News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: もう気にしてませんから  (Read 635 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
もう気にしてませんから
« on: October 17, 2018, 09:28:35 pm »
Reaching out for some second opinions/discussion. I'm checking my translation for Maison Ikkoku on the Famicom. Below are some phone conversations with Kyouko, the manager of the apartment building who you as the main character, Godai have a crush on. Godai, through a combination of weak-will and jealousy, winds up dating a girl named Kozue despite the fact that Kyouko already knows that Godai likes her. (Seriously, if this sounds fun/interesting and you've never seen/read Maison Ikkoku, it's probably Rumiko Takahashi's best work.)

At any rate, below are a handful of phone conversations for context. The line I'm debating is "もう気にしてませんから。". I'm debating between something like "I don't give a damn anymore.", and more of a "No, don't worry about it.". Due to the "もう...から", it seems like there is a "don't anymore" connotation that feels like it has some exasperation, but maybe I'm reading too much into it. There's no "yo" on the end, and it ends in a period, so I'm wondering if it's less accusatory, and more courteous like "It's fine, I don't mind/don't worry about it." I feel like there's also the possibility that Kyouko is upset but less hostile like "It's FINE with me."

I'm also not sure if you as Godai have dialed the manager's number and are speaking to her directly, which is something I think you can do in the game, or if like the preceding line, someone has called for Godai, and the manager is speaking to them.

Thoughts?

Code: [Select]
はい、いっこくかんです。[PAUSE]行五代さん ですか?[PAUSE]九[LINE]
Yes, this is the Ikkoku building.[PAUSE]行 Godai?[PAUSE]九[LINE]
ちょっと まってください。[PAUSE]?($FF)
Just a moment please.[PAUSE]?($FF)

はい、[PAUSE]九あっ、五代さん・・[PAUSE]小はい・・[PAUSE]小はい・・。[PAUSE]小[LINE]
Yes,[PAUSE]九 Oh-, Godai... [PAUSE]小 Yes... [PAUSE]小 Yes...[PAUSE]小[LINE]
もう 気に してませんから。[LINE]
???
チ~ン・・($FF)
Ding...($FF)

[SLOW]($02)ばんごうを おまちがえじゃないですか![LINE]
[SLOW]($02)Don't you have the wrong number![LINE]
ガッチャン・・[PAUSE]?($FF)
Click...[PAUSE]?($FF)

[SLOW]($02)こずえさんと あなたが なにをしようと [LINE]
[SLOW]($02)It makes no difference to me what[LINE]
[PAUSE]二私には かんけいありませんわ![LINE]
[PAUSE]二 you and Kozue do![LINE]
ガッチャン・・($FF)
Click...($FF)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:38:48 pm by filler »

• View Profile
Re: もう気にしてませんから
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:00:33 am »
I don't mind/care anymore.
not much idea whats going on beyond that anyways without knowing whats actually happening in the game though, but that line is neither aggressive nor telling another person to not care.
Discord: 730#8471

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:07:28 am »
Thanks. :) My instincts were telling me that I was over thinking it, so I'm glad I asked for a second opinion. I welcome more feedback, but I'll leave it as "I don't care anymore."

tashi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:37:57 pm »
I agree with 730, but another common expression in English in this context would be something like, "I'm fine with it."
In love, using the word "fine" is a huge red flag most of the time.