News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Emulation on Linux  (Read 6472 times)

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Re: Emulation on Linux
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 06:41:49 am »
Is there a way to program macros for controller inputs within the emulator?

I'm playing the old school Super Smash Bros. for N64, and I would really like to have my right analog stick do the C+Direction attacks like in Melee and other modern versions.

Also, it keeps recording randomly. What is the hot key to start and stop recording?

I haven't used macros, so I wouldn't know. As for recording, it seems to be mapped to O by default.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 11:47:17 pm »
It's giving me the "black boxes" again:

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? How do you fix it?

s1n

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 01:14:47 am »
It's giving me the "black boxes" again:

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? How do you fix it?

Did you install retroarch assets?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 05:53:34 am »
That means you're either missing retroarch-assets or it's older than the retroarch version you have installed.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 11:35:09 pm »
I'm sure I am using the latest version.

How do I install these retroarch-assets?

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 12:01:20 am »
I'm sure I am using the latest version.

How do I install these retroarch-assets?
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install retroarch-assets

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 01:04:37 am »
I already did that, and it did nothing.

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 01:30:46 am »
I already did that, and it did nothing.
it must've done 'something'. what's the output from the terminal? are the assets installed but not working, or do they refuse to install at all?

if they're installed but not working, have a look at your config files (/etc/retroarch.cfg and ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg) and make sure that "assets_directory" points to a directory where the assets are actually located.

alternatively, there's an updater included within RetroArch that should be able to install necessary files without using system package management.
it's disabled by default, so you'll have to set 'menu_show_core_updater = "true"' in your config, then look here and check the "Download Art Thumbnails for All of Your Games" section.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:45:43 am by thr »

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 01:15:40 am »
To anyone who ever has the same problem, I found the solution here.

DOWNLOAD ASSETS, unzip the file, and copy the "assets" folder into ".config/retroarch". Overwrite anything that might be in there, because whatever was in there apparently wasn't doing jack shit to begin with.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 03:18:48 am »
Or you could change assets_directory in the config to the path where the retroarch-assets is installed. It's a bit weird the path changed by itself. Bear in mind that when using manually downloaded assets in your config directory, you'll have to keep them updated or else you might see some missing icons after updating to a newer RetroArch.

umegamer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 02:57:35 am »
I've been a big fan of "universal" frontends since the 90s.

For Linux I typically use a Python based frontend called Mah!Cade:

I wrote a page about making a dedicated Linux emulation machine here that may be helpful as well?

i just checked out your site and it looks really interesting.
it says you're using kega fusion for genesis emulation.
how did you get that to work without the keyboard/mouse?

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 08:59:08 am »
Is an Nvidia or ATI GPU really needed to run the N64 cores for RetroArch (inside Ubuntu, not Lakka), or can I get away with just using the Intel HD Graphics GPU?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 10:28:51 am »
Is an Nvidia or ATI GPU really needed to run the N64 cores for RetroArch (inside Ubuntu, not Lakka), or can I get away with just using the Intel HD Graphics GPU?

It shouldn't be necessary. Intel GPUs should have enough juice unless you do something crazy with shaders.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 08:18:26 am »
I've decided to dive a bit deeper into Linux after only fiddling around with live stuff occasionally.

Just how useful are old versions of distros for ancient hardware without persistent online access? I've turned a thin client into a Win98 SE machine, but I've found that e.g. a Knoppix distro from 2011 also would still run on it. There are also small distros like Tinycore, but from what I've read, they're not really for beginners.
Knoppix has the advantage that it comes on a DVD with a lot of programs right at the start.
It's Debian based. Is it just a matter of finding old compatible packages and the necessary dependencies? Basically, what determines compatibility for a distro?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 10:52:01 am »
Just how useful are old versions of distros for ancient hardware without persistent online access? I've turned a thin client into a Win98 SE machine, but I've found that e.g. a Knoppix distro from 2011 also would still run on it. There are also small distros like Tinycore, but from what I've read, they're not really for beginners.

Knoppix has the advantage that it comes on a DVD with a lot of programs right at the start.
It's Debian based. Is it just a matter of finding old compatible packages and the necessary dependencies? Basically, what determines compatibility for a distro?
I expect a lot of distros ought to work fine on older hardware, at least as long as there's enough RAM.  The tricky thing would be video card drivers, but that's always the case.

In the end, you'll inevitably come across something that ought to work but doesn't quite function like it should, and you will end up tearing your hair out trying to find the obscure solution.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!