News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Shin Megami Tensei if... v1.00  (Read 4468 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Shin Megami Tensei if... v1.00
« on: October 25, 2018, 01:23:47 pm »

Update By: Gideon Zhi

It's been a long road, but today AGTP releases a complete translation for Shin Megami Tensei if... on the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom. The patch is complete and without any known issues; the game will speak for itself. Enjoy.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Special

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Shin Megami Tensei if... v1.00
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:33:49 pm »
More like Megaton.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:42:28 pm »
GREAT!

I love when so many good and awaited projects finally see the light of day  :)

Congrats and thanks to Gideon for his always great efforts to bring excellent games into English  :happy: And also thanks to the people who helped him  :woot!:

star_scream1646

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:21:51 pm »
Congrats to Gideon on this awesome release!!! :beer:

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 04:16:33 pm »
I've been waiting on this for a long time! Can't wait to finally sink into it and enjoy it. Cheers!
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

hemipode

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:35:32 pm »
Most excellent! Thank you for your efforts.

saldite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 09:03:28 pm »
Friggin' excellent! I've been waiting for a long time to play through this. Congrats, Gideon!  :thumbsup:

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 03:29:23 am »
This is wonderful early birthday gift! Thank you so much Gideon for everything you have done! Now the whole series is almost full circle!

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 08:14:22 am »
With this and Majin Tensei II just around the corner, it's looking like a pretty great season for Megaten fans. Major thanks & congrats!

DrakeDarkHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 12:18:32 am »
Not sure if this is the place but has anyone else encountered a bug where after their first battle they suddenly get bumped up to lvl 99 and get enough extra stat point to max out their stats? Because that just happened to me and I don't know what to do.

Otherwise it looks good so far.

EDIT: Figured out it was an issue with the rom I used, the problem has been fixed now.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:52:37 pm by DrakeDarkHunter »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 07:24:26 am »
Congrats on the release Gideon, can't wait to try it out this weekend.  :beer:
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 09:08:42 am »
Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. 8)
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 04:47:28 pm »
'Bout time. :D
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 05:42:17 pm »
Congratulations! I've waited for this a long time.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 09:45:17 am »
Congrats on the release and sorry about the @$$h@ts giving you a tough time about this game, some of which even have the audacity to post on twitter making their idiocy public to all.  Just the same, most of us, the silent majority and those who post infrequently because we have a life instead of hounding people like you for a release date are very happy and thankful!  We know you do this as a hobby, for free and out of a labor of love so we are glad to see anything!

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 04:09:58 pm »
Many thanks and my dear respect to you ! I really hope that one of the next releases will be a Ganbare Goemon game on Super Famicom.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 08:16:30 pm »
With this and Majin Tensei II just around the corner, it's looking like a pretty great season for Megaten fans. Major thanks & congrats!
And Tom announced he'll also translate Majin Tensei I  :)

GoldSaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 03:10:25 pm »
Thanks for this amazing project x)

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 12:00:34 pm »
I finished this on Saturday Nov. 10 but want to post my end game stats in case anyone is interested.
(Perhaps this will give folks an idea on the minimum required level to beat the game or help to avoid too much grinding):

Main character:
Level 54
HP: 687
STR: 23
INT: 11
MAG: 16
STM: 26
SPD: 22
LUK: 10
Guardian: Astaroth (level 65)
My stats went all haywire when I switched to that specific guardian and I lost quite a bit of strength and HP but INT and MAG went up a lot! I waited until the bar was red and totally filled before dying at level 54...

Equip: (nothing special, most likely): Longinus, M134 Vulcan, Jagd helm, tetrajammer, parade glove, jagd leg, nerve bullet

Yumi
Level 54
HP: 454
STR: 15
INT: 25
MAG: 27
STM: 17
SPD: 14
LUK: 6
Guardian: Dominion (level 52)
Equip: (nothing special, most likely): Shamshir, golden gun, panzer helm, panzer suit, panzer fist, panzer leg, nerve bullet

Minions:
Seiryu: Level 48, 866 HP, useful for rakukaja especially
Chernobog: Level 46, 898 HP, one of his skills was useful
Byakko: Level 47, 765 HP, THANK YOU FOR ESTOMA
Cu Chulainn: Level 43, 586 HP, Tarukaja/Tetraaja were super useful. I think deathblow did great damage too.

Overall the last dungeon did not present much of a challenge when I was finally ready to tackle it (thanks estoma and trafuri, like really, thanks so much) and the last boss went down very easily for me. I do not remember what 2 minions of the 4 above did good damage but two of them did. I had one of those minions do a critical of 899 and another one did a critical of 699 but most of the time they did multi hits for around 240 to 260. Other than that damage was between 75 to 100 for the other four but most of the time, thankfully, were multi hit. I know the main character closed in on 100 after a bunch of the -kaja attack boosts....Not even sure if the -kaja and -raja spells stack, seems like they did to an extent but I had one and sometimes two demons who basically sat their casting those most turns because..whatever... but Yah, the damage was in those ranges or something like that, don't totally remember, I was just soooo ready to end this game long before I even got to the school (try the end of the sloth dungeon).

So yah, if you are like me and NEED to finish every single rpg you start, even if you dislike it and feel the same as I did about this game and are looking for a decent idea of the minimum needed to beat it, go for AT LEAST what I have give or take 2 or 3 levels...perhaps the game can be completed around level 48-50 even or maybe even a little lower, would not be shocked, in fact go for it at level 50, I am sure it is pretty easy with estoma by your side and it saves at least an hour of griding! Any way with my current set up I NEVER felt threatened though it was kind of a long battle because the last boss had so much HP and I had to use 1 or 2 Charka pots or whatever it is that heals MP but otherwise he never hurt me all that much.

Now that I beat this "gem" I feel I can freely state it is pretty darn bad, repetitive, a huge chore and it p*$$es me off how much the translating group responsible for this game was hounded considering how bad it is....I kept thinking as the end credits rolled "dear god they have no idea how bad this was in the end...All that fuss over...this? Come on."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 09:04:32 pm by travel27 »