News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: WANTED!! — Competetive Pokemon Players (Any Experience Level)  (Read 1456 times)

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
WANTED!! — Competetive Pokemon Players (Any Experience Level)
« on: November 25, 2018, 11:07:26 am »
Hey, all! This past month, I've been working on a Pokemon Stadium hack that allows players to have serious multiplayer matches using rental Pokemon. The idea is to create a version of the game that people can play online or in person without having to go through all the trouble of using Game Boy games.

You can download the current version of the patch and see all the details at my topic on the Smogon forums: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-stadium-smogon-ou-multiplayer-hack.3643795/

If you're interested in playing online Pokemon Stadium matches (via emulation, of course), please check out my post on Smogon and leave a comment. If you think you might be interested and want to read up on competitive Pokemon battling strategies, check out Smogon's articles on Gen. 1 battling here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:48:47 am by Q »
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: WANTED!! — Competetive Pokemon Players
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 02:58:12 am »
"Every Pokemon has maxed out stats"
Legal or otherwise?

As for the feature changes many look good but do they change things stadium broke or v1.1 or whatever versions fixed?

If you are asking for competitive players (I am somewhat unfamiliar with smogon stuff) then they might be concerned with that sort of thing.

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED!! — Competetive Pokemon Players
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:45:40 am »
"Every Pokemon has maxed out stats"
Legal or otherwise?

Legal. It actually doesn't even appear to be possible to give Pokemon illegal stats in Stadium because of how the game calculates stats.

As for the feature changes many look good but do they change things stadium broke or v1.1 or whatever versions fixed?

I was under the impression that the revisions of Stadium only made minor aesthetic changes. If you're aware of any gameplay fixes/improvements, please let me know what they are. It would be pretty trivial to port my changes over to a different version of the game, so I can definitely do that if there's a reason for it.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: WANTED!! — Competetive Pokemon Players (Any Experience Level)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:26:45 am »
Different version wise I was more thinking the later versions of the base pokemon game rather than stadium but if stadium did something it would apply.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Stadium_%28English%29#Changes

I also recall many years ago the random move... move I think it was mewtwo had also included waterfall or something in the mix which did not appear in the main list of random moves in the main game, or if it did it was so rare compared to every few moves we saw on stadium. Don't know if it was just something like gambler's memory but I do wish to note it.

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED!! — Competetive Pokemon Players (Any Experience Level)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:55:14 am »
Different version wise I was more thinking the later versions of the base pokemon game

Competitive Pokemon is divided up into different metagames depending on what generation you are playing and what Pokemon are allowed. When you play in an older gen, you play with all of that gen's idiosyncrasies, and they sometimes become a big part of the strategy. For instance, in gen 1, Hyper Beam is exceptionally powerful because it doesn't require a recharge if it knocks out the opposing Pokemon, so using Hyper Beam as a finishing move is a big part of gen 1 strategy even though it got fixed in all the later games.

Stadium is kind of gen 1.5; it's gen 1, but it has some fixes, including some significant ones (like fixing the aforementioned Hyper Beam quirk), so Stadium is really its own metagame. However, it's not represented on Smogon's Pokemon Showdown battle simulator. That's why I'm making the hack: so people can play the Stadium metagame. So changing the rules to reflect stuff from future gens would kind of defeat the point.

At some point in the future, it would be interesting to port some of the other changes from future games (like updated move lists, the physical-special split, and extra types) to see how it impacts the metagame, but it's not something I'm planning at the moment.

I also recall many years ago the random move... move I think it was mewtwo had also included waterfall or something in the mix which did not appear in the main list of random moves in the main game, or if it did it was so rare compared to every few moves we saw on stadium. Don't know if it was just something like gambler's memory but I do wish to note it.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Mewtwo doesn't learn Waterfall in any of the main games, and neither of the CPU Mewtwos in Stadium use it, either. Plus Mewtwo isn't a rental Pokemon in my hack and Waterfall isn't a particularly useful move, anyway. In gen 1, it's just a less powerful version of Surf, and it can only be used by Goldeen and Seaking.