News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Art] [Title Screen] [SNES] SRW Logo Help  (Read 1186 times)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
[Art] [Title Screen] [SNES] SRW Logo Help
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:46:41 am »
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some help adapting the latest official Super Robot Wars logo for use in the SNES primary canon titles, starting with EX, then 3, then 4.

Here's the original SRW EX title screen:

Here's what I've managed to hack together with some Paint Shop Pro filtering and waifu2x de-noise. It's okay, but I'd really prefer something with clean lines and that blue bevel effect applied.

And here are the original tiles, with the necessary palette applied.

I've decompressed the data and can freely edit the image in-game. We're a bit more than halfway through editing the main script, and just about all the remaining technical issues have been solved. The title screen is one of the final touches that needs to be put on the project.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
Re: [Art] [Title Screen] [SNES] SRW Logo Help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:46:52 am »
i gave this a go but no idea how in or out of spec this actually is compared to what you need.

do it as you wish :P

edit:

here's another go at it with color reduction performed bound to your palette.

edit2: now that i managed to actually read your post fully and noticed you wanted "clean lines" here's test 3 with no adaptive error diffusion, to produce cleaner color bands.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:04:22 am by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:28:33 pm »
That's actually pretty good, and is definitely a step in the right direction! If possible, I'd like a little more definition around the edges of the letters, especially the interior bits like with the U/R/O/B/W/A characters, but I also realize that we're getting into tiny territory and that these things might not be possible (or, at least, might be easier with SRW3 and SRW4, which afaik have bigger logos.)

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:35:12 pm »
i actually attempted to distinct the letters a little (mind you this was a fast job) by using a darker color on the edges but the limitations of the imposed palette made it stand out too much and this looked better so far. I do also realize that the blue beveling here is nowhere near the original as it was again a quick job where i took the bevel color and applied a quick stack effect with a lighter dropshadowing on it.

Either way, this is 99% machine generated as it is, as i simply googled for the logo, made a quick 20second rendering job out of it, then beweled it and fed it through a color reduction algorithm with aforementioned settings. (the test3 is just bound to your palette and forced error diffusion off.)

I'll try and improve it a little more either later today or tomorrow.

Edit: okay here's a test4 with handmade blue bevel to (attempt to)match the original more closely, also slightly darkened gaps on the letters to make them stand out more. It's still not really ideal, but all my attempts to make them darker than this either looked like shit, or only looked half-decent on 1x (who plays snes games at 1x reso anyway?) Again, do as you wish with it :P

this logo is more or less identical in size to the original too, so you should have no issues placing it in the game. it is 1px smaller in height and identical in width to the above original.

and for extra shits 'n giggles, here's a mocup with the above thrown into the title screen

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:34:11 am by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 03:14:39 pm »
Implemented (and hotlinked, cuz 16MB gif.) Thanks!

I've uploaded the paletted bitmaps for 3 and 4. These should be easier since the logos are bigger than EX's, and since the digit is really the only difference between the two I've provided the files for both.
SRW 3 paletted tiles
SRW 4 paletted tiles

And the actual titles, for context:

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 03:17:17 pm »
Wow, looks great!

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 03:20:16 pm »
that's pretty neat ^^

i can give a go for the 3 and 4 too if you want, but what exactly do you want to do with the number ?
leave it to the left? move it to the right ? remove the text from above and below it ? (what does it say anyway ? :P)

sans that, i shouldn't have much troubles dealing with the "super robot wars" itself, the bevel here looks like it's easier to replicate too
In PSP we trust.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 04:48:27 pm »
The number should be blown up to be full-size, and moved to the right of the logo.

These are actually "Dai 3 Ji Super Robot Taisen" and "Dai 4 Ji Super Robot Taisen", literally "The Third Super Robot War" and "The Fourth Super Robot War" but the English colloquialism (supported by SRW4's opening crawl) is that it's just "Super Robot Wars 3/4." We'd get rid of the dai and the ji, so it's just SUPER ROBOT WARS 3/4 along the lines of the title screen for the existing SRW primary canon patches.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 02:16:43 am »
I'll see what i can do :)

Edit:

no shading on the bevel yet, but is this anything like what you're after ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:37:54 am by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

Jazz

• View Profile
    • Jetran
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 03:06:53 am »
Nice job Mugi,

Can I make a suggestion? The edges seem a little off when placed onto a light background. I think you could reduce this issue by adding the white bevel to the left side "S". Although I haven't used the font, I made a quick mockup that incorporates this. Another idea is to give the think lines as per the gradients of the original japanese logo and include the shadow dip contrast with brown/white to give a rounded look - I think that's what makes the logo look schmick!.

Quick mock to show what I mean:

Jetran Website
View for Gameboy english translation projects

Discord: Jazz#9202

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 03:52:23 am »
Nice job Mugi,

Can I make a suggestion? The edges seem a little off when placed onto a light background. I think you could reduce this issue by adding the white bevel to the left side "S". Although I haven't used the font, I made a quick mockup that incorporates this. Another idea is to give the think lines as per the gradients of the original japanese logo and include the shadow dip contrast with brown/white to give a rounded look - I think that's what makes the logo look schmick!.

Quick mock to show what I mean:

i did actually notice this too, but until you brought this up, it didnt bother me enough to get to fix it, however you managed to invoke my inner OCD so here you go;

In PSP we trust.

Jazz

• View Profile
    • Jetran
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 04:10:47 am »
i did actually notice this too, but until you brought this up, it didnt bother me enough to get to fix it, however you managed to invoke my inner OCD so here you go;

Sexy! Was playing off my OCD too hence I messaged haha. Tried to fight it but the result looks great.
Jetran Website
View for Gameboy english translation projects

Discord: Jazz#9202

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 04:18:28 am »
I do have to admit that it looks better this way, *pokes gideon* i take it you should reimplement it :P
And just for a side note, I couldn't care less if I'm credited from these or not, I'm just here to help, so if anyone feels like they can improve what I brought here, go for it.

and just to not get the topic at hand (srw3 and 4) lost, I'll just copypaste my earlier edit here..

here's an initial draft for SRW 3, if it's anything of the direction you wanted, i'll get on to finishing the bevel (no shading yet) and clean it up properly. This one is already forced to your palette but is missing lots of touchups (white dropshadowing on the "3" bewel shadowing, etc..)

Edit2: actually nevermind, here's an implementation candidate, proper palette, beveled, edges cleaned for varying backgrounds (I'm learning here!) should work... technically. lemme know if there's something you'd like to have differently

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:11:00 am by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 04:33:43 pm »
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the 3 - it doesn't have quite as much body as the rest of the characters - but that's otherwise definitely what I had in mind!

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 02:07:55 am »
my selection of fonts is rather crap but i'll see what i can do to get a better match.
if you have something in mind, let me know.

here's a fatter 3 :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:40:42 am by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.