News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hacking Double Dribble Teams  (Read 1453 times)

kdubmods

• View Profile
Hacking Double Dribble Teams
« on: November 01, 2018, 01:08:48 am »
Hello!

I'm trying to change the teams on Double Dribble for NES, and I need your help. In particular, I'm starting with trying to swap out Chicago for Houston, and it appears on the initial game options (and team selection) screen.

Here is my current setup:
*Hacking Double Dribble (USA) (Rev A).nes
    --NoIntro ROM
    --CRC-32: E3E0BC5F
*Using FCEUX v2.2.3 w/Debugger Tools
    --PPU Viewer
    --Hex Editor
*Attempting to use Tile Layer Pro for graphics hack

I'm new to ROM hacking, so after reviewing the game and reading some ROM hacking guides, my understanding is I need to perform a ROM graphics hack. When I load the game up and arrive at the game options menu, I notice this:
*In FCEUX's PPU Viewer, I can see "Chicago" and its logo use Tile $E1-$E9, and $F1-$F9 in the Pattern Tables
*In FCEUX's Hex Editor, using View -> PPU Memory, I can see those tile values change memory address ranges 0020F0 (0020F3-0020FC) and 002110 (002113-00211C) when I change teams.

I've played with some of those addresses in the Hex Editor, changing tile $F1 to $F0, and tile $D1 to $F1, giving me "HOI" for the team name, but that's not what I'm after.

I loaded the game ROM into Tile Layer Pro, but I cannot makes heads or tails of it to find those same tiles.

So, how do I translate the information for those tile ranges I found in PPU Viewer to make the graphics hack from Chicago to Houston within the game?

November 04, 2018, 11:16:22 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here are some associated images for a better visual understanding...

Game Options Screen

Game Options Screen - Pattern Tables (in PPU Viewer)

Here is what I have attempted so far (close, but no cigar)...

Game Options Screen - Change Chicago Team Name Attempt

Game Options Screen - Change Chicago Team Name Attempt (Associated Hex Highlight)

So, how do I modify those "team name" tiles found on the right hand side of the pattern table?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:16:22 pm by kdubmods »