News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Let's Kill Iggy! (SMB1 Hack)  (Read 1806 times)

HPJ

• reeeeeeeeeee
    • View Profile
Let's Kill Iggy! (SMB1 Hack)
« on: November 29, 2018, 03:20:29 pm »
This is an extensive hack of Super Mario Bros 1 for the NES I've decided to make.

The basic gist of the story is that Iggy Koopa has broken away from the Koopa empire and decided to gather his group of Koopa rebels into a vast army to take over the Mushroom Kingdom, rather than Bowser's rather uninspired and overused plan to simply grab the Princess and hope for the best. Mario has heard of the plan from a mysterious source and will now infiltrate Iggy's domain to assassinate the son of the king of the Koopa.

Main things that have been changed:-

100% of the graphics are redone to be of the style of SMB3/SMW
Mario/Luigi are now no longer symmetrical so their sprites can be their SMB3 counterparts
Small things like fireball behaviour, enemy speed and block characteristics have been tweaked
All of the palettes have been changed and some sprites now have different ones applied
Mario now turns into big form from fire form when hit, like SMB3
Quite a lot of metatiles have been changed, to accommodate new features
The backdrops are now completely different
And probably more I've forgotten about.

The main reason I'm really doing this is to take advantage of the excellent SMB-remodeler tool. I've just discovered it and it's literally the best thing ever.

The ips for the latest revision is here- http://www.mediafire.com/file/grx5oi5x487nfrn/Let%2527s_Kill_Iggy_REL1.ips/file

(Please note that this is an outdated version. The latest edition will always be in my latest post here)

Feedback and criticism would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

December 01, 2018, 07:50:39 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey, here's an updated version with the start of World 2 done and some polished off bits at the beginning.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2z4t7e5f85zuu6u/Let%27s_Kill_Iggy_REL3.ips/file
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:58:59 am by HPJ »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Let's Kill Iggy! (SMB1 Hack)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 08:51:57 pm »
I liked the little bit I played, this hack has potential.  :beer:

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:38:33 pm »
About time I quickly review this in a rush.

In terms of the graphical aesthetics, it may look rather pleasing to a typical player overall.
Already in the starting level, there's the brightness indicated from the colour choices. (Kind of similar to this one GFX-only hack I know, but it didn't bother me.)

I particularly liked the underwater section where you decorated part of the level with red eyes, as well as this section:

While the level ideas do appear to be potentially fresh, at the same time I found the executing of the level design standards rather poorly to my tastes, somewhat underdeveloped.
Here are some rather picky examples:

In this section, this is a rather clumsy way to place coins next to a question block due to its heavy unsymmetrical placement.

This part: Any experienced SMB player will instantly recognise it's a barely designed 2-4. Keep in mind you wouldn't want the levels to be too similar to the original SMB.
Even if you do want to keep some artefacts behind, like 1-2 of the hack, at least make sure the transitioning between your own style of levels and the original assets smooth and not just a sudden appearance of them.

Not to mention, some levels needed the "breathing space" and filling in gaps such as more enemies to make it feel less "empty"! While I may not be the Bob Ross of level design either, eventual improvement and/or looking at it a second or third might as well help you to get up to those standards everyone wanted. Take a look at SMB2J/SMB Special's levels. How do they make certain assets of the level still relevant?

Just for another tip: Reason for the "1-<pipe tile>" glitch is because of the default staircase's value: It must stay at zero, no other value.
Is the pool clean?

HPJ

• reeeeeeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 07:54:44 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

The clumsy coin placement has already been fixed (in an update that I haven't put up yet). The barely redesigned 2-4 is still incomplete imo, I've been intending to finish it off for a while. Also, the problems with "breathing space" and barren bits are entirely down to my weird way of planning the levels. Basically I throw down all the ideas i came up with and go on to the next one. I then go back later, again and again, smoothing it out each time. You can probably see this in action in some of the later levels, where they are essentially a mess of thrown-together ideas strewn over an smb1 level.

Finally, thanks for telling me about the 1-pipe glitch. I've been tearing my hair out for literally years to try and fix that- I had no idea it was that simple. I tend to randomly alter things like that to see if it adds any effect, it often ends in weird problems that I can't fix.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 03:56:53 am »

In this section, this is a rather clumsy way to place coins next to a question block due to its heavy unsymmetrical placement.
There's a hidden 1-up block right at the end of that coin trail. On my first attempt I saw a gap ahead and when I jumped to clear it, I hit the block and died in the hole.

That block needs to be further to the left. Maybe have a single coin next to it as a hint to its location.

I really like the aesthetics of the hack though, and though it may take some getting used to, I think the increased jump height can lead to unique level layouts.

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:16:51 am »
Those faux blocks though. They have the same graphics as the base ground blocks which can lead to minor confusion!
Is the pool clean?

HPJ

• reeeeeeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 10:19:34 am »
K right. The 1up was moved a while ago, but not in the version that's here. I figured out the problem almost immediately after uploading the file :P

Here's the newest version thus far; https://www.mediafire.com/file/13rpp09a7lmgzt1/Let%27s_Kill_Iggy_REL6.ips/file

And here's a .zip with all of the previous versions in, if anyone is interested; https://www.mediafire.com/file/eippokp5vmv67b4/LETS_KILL_IGGY.zip/file

HPJ

• reeeeeeeeeee
    • View Profile
Re: Let\'s Kill Iggy! (SMB1 Hack)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 10:35:46 am »
Those faux blocks though. They have the same graphics as the base ground blocks which can lead to minor confusion!
Then they're doing their job! Their entire purpose was to make the player go "Wai... wha? Huh? Eh?" and all other kinds of confused onomatopoeia.

December 05, 2018, 11:00:48 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Right, OK.

The levels are 100% done and set out now, but small things just need polishing off and smoothing out, etc. It would be great if people could begin to point things like that out so it can be finished.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6b0o0fdlk6ffs08/Let%27s_Kill_Iggy_REL8.ips/file
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:00:48 am by HPJ »