News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Game Boy Colorizer Tools (What is needed?)  (Read 1746 times)

RadiantAnsel

• View Profile
Game Boy Colorizer Tools (What is needed?)
« on: September 29, 2018, 12:06:06 am »
Hi everyone! New here, not new into programming, my Programmer nick is "RadiantAnsel", I do love games and I do administrate a community for a game called Senko No Ronde, Mexican, 18 years old... stuff lol

Anyway, I wanted something to know, what is needed to make GameBoy games into GameBoy color games? I already saw some like "Metroid II DX", and yes, I do understand the best results are going to be making the "colorizer" game by game, which is not a problem for me, I know is not a magic tool and I need to repaint every sprite, which is not a problem since I also know about sprite work.

I wanted to make "Sagaia" (aka Darius) in color format, I don't have anything against B/W, but really, doing some color hacks for some games could be nice.
I just basically want to extract the sprites, color them with the required tool and then reinsert them with a compatible format, I don't want to do crazy stuff.

For the answer, thank you a lot! Regards from Taco Land!

dartcron

• View Profile
Re: Game Boy Colorizer Tools (What is needed?)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 01:53:54 pm »
I would like to second this notion, With Super mario land 2 DX and Metroid DX being released it must be possible to upgrade game boy titles to Gameboy color.. and I would like to know the steps of the process to do it because I really want to play the original Final Fantasy Legend II (Saga2) upgraded to have color. Thank you for any help on this matter
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:17:59 pm by dartcron »

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:31:44 pm »
Step 1: Get the BGB emulator with debugger.
Step 2: Learn ASM.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Colorize roms.

/dACE

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:08:15 pm »
Toruzz-san created a guide to colorization on YouTube that he later removed, but he will create a new one that is better.

https://twitter.com/toruzz/status/1039641927866413056

https://twitter.com/toruzz/status/1040162011185864704

Good luck!

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:46:31 pm »
He posted this a long time ago: "At this moment, SML2DX has about 8000 lines of code and 112 files cointaining around 250KB of data and graphics."

This is his 1300-line source code for expanding the player's name of "For the Frog the Bell Tolls": https://pastebin.com/GMJtRNyV

In other words, if you have to ask how to colorize a Game Boy, you probably won't be able to do it.
There has to be a better life.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:48:11 pm »
It'd be so cool to play some of the other Gameboy games in color. I mean I like the original Gameboy games, but having them in color would be awesome