News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [BUG] - Breath of Fire 2 HUD line behavior glitching  (Read 2403 times)

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
[BUG] - Breath of Fire 2 HUD line behavior glitching
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:01:50 pm »
This is a rather strange glitch that I've encountered in the following ROM hack, located here:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/

Specifically, the ROM hack from Ryusui's re-translation hack, has an odd behavior with the top-most line in the battle HUD. What's odd is I'm getting various results in how it's displayed. On the top of the HUD, it's showing about 1/4 of a black line flickering at the edge, tested on Higan Accuracy and a Super NT. But on Snes9x 1.55.2, the issue is nonexistent, and there's no black line or flickering of the edge of said line.

Snes9x 1.55.2 - no black line on battle HUD

Higan Accuracy - black line on 1/4 of battle HUD, flickering

Super NT/SD2SNES  - black line on 1/4 of battle HUD, flickering

As you can see, Higan and the Super NT have the exact same results with the black line anomaly.

I'm running it on a Super NT, which uses FPGA hardware simulation and not emulation, so emulation should be pretty indistinguishable to a 2/1/3 2-chip model SNES, running of the latest SD2SNES revision and firmware. What I was informed on the Krikzz forums is that this is "normal SNES behavior" and would require someone, notably the author, to debug this particular HUD issue. My question is, if the real hardware does it, and cycle-accurate emulators do it, what options are there more that one can look into?

Thank you for your time, I certainly hope I'm not wasting anyone's.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: [BUG] - Breath of Fire 2 HUD line behavior glitching
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 02:36:51 pm »
You will find a number of visual oddities during your playthru. This translation was developed before high-accuracy became a thing. You'll see them in the Witch's Tower, Eva's Grand Church, and a few others.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 05:09:42 pm »
You will find a number of visual oddities during your playthru. This translation was developed before high-accuracy became a thing. You'll see them in the Witch's Tower, Eva's Grand Church, and a few others.

Are these anomalies detrimental or bound to cause any damage to displays being used? I currently use an HP Omen 25" LED screen to play this on, will that flickering/line issue be any cause for concern? I don't want there to be any dead pixels or burn-in, mostly. Is there nothing I can do other than trying to get a hold of the translation team behind the ROM hack? What's weird is that Snes9x 1.55, despite being only second to Higan in accuracy, doesn't exhibit the HUD glitch. I want to be sure before I attempt to run it.

I was afraid of that, ugh.

Sara-chan

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Divine Blade
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 01:57:10 pm »
Your display isn't at any risk from flickering. You can play without any worries, though may want to just play on Snes9x so as to be less distracted.

Burn-in is caused by something staying on screen for a very long time, unchanging, and doesn't afflict LEDs as easily as it afflicted CRTs besides.
In a sky full of people, only some want to fly.
Isn't that crazy?

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:38:59 pm »
Your display isn't at any risk from flickering. You can play without any worries, though may want to just play on Snes9x so as to be less distracted.

Burn-in is caused by something staying on screen for a very long time, unchanging, and doesn't afflict LEDs as easily as it afflicted CRTs besides.

I mean, I can ignore it for the most part, I prefer the somewhat higher accuracy of hardware emulation than software emulation, it feels more authentic to me, using an 8bitdo controller versus an Xbox 360 pad, but that's just me. Apparently people report that issue being on a real Snes, so until the author can be contacted, not much can be done.

My apologies for bothering you guys with a trivial quirk -_-, but thank you for the reassurance.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:28:18 pm »

What happens in those places anyway?

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 04:43:49 pm »
What happens in those places anyway?

Just a few anomalies, but the game is completely playable from beginning to end regardless. ROM hack wasn't designed with real hardware in mind, unfortunately, most ROM hacks relied on inaccurate emulators a while back.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 10:18:04 pm »
I recall at the time bsnes was the most accurate emulator, though I can't even remember which version it was I had used to test. I do recall at the least bsnes had vblank limitations enforced. That was like byuu's #1 complaint against existing emulators to begin writing his own.
I do know that it was at the time people when 3Ghz was considered asking a lot.
That was like 2008-2009. So bsnes was like in like 03x-04x versions.

I can't recall if it was before or after I tested Emerald Dragon, but it was pretty close. I remember it seemed bsnes was about the only emulator to run THAT game correctly. SNES9x had spotty SPC emulation which caused crashes on some versions, and I recall that was one of the games where you could HEAR the audio-barf in ZSNES' sound emulation. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 10:41:46 pm »
I recall at the time bsnes was the most accurate emulator, though I can't even remember which version it was I had used to test. I do recall at the least bsnes had vblank limitations enforced. That was like byuu's #1 complaint against existing emulators to begin writing his own.
I do know that it was at the time people when 3Ghz was considered asking a lot.
That was like 2008-2009. So bsnes was like in like 03x-04x versions.

I can't recall if it was before or after I tested Emerald Dragon, but it was pretty close. I remember it seemed bsnes was about the only emulator to run THAT game correctly. SNES9x had spotty SPC emulation which caused crashes on some versions, and I recall that was one of the games where you could HEAR the audio-barf in ZSNES' sound emulation. :P
Zsnes is...an absolute embodiment of ear rape, I don't know how anyone can use that and endure the horrid S-SMP emulation  :huh:  That said, Higan Accuracy (which runs like molasses on my Haswell Core i7 4470, *sigh*), and the Super NT got 100% identical results with the HUD issue. Like what was said, it's not detrimental to the display, but it's definitely odd, and something that will never be fixed. Short of using Snes9x 1.56, which doesn't exhibit it, yeah, *shrug*. I'll deal with it, I'll take hardware emulation over software emulation any day of the week.

Speaking of Snes9x, as of version 1.53, it's been using the same cycle-accurate S-SMP core as Higan.