News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star Generation 4 - A Relocalization & Retranslation  (Read 9168 times)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Phantasy Star Generation 4 - A Relocalization & Retranslation
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 10:14:42 pm »
Unfortunately, there was never a Phantasy Star Generation:3.

As for PSGEN1...

- You can do critical hits now. Enemies don't seem to be able to, though.

- You can now see your characters fight and attack in battle.

- More than one enemy type at a time can now face you in a single fight.

- If there are multiple enemies of the same type in a battle, you'll see each
  individual one on screen instead of just one.

- There are multiple new spells: Heal All, Status Cure, Ice, Ice 2, Fire 2,
  Wind 2, Thunder 2, Sleep, Silence.

- Status effects exist now, including Poison, Sleep, Silence, and Paralysis.

- The level cap has been expanded from 30 to 99.

- Each character has an individual inventory as in Dragon Quest, instead of
  items being a shared pool.

- There is a new elemental damage system, which completely changes the way you
  look at the use of everyone's magic.

- Collabo Spells: There are new Spell Crystals in the game (Fire, Ice, Thunder,
  Wind, Heal, Status Cure) that can be equipped as accessories to grant added
  effects. One effect is allowing a character to cast up to three free spells,
  the third being a synthesis of two Crystals. However, there's a chance that
  a Crystal will break anytime you use a spell from them.

- There are also new weapons and items to find. In particular, the Atlas, which
  brings up a mini-map of every dungeon, can now be bought in shops. (An Atlas
  wears off after a certain number of steps.)

- Quite a few changed chest contents; you won't find 20 MST and a Cola in every
  other chest now!

- Enemies can now drop items after battle. It's usually nothing special, but
  there are exceptions.

- Changed shop inventories, but for the better in pretty much all cases.

- You can now Consult to view the team's take on the situation at hand. At
  times, you will need to Consult to progress.

- Various added keys are now needed to get into dungeons, making game progress
  somewhat more linear.

- You can hold the X Button to sprint in towns and on the world map.

- You can no longer save the game anywhere; saving must be done at terminals
  in towns.

- Suspend save: you can now create a temporary save file to the Memory Card
  anywhere, anytime. Once saved, you're returned to the title screen, and if
  you load your Suspend data, it gets erased.

- Story-wise, there's expanded text, added story elements, new anime-style
  stills for important cutscenes, a few new NPCs, some fairly minor new story
  arcs, and some added side quests. At times, you will need to talk to NPCs
  in order to progress. It's nothing that truly changes the essence of the
  story of Phantasy Star I, but it is present.

And ripped straight from my walkthrough, PSGEN2...

- Attack Charging: By holding down the O button when selecting your enemy
  target, you can charge your physical attacks to strengthen them to one of
  three power ranks.

- Timed Defense: When an enemy is about to damage a character, a circle will
  appear on them. By pressing the O button at the right time, you can reduce
  the damage by successfully parrying. Each character has a different timing.

- You can do critical hits now. Enemies don't seem to be able to, though.

- There are two new tech lines, Zonde from the online games and Wat, returning
  from Phantasy Star IV.

- The level cap has been expanded from 50 to 99.

- The inventory system is now a shared pool, though items don't stack.

- You can change your weapons and shields mid-battle, which is super useful.

- There is a new elemental damage system, which completely changes the way you
  look at the use of everyone's techniques.

- There is a battle rank system, which allows you to gain more experience after
  battle depending on how well you performed.

- The stats Strength, Mental, and Dexterity (Stamina, Intellect, and Skill in
  Generation:2.) now all actually work as intended.

- Each character has a new Skill, which they can use for 0 TP. However, their
  Skill Gauge has to fill first. Each character has a different rate at which
  their Gauge rises.

- Characters can now be assigned one of two Tasks when left at home: Practice,
  which allows them to gain EXP and level up while not in the active party,
  and Create, which lets them craft items in the new item creation system.

- Yes, there is an item creation system. It's very basic, but it's nonetheless
  useful.

- Storage is now done at home, rather than in Paseo's Central Tower.

- There are also new items. Many of them are gotten via item creation, but some
  are found in chests.

- A few added chests, and quite a few changed chest contents, mostly on
  Dezoris.

- Enemies can now drop items after battle. It's usually nothing special, but
  there are exceptions.

- Changed shop inventories, but for the better in pretty much all cases.

- The thief can now only steal what is actually for sale inside a shop. Sorry
  to those looking to plunder revival items straight away!

- You can now Consult to view mostly the main character's take on the situation
  at hand, though once in awhile others will join for a conversation.

- Suspend save: you can now create a temporary save file to the Memory Card
  anywhere, anytime. Once saved, you're returned to the title screen, and if
  you load your Suspend data, it gets erased.

- Story-wise, there's expanded text, added story elements, new anime-style
  stills for important cutscenes, a few new NPCs, some fairly minor new story
  arcs, and some added side quests. It's nothing that truly changes the essence
  of the story of Phantasy Star II, but it is present.

- The original Phantasy Star II is bundled with Phantasy Star Generation:2 on
  the same disc. Just select "Original Game" from the title screen.

Edit - Updated PSGEN1 with all of its changes. I don't think I missed anything.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:11:39 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 11:01:27 pm »
thanks! I've been trying to figure out which SMS/genesis version/hacks would track best with the Generation 4 recommended patch for PS 1-3.

Right now, figuring:

PS 1 retranslation
PS 2 Improvement + Lory's latest bugfixes
PS 3 Bugfix + Text Cleanup

Not sure how well the improvement / text clean-up will work with the latest bugfixes, though.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 12:49:04 am »
There's a retranslation of PSIII now, actually. It has a lot of bug fixes, but I'm unsure if it includes everything in Lory's release. Looking at the readme, it seems he did work with them on this to incorporate at least some fixes, though. I think this retranslation is based off of the US release. However, I haven't looked into it, since... cool new script or no, it's still Phantasy Star III. But it looks to be quality work!

When we can get PS Generation:1 v3.00 and PS Generation:2 v2.00 out, my recommendations would probably be:
- PSGEN1 English fan translation v3.00
- PSGEN2 English fan translation v2.00
- PSIII retranslation by Peaches, Lory1990, and R. Capowski v1.0
- PSIV - Generation:4 (Retranslated Ver. w/ original names) by GhaleonUnlimited

I don't remember if there are a huge amount of PSI and II references in III, or III references in IV. But I feel like Peaches' team's PSIII should be examined for inconsistencies compared to the other projects, so they're all cohesive.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:48:45 am by vivify93 »

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:00 pm »
thanks! I've been trying to figure out which SMS/genesis version/hacks would track best with the Generation 4 recommended patch for PS 1-3.

Right now, figuring:

PS 1 retranslation
PS 2 Improvement + Lory's latest bugfixes
PS 3 Bugfix + Text Cleanup

Not sure how well the improvement / text clean-up will work with the latest bugfixes, though.

Great questions, and vivify (who's done sooooo much work for the PS series) answered them well for you.

Yeah, I recommended the "Modern/Gen 4" ver of my patch cos even being a lifelong PS fan, I feel the SEGA AGES remakes are the best way to experience PS1 and 2.

They add a lot of character and detail to the story. Plus they're also more playable to modern sensibilities IMO.

And because they're fan-translated into English now, I think they best represent the original Japanese.

BUT there are wonderful new translations of PS1 (SMS) and PS2 (Gen/MD) so if you prefer classic I wanted a ver of the patch to match them.

The differences are minor for the PS4 patches. Mostly monster, spell, and item names. The script is about identical.

PS3 has a very cool story, but it's really more like a PS Gaiden and takes forever to see how it fits into the series. Unless you have a ton of time, I would read atheough a PDF of the strategy guide. I played through it as a kid but idk if I could do it again.

Although there is new English fan translation of PS3 which is awesome.

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 03:32:24 pm »
Hi all, I finally completed the game (had some save issues w/ my Everdrive) and can finally say I have a "final" (for now) version of the patch out. Made many small changes & edits & fixes.

The ending is also 80% rewritten from the original game script -- these edits weren't implemented properly in all earlier patches and I had no way to see that until I got through the game myself.

So I hope people enjoy it. Feel free to write a user review to share your experience with others, if you feel compelled to do so, and I'd love to hear your thoughts here through RHDN as well.

Thanks!

galneon

• View Profile
Sorry to see the awful review posted in February... I can't imagine it's a fair one (then again, I grew up buying Working Designs localizations on release day and loving them). I'll be playing through this sometime this year and will be sure to post a review, likely one of contrast.

Is v3.5 more or less final?

Edit: If a new release you consider to be fully polished isn't available by the time I start playing, would you be interested in notes on all remaining dialogue issues I find? I have a writing degree and extensive editing experience, so I'm unlikely to miss much or create needless extra work for you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:43:36 pm by galneon »

slankman

• View Profile

having a problem with latest 4.0 version ? using unpatched original .smd rom as before w/ the 3.5 version . Lunar IPS , Floating IPS , MultiPatch failed to patch using recommended old or new spells .ips files . by chance anyone have the 3.5 version or download link ?  thanks in advance !! i emailed the author waiting on a response...

chrisw80

• View Profile
The latest version of this patch (4.0) does nothing. Patched the right version and it might as well be blank. Using Lunar.ips and Floating IPS; Really looking forward to playing through this, anyone have a link to version 3.5?

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
Thanks guys for PMing me, wouldn't have seen this.

I made a mistake uploading 4.0 and each patch I included didn't work correctly.

I reuploaded and looks like my RHDN submission went through this morning. I tested the IPS files more and all should be well.

4.0 is at worst a "Proto Final" version.

If you've played a previous version and enjoyed aspects of it, please try 4.0 and see how you like it.

Many bugs in text during story moments were fixed, "emo" was replaced with "goth", the Dezoryinz dialect was made easier to understand, and the music matches the final story scenes as well as can be done.

Additionally, while cleaning up 100+ linebreak errors, I expanded/refined dialog in key story moments to just make it as natural and emotional as I could.

Also new for 4.0:
I included an "original English technique names" patch to coincide with the "I match PS Remakes" and the "I match SMS/Genesis/MD" patches. Even though it doesn't match up, I just really enjoy having the old "Res", "Foi", etc. as opposed to "Restr," "Feuer," etc.

It's kind of endearing that our original English technique names are gibberish, even if they were supposed to be German-inspired, actually descriptive names(as the PS Generation 2 team discovered), and as I grew up with them I prefer them. Turns out others do too, so I included what was just a version for me with the actual release this time.

Thanks! I don't enjoy streaming games but once I get this burned to a real Japanese PSIV cart I'd like to make time for a Let's Play, which would probably be more interesting than writing a wall of text in a readme about to talk about the help I got and the decisions I/we made on the dialog. Just to spread the word a bit I guess too.

Thanks for taking the time to try it out!

May 28, 2019, 12:21:41 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, I wanted to program this to a real Japanese PSIV cart, and I coudn't find the info anywhere on how to program a 2-rom game like PSIV. I asked a helpful expert at emuparadise, and he confirmed that the following should work:

PSIV is 3MB/24mB and has 2 ROMs on the board. But my patch puts over over 3MB, so I think it needs to be expanded to 4MB.

Program a M27c160 (bottom one, 2MB) and then another M27c160 (top one, 2MB), following all the normal programming instructions (byteswap both, program each bank 1 by 1 in 512KB chunks, etc.). And the 2nd ROM needs to be expanded to fill the entire chip, giving you two chips with 2MB/16mB each.

I found a thread exploring how you can program the whole game to a single M27c322 chip (4MB/32mB) but it's a more complicated process to get that working on a real PSIV cart.

I'll post when I get it working in case that info is helpful to anyone else.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:21:41 pm by GhaleonUnlimited »

darthvaderx

• View Profile
The patches are still wrong.  :'(

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
Hey, I think we PMd/emailed, but are they working now? Just making sure in case you (or anyone else) sees this first.

I re-reuploaded the whole zip. The first reup, I attached the wrong zip file so only 1 of the patch types worked right.

June 04, 2019, 11:45:53 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I got some help over at the Emuparadise forums on how to program this to a real PSIV cart. I'm using Japanese PSIVs because I only have 1 U.S. cart, and the JP versions are cheap on eBay.

The advantage of this is you have a legal copy of the game + patch -- and the Japanese art is so pretty! The boxed version comes with a nice map, too. And no one seems to pirate JP MD games, so you know you're getting a legit copy. (I really don't like the idea of people selling pirated games, so it's been cool to learn how to convert JP carts to English myself instead of paying for repros.)

The process is actually really easy and straightforward.
I use a TL866 Programmer with 16-bit adapter and its corrsponding software.

You need two blank M27c160 EPROMs (both fit 2MB / 16mBit) because the patched game won't fit on the 2MB + 1MB EPROMs like on the original board.

1. Use the GQ-4X software (even if you don't have this programmer) to A-B "byteswap" the post-patch .bin file, then save.
2. Use the hex editor HxD to Split the files into 512 KB segments. File #7 will be smaller than the others. That's OK!
3. Plug in your USB Tl866 programmer and load its software, and just sequentially program each bank of 512KB chunks.
4. Remove both EPROMs from the PSIV cart (I'd mark which was top and which bottom) and solder in the new ones. No wiring at all.

See the guides below (I didn't make them) for more detailed instruction.

So for #3 (the programming) Parts 1-4 will need to be programmed on the 1st EPROM (which will be the BOTTOM EPROM on the actual cart - as in closest to the edge connector that goes into the Genesis) and parts 5-7 program to the 2nd EPROM (which will be the TOP EPROM on the actual cart - as in closest to the game label on top of the cart).

Follow this YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmhiPjnK768 and also this walkthrough https://assemblergames.com/threads/guide-make-a-reprogrammable-genesis-cart-with-a-tl866.62543/

None of the guides online mention anything about programming a game that requires two EPROMs like PSIV, I guess because there are so few.

And to get a Japanese cart to fit in a Genesis (and I'd guess a EUR MD), either use your early-model 32X and it fits without mods, or file down/remove the tabs under the Genesis cartridge slot. You can use a Game Genie, but when I was a kid, I know  I couldn't save on PSII using it, so I'm not sure if you can save using a GG.

Actually, you can force a MD game into a Genesis as-is it'll play fine (those plastic tabs will bend with force). But I don't recommend this!

Reach out with any questions if you try this out. I just successfully programmed a cart and got it to boot today, so I need to play through the whole game on it and make sure there's no errors.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:45:53 am by GhaleonUnlimited »

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
Update: The patch is in a "final" state, with the next updates entailing my editor (Squirrel2) and I having more top-level discussion about the way we interpreted the characters. \

I'm going to do a Let's Play, and I'm going to have a few PS experts on who've helped me on this and/or worked on the PS Gen 1 & 2 fan translations, so that'll be fun.

Also, I added a "NO JOKE" patch for those who've said they want a closer-to-the-vest localization.

From the readme:

*Removed most color/editorialization added to NPC lines
*Softened/blanded a few Alys lines at the beginning
*Removed a few added/colored character moments

I feel differently than some do about what the writing in videogames and also localizations should be strive for, and have felt this way since the '90s.

I did this project for personal amusement, but when I released it and got more feedback, I respect that not everyone has to share my viewpoint.

I don't want people to miss out on the enhancements to the PS universe and story because they didn't like a few jokes at the beginning, so I figured giving players both options is best.

If you try the recommended and don't like some of the writing, play this to still get all the fixed PS references, more accurate translation, and improved story dialog.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Looks great! So all of the patches include Lory's bug fixes now? That's what I was hoping to see! :woot!:

lostn

• View Profile
I just completed the game with your patch. Started a few weeks ago and 4.0 was the latest available at the time. For some reason I assumed you'd finished working on it. I wasn't sure if save games would have been compatible between builds so I just continued to the end with 4.0. It is my first time ever playing PSIV. Glad I did. I needed a taste of this piece of gaming history that many Genesis fans rave about.

Based on your patch notes you've made quite a lot of changes to the game that go beyond retranslation, including adding new items, making items useable by characters that were denied those items before, and changing the music in certain places. I don't know how I feel about that, but I would have appreciated better shields than Silver for Rune and Raja.

Anyways, had I known you would have done a No-joke patch I would have waited for this. I did not like the references to modern day pop culture, such as emo (changed to goth which I still don't like) and the CSI references. Or even coffee. It's not been established that coffee is a thing in Algol. As someone else said, the references to thinks like Game Gear and other Sega stuff you can get away with because you only see them if you examine book shelves.

Changing the names of techs and skills did make it difficult for me to follow the wiki/faqs. I had to look up how much SP the ability costs since you didn't create a chart showing original names and retranslated names.

You changed Termi to Paseo which as far as I know was only a theory.

I thought this game was quite good. It's a welcome step down in difficulty compared to I and II. Retranslation made using occasional walkthroughs difficult though. And something I don't get is why Gamefaqs writers insist on summarizing every cutscene and spoiling it for you. They don't understand their audience and must be assuming the player has already beaten the game before, but then why would they need your walkthrough? Spoilers are unnecessary.

I thought the graphics in this game are better than any SNES JRPG I've played. But it deserved a remake from Sega still.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Thanks for making a patch without jokes and such. Everyone has their own opinion, but I for one can't stand Working Designs-like "script escapades".

One thing I always wondered is if there is a hard limit for character names, since a lot of them were changed for the localization and "Alys" created a massive deal of confusion back then, as players often assumed her to be the Alis from PS1 (actually Alissa, while the PS4 character's actual name is Lyla). Same thing for Wren, full name Forren, which makes it a lot clearer that we aren't dealing with the model from PS3 (as far-fetched as that would be).

In any case, if this patch were to include name reversions, I'd consider it the ultimate PS4 patch, since it already includes bugfixes.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:38:34 pm by Red Soul »

lostn

• View Profile
Yes it is strange that he reverted some characters to their Japanese names but not Alys? Where's the consistency?

Seth was changed to Jiam, but even the wiki does not reference that name. At least not in english.

megamike15

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2019, 06:33:38 pm »
is there a way to make a version compatible with the steam version? lunar isp says it patched  it but it does not work.