News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Attempting to datamine Drakengard, need help  (Read 351 times)

Popful

• View Profile
Attempting to datamine Drakengard, need help
« on: October 22, 2018, 12:07:01 am »
So, to be brief, since TCRF hasn't touched anything from the Nier/Drakengard series, I decided I'd start fixing that myself, despite my lack of any real hacking experience beyond basic usage of Cheat Engine and hexediting.

So far, the only real progress I've made is in using X-Ripper to rip a bunch of BMPs and TGAs that nothing on my PC can read, and in ripping a .bik video (no audio, I'm assuming that's a separate file) that has half of Branch A's CGI scenes, and all of Branch B's... and, interestingly enough, all the talking head animations from the in-game scenes! That's right, those are pre-rendered!

So, I next tried to look into the game's text via hex-editing the ISO, and after I successfully generated a table file using monkey-moore (keyword used was "Inuart"), I tried opening the iso in Translhextion.

This is where I hit a snag.

Opening it in Translhextion gives me a "Not enough memory to load file" error. Trying to open it in WinHex32 just has everything show up as zeroes.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I should note that I'm doing this with the USA iso. Also, if anyone knows what to do with the BMPs and TGAs, I'd appreciate that.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to datamine Drakengard, need help
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:23:51 am »
Are you saying you attempted to open the ISO directly in a hex editor?  I thought I recalled reading that was not generally done, on account of how the disc image contains extra error correction data.  But I may be mistaken.

Trying to open it in WinHex32 just has everything show up as zeroes.
Either WinHex32 is not opening the file correctly, or you did not browse far enough into the file.

since TCRF hasn't touched anything from the Nier/Drakengard series
It is conceivable that people have looked and found nothing of interest.

So far, the only real progress I've made is in using X-Ripper to rip a bunch of BMPs and TGAs that nothing on my PC can read
I expect X-Ripper's algorithms are limited and that the files it is extracting are not actually BMPs and TGAs, but merely resemble those data formats on some superficial level.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Popful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:16:31 am »
I remember reading the opposite about at least one game. Maybe it depends on the game.

Either WinHex32 is not opening the file correctly, or you did not browse far enough into the file.
I scrolled to the bottom, and still nothing. I think it's WindHex having problems. HxD was able to read the file, but that program doesn't have table support, so it's basically useless for what I'm trying to do.

It is conceivable that people have looked and found nothing of interest.
Possibly? It'd make sense if that were the case with Automata, since there's already people modding the PC version. But Drakengard is a relatively unpopular game, so it's entirely possible I'm the first person to even try this.

I expect X-Ripper's algorithms are limited and that the files it is extracting are not actually BMPs and TGAs, but merely resemble those data formats on some superficial level.
That's very likely, actually.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:46:27 pm »
Well, if you still want to open the disc image in Translhextion , I reckon the thing to do would be to download a file splitter, cut out the first few hundred megabytes or whatever, and see if Translextion can open that.

There's no shortage of free file splitters out there, I can't think of one I would recommend over another.  They all probably produce the same result.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...