News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Crystalis - Sky Tower Exit Hack  (Read 1078 times)

DrDimension

• View Profile
Crystalis - Sky Tower Exit Hack
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:40:12 pm »
So a while back, I suggested in the hack idea megathread that someone create a patch for Crystalis that allowed you to return from the sky tower to earth (and vice versa). I've got a tiny bit of time now, and this seems like a relatively straight-forward hack, so I'm going to make the attempt.

As for what is required, I imagine the following needs to be done -

1) Find the offset for the sky tower map where I want the warp to earth tile to be (http://nesmaps.com/maps/Crystalis/CrystalisMap99.html).
2) Find the offset into the tile data that points the tile to the appropriate warp.
3) Understand the mapping of the tile data of the surrounding tiles so they can be edited to graphically indicate a warp tile.
4) Test that the Crystalis Sword can do damage to enemies on earth (EG, no (or very few) enemies are immune to it).

Again, this should be straight-forward, but we'll see.

If anyone wants to pitch in or make suggestions on any of the above, please feel free!

I'll post updates here.

October 18, 2018, 12:06:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, I found the offset of the tile I want to alter, but tile data in general doesn't seem to embed metadata such as warp destination.

Any suggestions how a game like this might correlate a tile with its warp metadata?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:06:33 am by DrDimension »

Rabite890

• View Profile
Re: Crystalis - Sky Tower Exit Hack
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:16:22 pm »
Good luck on this. I've been upset about this ever since I played it back in 1991 or 1992.