News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The big list of Untranslated Sega Saturn Games  (Read 988 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
The big list of Untranslated Sega Saturn Games
« on: October 07, 2018, 11:59:31 am »
Someone wanted a list of all known Sega Saturn games that haven't been translated, and so I made a unchecked dirty list of what is out there. I will go over these to see which ones were translated already by the community.

If anyone wants to make use of this list feel free to add it to your checklist database.

https://pastebin.com/raw/Eb1uMw83

Fan Translated or WIP:
WIP - Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku
WIP - Air Management '96
WIP - Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Unknown - Last activity 2013)
Dragon Force II: Kamisarishi Daichi ni
WIP - Grandia
WIP - Lunar: Silver Star Story
WIP - Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari
WIP - Ninpen Manmaru
WIP - Mahou Gakuen Lunar!
Policenauts
WIP - Princess Crown
WIP - Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (Unknown - Someone was working on this but likely now a abandoned project)
Shining Force III Premium Disc
Shining Force III Scenario 2: Nerawareta Miko
Shining Force III Scenario 3: Hyouheki no Jashinguu
Shoujo Kakumei Utena: Itsuka Kakumei Sareru Monogatari

This will be updated randomly whenever there is a project coming along. If I missed any projects floating around please feel free to post and I'll add to it.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:30:48 pm by Kallisto »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: The big list of Untranslated Sega Saturn Games
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 12:43:29 pm »
Perhaps creating a document on a text-hosting site like pastebin, or Google Docs?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:51:14 pm »
Thank you for that! Now it is all there!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:03:07 pm by Kallisto »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 04:47:01 pm »
Out of curiousity, what are the differences between Chaos Seed's SNES and Saturn versions?  Is it mostly a graphical upgrade or something more?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 11:39:11 pm »
Out of curiousity, what are the differences between Chaos Seed's SNES and Saturn versions?  Is it mostly a graphical upgrade or something more?

I'm not quite sure, but looks like they added Cutscenes, Voice Overs, and updated music I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfaPnnSOKQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXzoOI6-ERg

The Sprites and backgrounds looks like they may have been touched up a little bit.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 12:13:13 pm »
Other WIPs:

Air Management '96 (abandoned but the hacker uploaded his WIP files; RHDN thread here)
Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari (text is dumped, thread on RHDN here)
NInpen Manmaru (SegaXtreme thread here)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 06:05:11 pm »
Isn't Gradius Deluxe Pack completely in English?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 02:14:51 pm »
Isn't Gradius Deluxe Pack completely in English?

I took a quick look, and yes you're correct. Sometimes there were Saturn games that either did have English or had some limited English Mode attached to the games but there were not many of them and that were exclusive to the Japanese Audience but never came overseas.

I'm unsure as to why Japanese Developers did this at the time in the 90s.

Recapnation

• View Profile
    • postback.geedorah.com
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:30:28 pm »
You mean why didn't they release a version of those games for the Western markets? They rarely had those markets in mind, especially in regards to the Sega Saturn. English menus and whatnot have always been present in Japanese games essentially because that's how the earliest video games (those born in the USA and which served as a reference) were. Most of the terminology of these menus are English words, anyway. And even Japanese kids won't have an issue with elementary English and roman alphabet. Complete English-language modes are very unusual, though, and they're normally there for completism purposes, such as the ones of Vampire Saviour, Bubble Symphony or the Sega Ages releases. Said that, seems quite clear that for the cases of VS and BS they actually thought about overseas people directly importing the titles from Japan -- you can even find a 50-Hz-optimized mode in the latter.

It's cool a thread like this exists here since the Sega Saturn has been traditionally neglected within the translation circles and seems these days, with a better and easier emulation of it, more and more people are realizing the relevance of its catalog. However, I believe the list above posted through Pastebin isn't going to help much to get more people interested as it is -- it's long and uncommented and it mixes games which do require a translation in order to be played with games which are perfectly playable without translation.

I hope you don't mind me if I take the liberty of making a selection here of what I find the more interesting pieces which should really get some attention so that this thread/subject gets a bit more visibility. I have been playing my Japanese SS since 1995 and managed to enjoy then pieces like Grandia or Princess Crown even without knowing a word of Japanese, so following how the West finally gains access to unique pieces like these 20 years later is something I find fascinating, in a way.

Given that both, Grandia and Princess Crown have active projects, a special mention should go to Tengai Makyou: Daiyon no Mokushiroku.

It's so good in almost every aspect that even people who aren't particularly fond of the genre (like myself, I guess) could have a blast with it if properly translated. Good old Tom will be supposedly taking care of it at some point, though there're possibilities it ends up being the PSP version, which is not as cool for different reasons. Sadly, it could take too many years for this to happen since he's giving priority to Ziria and Manjimaru at least, so until then, non-Japanese-proficent people will be missing one of the genre's milestones, so it's always a good moment to spread the word.

Madou Monogatari is quite a special game too. It's the best version of this popular RPG by Compile, very different to the other games in the series, and one of the best non-action games from this seminal company. Albeit quite a conventional (traditional) approach to the genre, it's full of charm, good visuals and well-thought-out pacing and flow. A translation of the game's script exists, though. Not sure if it counts as a "project" or if it may be of some help for starting one.

Terra Phantastica has good reputation among S-RPG fans. Fun battle system coupled with lovely sprites and Akihiro Yamada's fantastic designs.

S-RPGs were indeed plentiful on the system. Flight Plan's reputation had its beginning with Black Matrix, which debuted on the SS. Some of the most detailed visuals you'll find in the entire catalog are here, a story which tried to be dark and different, I guess, and well, it's the predecessor to the popular Summon Night series. Said that, Black Matrix OO on the PS deserves a translation more than this.

Another lesser-known S-RPG also on the PS, Tilk, has quite a fascinating rural theme and some good sprite labour. It's by Farland Story series' creator, TGL, and this one, I'm not sure if it's improved over the PS version.

Kunoichi Torimonochou, an adventure game with card-based battles, got my interest for being the only other known piece from Magical Pop'n's creators (Polestar). I merely touched it, but enough to see it was quality, even if in a small quantity. It got a PS port afterwards.

Linkle Liver Story is quite known at this point for its action-based nature. The story is as unsubstantial as any other but it's a solid game nobody plays for being in Japanese.

Anearth is a port of one of the best-regarded RPGs the PC Engine got. Without hesitation, this will get the love and attention from the Western fan at some point. It just need some exposure, as usual.

Another direct port from the PCE is Kuusou Kagaku Sekai Gulliver Boy, based on a popular shounen animation. Never had the time to play this and it's possible the PCE version is a better form to play it, but everybody says it's lovely no matter what.

Cyberdoll, cool setting and monster design for an overlooked RPG by Betop which you'll only find on the SS.

Much like Marica by Feycraft (under Victor's budget). This is more teenage and anime-like, but no SD sprites for once.

There're many more, of course, but these are the more interesting I recall. I have a selective game list for the system here, by the way:

http://postback.geedorah.com/listados/listado_ss.htm

It's a selection made in regards to relevance or quality, but it has 410 titles listed chronologically, so it can be of some use here.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:45:39 pm by Recapnation »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:25:00 am »
Those are very interesting games, and as to why I chose pastebin because it was simple and didn't require a account; also the text limit on this site prevented me from doing a direct list. As to get these Saturn games more exposure is definitely another matter, I think it is possible a lot of new generation of gamers may not even be aware of these games (even though Retro has been making a comeback here and there).

If anything the best bet is to do articles for HCG101 as they been really hammering on a lot of obscure games, I think as long someone is willing to do the research then said game might get more exposure. HCG101 as far I know has been growing it's audience, so it would be a good start.

Ultimately as for translation well...participation and interest just needs a refocus, I'm not sure where or how that can happen. I personally blame how Saturn Translation first started out years ago, and it has driven a lot of people away but nowadays far as I know Saturn Translating has gotten some kind of rejuvenation thanks to advancements according to Discord chatter I was following but will see how this scene will evolve later. The biggest letdown I've seen with Saturn Translation was when Shin Megami Devil Summoner got dropped at some point for unknown reasons, but in one way that might have been a good thing because the PSP version is probably the better option since it seems Translators are more proficient to work the PSP rather than the Saturn.

Also it would be good to see how many of these games got ported just to see if can ease the translation process if the Saturn Version is deemed too difficult to work with. On another matter, I think we need more Translator-end documentation on what to expect when messing with these games such as file formats, and other things as I think it would greatly benefit anyone willing to do the dirty work at some point in the future.

Oh btw isn't Anearth that game that looks like it was meant to be a series? I only ever see "First Volume" but not the rest anywhere. One Saturn game I've been interested in was Grandia Digital Museum since it is like a lost chapter of the First Grandia game with it's own plot (I'm not sure if it requires a Clear Save File from the original game to unlock any extra features).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:45:00 am by Kallisto »