News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana: Relocalized  (Read 32707 times)

AlternativeZeroSubs

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana: VWF Edition - Relocalized
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 02:09:28 am »
Apologies but the link isn't working for me.

EDIT: Link is working again, no idea what the problem is, thanks for your hard work.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:00:43 am by AlternativeZeroSubs »

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 01:04:36 am »
Apologies but the link isn't working for me.

EDIT: Link is working again, no idea what the problem is, thanks for your hard work.

Sorry. I had to take the link down kind of abruptly the other night. I though I'd put it back up in the next day, but I messed up my url tags. It should be fixed now.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 06:01:28 pm »
So, instead of releasing a v0.3 I submitted a proper hack to the site. Hopefully, it gets approved. However, today, I just learned a new trick.

So, modifying the title image is extremely hard and the one guy I know who has actually done it successfully doesn't remember how he did it. For now, this is kind of the best I can do. The 4th one is photoshopped but I should in theory actually be able to create this.

I would really appreciate some feedback. What does everyone think?

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 06:16:33 pm »
"Relocalized" describes the project in terms of the work being done, but localizing the original title itself would probably best represent the underlying content while discarding the need for any such subtitle.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 06:19:49 pm »
"Relocalized" describes the project in terms of the work being done, but localizing the original title itself would probably best represent the underlying content while discarding the need for any such subtitle.

So, you're saying it's too meta? So, you think I should drop "Relocalized" from the title and just go with "Seiken Densetsu II: Secret of Mana"? It seems kind of pompous to call my little addendum hack that. It's like one step down from calling "Secret of Mana: The Definitive Edition".

Anyhoo... here's what the actual "Smooshed M" version of the title screen looks like.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:49:31 pm by Timbo »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 05:43:41 am »
The relocalized subtitle seems fine to me.
Don't know how I feel about using the actual Japanese title in a re-localization.
Seems to me that ideally it should have "Legend of the Holy Sword" as the main title and "Secret of mana: Relocalized" as the subtitle. Probably not enough room for that though.

VioletFox

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 07:25:20 am »
What about having the title be "Secret of Mana 2" so you can fix the incorrect numbering of the series.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 07:29:11 am »
This is tougher to look right than I'd expected. The remake awkwardly tacked Secret of Mana, in English at that, onto the Japanese title.

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 11:31:13 am »
I have an idea that few people will going to be in agreement with me

Why don't try to restore the original picture of the title screen?
the problem is that when SoM was localized in america the picture of the title screen was unecessary zoomed and blurred

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 12:33:11 pm »
I recall part of the original Japanese image (under the logo) was actually missing/blurred as it was.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 12:36:37 pm »
I have an idea that few people will going to be in agreement with me

Why don't try to restore the original picture of the title screen?
the problem is that when SoM was localized in america the picture of the title screen was unecessary zoomed and blurred

Believe me if I could I would. The blur isn't an issue anymore. We know how to extract and decompress the original image but no one has figured out how to recompress it and put it back.

Here's the latest look at my current title screen:

I'm actually considering moving the Subtitle down to the bottom and moving all of the legalease to the first screen.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:44:51 pm by Timbo »

TheHarunate

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 12:56:52 am »
Yes, finally!
I've been waiting for a classic SoM hack that restores all those heavily-censored names - because I couldn't stand those censored names - even on the 3D remake which only enjoyed script overhaul but barely any uncensoring. I once tried using Mop's old editor to try and uncensor all those names, but couldn't go far enough. Glad to see someone finally working on that - complete with VWF. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Speaking of the confusion between Cobra Shuttle and Baghnakh, I think I'd keep the name "Cobra Shuttle" since the weapon inflicts poison, which makes more sense than Baghnakh. Also, "GP" should be retired completely as they've established "Lucre" as the official in-game currency of the Mana series since the beginning IIRC. Yes, even the Japanese version called it "Lucre" - though we never really heard of "Lucre" until Legend of Mana. And, oh, keep "Frizbar" on. That sounds way more original than Battle Frisbee.

BTW, I've compiled a spreadsheet of roughly every names from the game - except character names.
Check it out if you're interested

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 11:29:03 am »
I've been wanting to play this since I have a little free time right now with work, but I've seen that a new version has been stuck in Queue for several days now... Would you be willing to upload the files to another host, the Queue BS on this site can be such as nuisance.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 01:45:13 pm »
Yes, finally!
I've been waiting for a classic SoM hack that restores all those heavily-censored names - because I couldn't stand those censored names - even on the 3D remake which only enjoyed script overhaul but barely any uncensoring. I once tried using Mop's old editor to try and uncensor all those names, but couldn't go far enough. Glad to see someone finally working on that - complete with VWF. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Speaking of the confusion between Cobra Shuttle and Baghnakh, I think I'd keep the name "Cobra Shuttle" since the weapon inflicts poison, which makes more sense than Baghnakh. Also, "GP" should be retired completely as they've established "Lucre" as the official in-game currency of the Mana series since the beginning IIRC. Yes, even the Japanese version called it "Lucre" - though we never really heard of "Lucre" until Legend of Mana. And, oh, keep "Frizbar" on. That sounds way more original than Battle Frisbee.

BTW, I've compiled a spreadsheet of roughly every names from the game - except character names.
Check it out if you're interested

I actually just created a version that restores "Cobra Shuttle". Not because of it's poison quality but because I forgot that it's combat graphic is an actual boomerang. I basically, just threw my hands up in the air and surrendered to the nonsense. I also dropped the "Hira" from the "Shuriken".

I looked over your document, most of your names are fairly unrelated to the source material. This website has almost everything: https://inari.aerdan.org//translations/secretofmana.html. It actually got me started on this whole project. Your spreadsheet totally reminded me that Square has been using "Moonring Blade" instead of Full Moon Ring for a while so that's definitely a change I'm willing to make, especially because it was the last 3-word item holdouts. "Frizbar" is gone and never coming back. It really goes against the spirit of the new localization.

I would loooove to implement "Lucre". "GP" just feels like such an old school holdout. However, there isn't space for it. If you look at the Status Screen or any of the shops, you'll see that there is no room for more than two characters. I have considered switching out "GP" for "LP" or "Lu" in shops, windows, and menus and referring to it as Lucre in dialogue.

I've been wanting to play this since I have a little free time right now with work, but I've seen that a new version has been stuck in Queue for several days now... Would you be willing to upload the files to another host, the Queue BS on this site can be such as nuisance.

Your wish has been granted. Check the original post for a link.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:55:15 pm by Timbo »

Special

• View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana: Relocalized
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 04:02:54 pm »
^^ Thanks a ton!

ShockwaveS08

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 08:18:36 pm »
Been playing SOM:R on my first run; very nice work! I did notice a bug regarding GP, where if you went over a certain triple-digit amount (450-500, I think), the GP would erroneously display a double-digit amount until you bought an item from a merchant. This applies to both the Shop menu and the Status screen.

Speaking of the Status screen, any chance of working in a cleaner, more-readable font than the default one? I'm seeing pixels shaved off of certain letters and numbers, leaving me confused for a moment as I tried to read this incredibly-small text.

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 08:45:15 pm »
Do you think you can remake the Japanese SoM intro with the English heading? I did a quick Photoshop of the intro and filled in the blurred part (someone might be able to make it better). Feel free to use it.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 09:38:42 pm »
Do you think you can remake the Japanese SoM intro with the English heading? I did a quick Photoshop of the intro and filled in the blurred part (someone might be able to make it better). Feel free to use it.

This and reinstating the Death Machine are the two big things on my wishlist.

If I knew how to, I absolutely would have done it already. It seems that no one actually knows how to properly compress and reinsert the damned thing though.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 02:28:20 pm »
"Lu" in shops, windows, and menus and referring to it as Lucre in dialogue.

I support this 1000%

vivify93

• Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 04:39:03 pm »
Hey Timbo, have you thought about evening out the M of Mana in your custom logo, so it looks less... edited?

I was thinking something like this.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.