News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: TransCorp Releases 'Angelic' Tenshi No Uta English Translation!  (Read 5073 times)

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
canoe has a "code" (or whatever they're called, im not really an expert) that is set on games that use hi-res mode, maybe setting that would help if the game doesnt' originally use it. The canoe fixes thread had some talk about that with some games that had issues.
In PSP we trust.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
Okay, so I've tried running this in both zSNES and SNES9x, but neither work: in zSNES, I get the same issue others have had where there's no text and the game hangs on the intro, and in SNES9x, the title screen music is glitched up and the game crashes as soon as I try to start a new game. Is there any other emulator this will work in?

Bosco82

• View Profile
The hires preset doesn't do anything different, I've tried pretty much everything at this point.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
canoe has a "code" (or whatever they're called, im not really an expert) that is set on games that use hi-res mode, maybe setting that would help if the game doesnt' originally use it. The canoe fixes thread had some talk about that with some games that had issues.

Unlike the aforementioned Seiken Densetsu 3, Tenshi no Uta does NOT use hires, so it's to be expected that fiddling with those presets will do nothing about this particular issue. The translation does, however, expand the SRAM to use it as extra RAM for variables, vwf scratchpad etc. An extra 8kB of known free RAM is really nice on the SNES. Nightcrawler's previous translation, Glory of Heracles IV, does the same thing, but with no such issues. So it's not like this approach is flawed. Like I said, it's just that the expanded SRAM happens to be incorrectly mapped in some older emulators, as well as the Super Everdrive. The translation does work on real hardware, as well as more accurate emulators.

For the record, there are only a handful of translated SNES games using hires. The ones I know of are: Seiken Densetsu 3, Rudra no Hihou, G.O.D. and probably Marvelous.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:28:00 pm by mziab »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Okay, so I've tried running this in both zSNES and SNES9x, but neither work: in zSNES, I get the same issue others have had where there's no text and the game hangs on the intro, and in SNES9x, the title screen music is glitched up and the game crashes as soon as I try to start a new game. Is there any other emulator this will work in?

All modern accurate emulators will work fine. SNES9x 1.56.2, no$sns 1.6, higan v106, bsnes, bsnes-classic, bsnes-plus. Please use one of those. Old emulators like ZSNES aren't going to work.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
For the record, there are only a handful of translated SNES games using hires. The ones I know of are: Seiken Densetsu 3, Rudra no Hihou, G.O.D. and probably Marvelous.

Dark Law uses SNES-hires as well.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Dark Law uses SNES-hires as well.

And now that I think about, Madara 2 is also one of those, but that's not translated, sadly. Well, the bottom line is that Tenshi no Uta doesn't use hires.

Q

• View Profile

If you're having trouble with SNES9x, it may be an issue with your ROM. Did you check to make sure your ROM is headerless? You can use SNES ROM Utility to easily remove headers.

Tobas

• Need a Spanish translator? I'm your man.
    • View Profile
the one time I got it to work the text was missing. I have the right rom, and it's patched, but no matter what version of snes9x I use I cannot get it to work right.

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
Works perfectly on Snes9x 1.56.2 with default settings. I tried it on several snes emulators for psp as well, but text is either invisible and/or garbled on all of them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:31:16 pm by Tyrantnyx »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
the one time I got it to work the text was missing. I have the right rom, and it's patched, but no matter what version of snes9x I use I cannot get it to work right.

I just woke up, so forgive me if I missed something by just skimming the the thread, but I'm pretty sure hi-res support in SNES9x is optional via checking a single box in the display settings.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile

First, use the included TransPatch.exe patcher in the translation download if you haven't already. That will ensure a correctly patched ROM.

Next, use the current version of SNES9x:
https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/releases/tag/1.56.2

Then, play the game!

Or use higan, bsnes-classic, or no$sns

Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
About how long is the game and how liberal is it in allowing saves? I'm going to be finishing up my current commute games in the next few days and will need something to take their place.

Tobas

• View Profile
is that version of snes9x available on retropie?

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
is that version of snes9x available on retropie?

RetroPie, or rather libretro, has several different versions of Snes9x available. There are at least 3 different ones: snes9x2005, snes9x2005_plus and snes9x. The last one seems to be most recent, but also the slowest.

Tobas

• View Profile
I've tried it on all versions, sadly it seems retropie users are out of luck.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
I've seen reports that it also works on SNES9x2010, which can be installed on the SNES Mini and RetroPie I think. I believe they may be referring to this version:

https://github.com/libretro/snes9x2010

About how long is the game and how liberal is it in allowing saves? I'm going to be finishing up my current commute games in the next few days and will need something to take their place.

It's not long, even for SNES standards. There's no in-game timer, but I want to say somewhere around 15 hours. It's very linear and quick moving. It has a few experience checkpoints that will boost you if necessary too, so not much grinding.

You can only save in towns except toward the end. Most dungeons are rather short, however I think you might need savestates if you only have short play sessions.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
You can only save in towns except toward the end. Most dungeons are rather short, however I think you might need savestates if you only have short play sessions.

Not short - my commute is a 40+ minute bus ride in either direction - but it's difficult to time getting back to a town with arrival at my stop. Yeah, might end up with savestates.

Thanks!

mrtzeentch

• View Profile
I've tried it on all versions, sadly it seems retropie users are out of luck.

Fear not! I thought the same thing but there is a solution. Use the emulator "lr-snes9x" Use ONLY this emulator and make sure you used the Tool that came with the patch to assure you used the right rom. All of the other Snes9x versions will ahv the glitch and whatever you do do NOT use the one simply called "snes9x" as it will ock the whole Raspberry down. Don' use the ones with years like "snes9x2003" etc. Just "lr-snes9x" You may have to add it to your console via the RetroPie settings menu, where you can add "experimental" packages. But I can confirm this emulator works perfectly with the game.

VladimIr V Y

• View Profile

Ball Bullet Gun also uses it.