist" may well be a game I enjoy a great deal. Why should you (or anyone) decide for me what games I get to play, or what games I should spend my time with (whether as a player, translator, or whatever)?

This isn't hypothetical for me, BTW --  there are a ton of games I've enjoyed that have been branded as horrible, "the worst ever", etc. by various people. Maybe they'd make those games disappear from existence if they could; fortunately they don't have that power. Meanwhile there are plenty of supposedly "classic", "must-play" games that bore the crap out of me.

While you have a right to your opinion, voicing that opinion is a different matter when it's not constructive at all. No one needs guidance on what they "shouldn't" be working on, or to be told the work they did is a "waste of time". How is that helpful in any way?

It's much better to take that energy and work on a game you want to translate. Maybe it'll be a game I hate and think is trash, but I promise I won't tell you that you've wasted your time. :) Because what fan translators do is to make it possible for people who don't speak the language to make up their own minds about a game, and that's always a worthwhile thing.

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 12:04:58 am »
I agree. There have been quite a few "kusoge" that I actually found quite enjoyable, one being Hydlide on NES for example.

wave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 07:03:12 am »
More or less that's it xD At least for the 8-16 bit classic consoles.
On that time, 99% of games where only in english, and at least in spain we don't have a good level and even less when we were 5-15 year olds.
There are bad games, but they're even worse if you don't understand them xD

I'm pretty sure Wave is now just 1 person, but used to be a group as I understand. Translating that number of games to Spanish is impressive whatever the case.
No, no, they're all new and mine (never been a group), there are thousands of games untranslated, I don't think I can do all of them xD
Fortunately, there is a "new wave (;))" of spanish translators, Jackic, Semco, Max1323..., which I have contact with, and they are doing great efforts to bring even more games out (and bigger ones!)

The problem is that a game you think is a waste of time or "shouldn't exist" may well be a game I enjoy a great deal. Why should you (or anyone) decide for me what games I get to play, or what games I should spend my time with (whether as a player, translator, or whatever)?

This isn't hypothetical for me, BTW --  there are a ton of games I've enjoyed that have been branded as horrible, "the worst ever", etc. by various people. Maybe they'd make those games disappear from existence if they could; fortunately they don't have that power. Meanwhile there are plenty of supposedly "classic", "must-play" games that bore the crap out of me.

While you have a right to your opinion, voicing that opinion is a different matter when it's not constructive at all. No one needs guidance on what they "shouldn't" be working on, or to be told the work they did is a "waste of time". How is that helpful in any way?

It's much better to take that energy and work on a game you want to translate. Maybe it'll be a game I hate and think is trash, but I promise I won't tell you that you've wasted your time. :) Because what fan translators do is to make it possible for people who don't speak the language to make up their own minds about a game, and that's always a worthwhile thing.
I agree with that, I translate the games because the translating process is fun and I want to complete as many as I can, most of the time playing them is the worst part, but I test the games by myself (with cheats!).
Maybe a "crappy game" I translate brings back memories for people that had them and they can relive that and the game will be even better for them.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 01:19:16 pm »
Well, Home Alone for the NES does at least have the historical significance of being (I believe) Bethesda's first game. Certainly the first game of a popular developer counts for something. (did they also make the Where's Waldo NES game which is another famous kusoge?)
(not so for HA2, which I think was developed by Imagineering, who made plenty of license garbage for THQ and Acclaim.)

Though I'm aware some companies probably would find their first works rather unflatering (did Enix and Koei start out as eroge? And then there were some like Konami who I think started on blatant Space Invader ripoffs. I think even Nintendo probably doesn't want to talk about its comparatively unoriginal pre-DK works. :D )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

#

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 04:12:47 pm »
Well, Home Alone for the NES does at least have the historical significance of being (I believe) Bethesda's first game. Certainly the first game of a popular developer counts for something.
If its as bad as HA it might be worth hacking just to remove any evidence of who the developer is from the ROM.

Jonny

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 01:51:38 pm »
No, no, they're all new and mine (never been a group), there are thousands of games untranslated, I don't think I can do all of them xD
Fortunately, there is a "new wave (;))" of spanish translators, Jackic, Semco, Max1323..., which I have contact with, and they are doing great efforts to bring even more games out (and bigger ones!)
I agree with that, I translate the games because the translating process is fun and I want to complete as many as I can, most of the time playing them is the worst part, but I test the games by myself (with cheats!).
Maybe a "crappy game" I translate brings back memories for people that had them and they can relive that and the game will be even better for them.

"I don't think I can do all of them"... but I think you will try haha

You are right, the new wave of Spanish translators do a great job, and I have even helped out Spanish translators sometimes to do font hacks, etc to up their quality.  Some of the recent Spanish translations are impressive.