News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Acceptable to include patchers in download?  (Read 1892 times)

theflyingzamboni

• View Profile
Acceptable to include patchers in download?
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:41:18 pm »
Just a quick question. I created an exe to quickly install a hack I made. Thing is, it relies on 3 other existing utilities in addition to a custom one: xdelta3, cdpatch (from the old cmdpack), and psx-mode2. I'm trying to make this as simple to install as possible, and asking people to go download 3 additional programs seems a little much. So my question is, is it acceptable to include the executables for these three programs in my download, so people can just run the installer without the extra hassle? Obviously I'd include credits for the programs in the README, but I'm not sure if this is considered okay in this context.
ROM wasn't hacked in a day.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: Acceptable to include patchers in download?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:37:27 am »
As much as possible, don't include the utilities in the package if its already available here or on other sites; just provide the links. It would be redundant to give away patchers in each and every time a hack is submitted.  Any benefit would be reduced file size and downloading time (if ever you have already all those aforementioned utilities).

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:41:02 am »
I remember in the early days it seemed like every translation patch included ips.exe. How redundant.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

theflyingzamboni

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:44:31 pm »
Well, cmdpack at least is only available if you use the wayback machine anymore. And size is hardly and issue, since it would only add an extra 654 kB. I mainly just wanted to make it a little more convenient and avoid confusion with someone using another version with a different file name or something, at a low size cost. But I'll defer to people who have been at this longer.

hanhnn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:40:06 am »
Well, cmdpack at least is only available if you use the wayback machine anymore. And size is hardly and issue, since it would only add an extra 654 kB. I mainly just wanted to make it a little more convenient and avoid confusion with someone using another version with a different file name or something, at a low size cost. But I'll defer to people who have been at this longer.
I guess you can submit the patcher here and add that link to your readme.

theflyingzamboni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 11:24:17 am »
I guess you can submit the patcher here and add that link to your readme.
Honestly, that's a good idea just on general principal. I think there may be a couple git forks as well, but mine isn't the only hack to use that software, so having it on here would be good. I'll go ahead and do that.

EDIT: And it's been submitted.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:26:55 pm by theflyingzamboni »