News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Project RE-Quest, An NES Classic Gets a Modern Makeover!  (Read 958 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Choppasmith

It's been almost 30 years since the original Dragon Warrior was released for the NES in North America. But, what if Dragon Warrior never existed and the game was localized as Dragon Quest in English like it is now from the start? By porting the script from Square-Enix’s official mobile release, that dream is now reality. With rom expansion, the script is now double in size. All the monster, spell, and item names are updated to modern localization standards. There’s even a new logo done with the authentic font. Whether you've played Dragon Quest Builders or you're used to modern Dragon Quest releases, you'll feel right at home here now.

The screens below showcase what a difference the dialog makes. Left is the original, and on the right is the new script! For more comparisons and the latest updates, click the Relevant Link.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Josephine Lithius

• Lv. 34 Thing of Mystery™
    • View Profile
    • JosephineLithius @ Tumblr
Re: ROM Hacks: Project RE-Quest, An NES Classic Gets a Modern Makeover!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:04:27 am »
Well, poop.  I just finished playing the original version of this game not too long ago.  It was a… trying experience, but not due to the translation.  Actually, the game did a darn good job of telling you where to go.  But, my point is that… if I'd put it off for a month, I could've played this super-spiffy, revised version, instead!  That would've been a treat!

Ah, well…  The next time the mood takes me, I'll open this awesome hack and give it a whirl.  Or, perhaps, the (eventually-)upcoming Super Famicom version!
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephinelithius.tumblr.com )=-

NeonStreetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 02:07:56 am »
Excited to try this! Hope to see the sequels receive the same treatment soon. I can’t believe it took almost 30 years for someone to do this. Let’s hope this serves as a catalyst in the community.

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 06:08:09 pm »
I'm gonna have to try this out, it looks official. :cookie:
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...