News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Quest III Enemy Viewer  (Read 2166 times)

Volcannon

• View Profile
Dragon Quest III Enemy Viewer
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:38:13 am »
I have a couple questions regarding this utility.

1.This is listed under the snes version of the game but when I open it, it asks you to select a .nes file. Why?
2.I keep getting an HSP error. What is causing it?
It's Nerf or NOTHING!!!

Shanepo

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest III Enemy Viewer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 03:46:23 am »
I have these same questions and i too need answers and would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shane.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 09:16:14 am »
I have a couple questions regarding this utility.

1.This is listed under the snes version of the game but when I open it, it asks you to select a .nes file. Why?
2.I keep getting an HSP error. What is causing it?
1. Because it IS for the NES version, not the SNES. According to the readme, renaming the ROM as "dq3e.nes" (without quotes) makes it load automatically but the error still persists.

2. I don't know anything about HSP. But according to this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Soup_Processor

Hot Soup Processor is a programming language from Japan that was originally developed in 1994. It was originally based on BASIC, but has diverged significantly from those roots over the years. It is freeware as of 1996, and now is open source (OpenHSP) under the BSD licenses. HSP is used to teach programming in Japanese schools, and because it is freeware, it was a popular programming language for doujin soft in the late 1990s.
Maybe it would only run on "Japanese internet environment"  :huh:

FWIW this similar utility by the same author also encounters the same error - http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/64/

Volcannon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 11:18:58 am »
Ok, so shouldn't these files be either modified or taken down if they are just going to cause problems?
It's Nerf or NOTHING!!!

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:10:28 pm »
Ok, so shouldn't these files be either modified or taken down if they are just going to cause problems?
These are old files that would be considered "grandfathered" or kept for history sake. If anyone can somehow make it work by modifying it for modern computers, that would be cool, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:25:23 am by Zynk »