News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Styling and/or Profiling: Post Your Gaming Rig!  (Read 789 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Styling and/or Profiling: Post Your Gaming Rig!
« on: November 11, 2018, 09:58:32 am »
Ciao!

Here is a thread wherein you may post a picture of your gaming rig, as it stands. Specifications are optional, but being that this particular board is rife with information aficionados (i.e. nerds), I generally expect that there will be specifications given, and indeed look forward to reading them myself. Interesting bits of Trivia are also welcome!

Darers go first, as they say, so here we are. If you click the photo, it'll take you to a larger version (apologies for the craptacular image quality...still trying to get a new smartphone). Below is a description contained within a spoiler, to keep this post from becoming a huge wall of text right off the bat.

Spoiler:
I have a Windows 7 Mousepad there, heh. Got a wireless mouse which runs on a AA battery, and connects using a 2.4 kHz wireless usb dongle (much the same way a Wireless Xbox 360 Controller connects). My TV is a Hitachi 42EDT41A made in March 2005, not exactly state-of-the-art, but it gets me by, and the speakers sound great. Sure is a pain to move, though. Got a copy of SF2:The Animated Movie and FF7 Advent Children. Next to those is a SNES Game Genie Codebook which I've owned since the 90's (geez I'm old), and likewise, the booklet from my original copy of Final Fantasy Tactics, which are the only two pieces of my original game collection I have left.

Got a NES Classic Mini the other day, and a Wii Classic Controller to go with it. The little white box behind it is an HDMI-to-Composite (Yellow-White-Red) converter (remember when I said my TV wasn't exactly state-of-the-art?).

Finally, the boom stand in back of everything is my old webcam, which I use as a microphone only. The new webcam I've got is sitting right on top of the TV, and both are going into my HP Elite 8000 Convertible Mini-Tower. It's got a Dual Core processor clocked at 3.16 gHz, and I recently got an nVidia GT 710 GPU made by msi for a very decent price. It's nothing spectacular, but it does the job for the money. Sitting on top of it are an 8bitdo SN30 Pro and a Buffalo SNES Classic controller.

Now, happy posting!
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
Re: Styling and/or Profiling: Post Your Gaming Rig!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 03:35:34 am »

I recently gutted an old Dell Dimension 2400 case and put in the following:

Ryzen 5 2600 (3.8GHz OC)
32GB DDR4-2133MHz
250GB WD Black nVME SSD
1TB Sandisk SATA SSD
4TB WD Blue HDD
LG BD-ROM/DVD+RW
GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB VRAM)
Asus B450M Motherboard (Four USB3 ports, one USB 3.1/one USB-C, 4 USB 2 and Gb NIC)
eVGA 600W semi-modular PSU
Dualshock 2 or 4 depending on mood.
Windows 7 Pro x64/Lubuntu 18.04

I managed to get a 92mm intake fan where the HDD plate previously went and another 92mm exhaust where the original CPU intake/shroud was.

Considering the small size of the case things run fairly cold: 28C for the CPU and GPU, 24C for the drives when idling. The CPU will hit around 54C with all six cores running at 3.8GHz but I undervolted the VCore by 125mV to get things that low. The GPU has hit 68C when running The Witcher 3 with everything at absolute maximum.

I'm pretty pleased with it: My previous Core i7 920 was almost a decade old (The CPU and MB, at least) and this is noticeably faster in a lot of regards, particularly video encoding (Yay for AVX extensions and 12 threads).

*Edit*

I also have a mini ITX "console" I designed.

And a handheld device.

And a retro game tablet with HDMI output controlled by Dualshock 3s.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:40:20 pm by Sliver X »