News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 5 Rebalanced  (Read 985 times)

Trevormark

• View Profile
Final Fantasy 5 Rebalanced
« on: November 17, 2018, 09:12:23 am »
So, I'm working on a hack of Final Fantasy 5 Advance. Most of the work is on editing enemies in various ways; to be better balanced for the area they are in, to make them more different from other enemies in their area, to make them better able to use their entire strategies, to remove certain crippling weaknesses, to make rare items easier and less frustrating to get, etcetera. I also slightly altered the stats of various classes, and rearranged their abilities slightly. I've done about all I can with my current tools, so the hack is theoretically almost done aside from testing... but there are a few things that I want to do that would require altering the code itself in certain places. The two big things are:
  • Give Red Mages the ability to cast up to level 4 spells, like in Ludmeister's Custom Classes mod
  • Change the rate at which you get a rare steal instead of a common one from an enemy
Unfortunately, the Advance version doesn't currently have a rom map that I can find, unlike the snes version. Any tips for how I can make these changes? Either knowledge of the specific hex values, or just general advice for what I could do next to identify the relevent values on my own.