News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: De-patching?  (Read 885 times)

leontan6730

• Translation Seekers
    • View Profile
De-patching?
« on: September 21, 2018, 03:21:21 pm »
Is there a way to "de-patching" a patched PSX ISO/BIN file? For example, I patched a Japanese ISO with English Translation Patch, after that I accidentally deleted the English Translation Patch from my PC. Since now I have a English patched Japanese ISO/BIN file, is there a way to extract the patch from it?

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
Re: De-patching?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 06:55:47 pm »
if you want to get back the original japanese game, i'd say no (that i know of atleast)

but if you do have both the patched copy and an unpatched copy of the game, you could always make a new patch out of it.
i suppose technically it wouldn't be the same file and most likely wouldn't share the same CRC either, but functionally it shouldn't really make a difference.
In PSP we trust.

leontan6730

• Translation Seekers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:07 pm »
if you want to get back the original japanese game, i'd say no (that i know of atleast)

but if you do have both the patched copy and an unpatched copy of the game, you could always make a new patch out of it.
i suppose technically it wouldn't be the same file and most likely wouldn't share the same CRC either, but functionally it shouldn't really make a difference.

So basically, how am I going to extract the translation patch within the patched ISO/BIN file? Is there any program can be used to do that? I just want the translation patch to act as a backup if the patched ISO/BIN file is damaged after that.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:06:01 am »
So you have the original Japanese ROM/ISO and the English patched one too. However you deleted the patch and now want the ability to patch the Japanese ISO again if you should ever need it?

In that case find a patch making setup that works for the system in question and go from there.

If you don't have the Japanese game any more then you are probably going to need to get that again. Though for your thing I would probably say just download the patch again.

Theoretically you could probably do a variation on the theme of ISO/ROM ripping where you would take out the big files that don't have any translation related info (music, video, most graphics...) and store that (what might have been a several gig iso should now be far smaller). You would then get a new copy of the Japanese iso, extract it, copy paste all the files over it and rebuild. Figuring out what those files might be can be slightly tricky, however if you want to play it safe you can go that way instead.

Otherwise you have learned why we tend to store things and always operate on copies.

yetisyny

• yetisyny a.k.a. General Public
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 09:50:30 am »
Try this program and use it to make a BPS patch: Floating IPS. It can make BPS or IPS patches but IPS patches are not designed to work with files as big as ISOs for CDs, so a BPS patch is what you would use this to create. Just tell it what ISO file is the original and what ISO file is the version you want the patch to change the original into, and it will create a BPS patch file.

There is an alternative, if you think BPS is too slow and don’t care if your patch file is larger. You can try this other program if you want to make an XDelta3 patch: Delta Patcher. Pop in the original Japanese ISO file as the original, the patched English ISO file as the patched version, and then tell it to create an XDelta3 patch. I think that this will be faster than making a BPS patch but the downside is the patch file will probably be much bigger.

So I recommend the first program, Floating IPS, for making a BPS patch, over using Delta Patcher to make an XDelta3 patch. There are other programs you can use to make patches too, but I am not sure about whether they are good or not for making patches for large ISO files. Both of these are quite good programs. As long as you have the original Japanese ISO and the patched English ISO you ought to be able to easily recreate the patch using one of those programs.

Forget what I wrote earlier and have crossed out. I THINK the information I got about BPS being better was probably stuff I read online that was written by byuu, the creator of the BPS format, who tends to be very accurate in his statements although a bit biased in favor of stuff he created himself (which is understandable), but then, I misinterpreted his statements and thought he was saying it was better than XDelta3 when he was actually talking about how it was better than IPS, in terms of creating smaller patch files and being able to process much larger files. Those are true regarding BPS versus IPS, but NOT regarding BPS versus XDelta3, this was my reading comprehension error. I DID correctly get that BPS is quite slow because byuu himself admits this.

Anyway use this program to make an XDelta3 patch: Delta Patcher (Full version, not Lite version). Pop in the original Japanese ISO file as the original, the patched English ISO file as the patched version, and then tell it to create an XDelta3 patch. It seems this makes smaller patches than the other formats and is also faster, and able to handle very big files. Not just according to me, but according to other people posting in this thread, too, who have actual experience with this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:02:10 am by yetisyny »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 12:37:16 pm »
I think that this will be faster than making a BPS patch but the downside is the patch file will probably be much bigger.
xdelta making bigger files than BPS? Do you have any examples to prove that?

Last time I tested them, BPS was slower and produced bigger files, and it didn't work at all with CD-sized files. ("This file is too big to handle." or something.)
There has to be a better life.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 03:40:08 pm »
xdelta and the size of it's patches really largely depends on how it has been used, if you use the commandline "-B ****" (***being the scan block size here) that defines the maximum block size to be the same size as the image file itself, it will compare differendials between the whole image as opposed to the default setting which to my knowledge is not very large.

for example, my translation patch for evangelion: girlfriend of steel for psp, with default settings of xdelta, produced a patch of the size of 220MB
and by using the switch "-B 536870912" (536870912 meaning 536,8MB, the size of the .iso file) reduced the patch from 220MB to 40MB
In PSP we trust.

PhOeNiX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 04:25:47 pm »
xdelta and the size of it's patches really largely depends on how it has been used, if you use the commandline "-B ****" (***being the scan block size here) that defines the maximum block size to be the same size as the image file itself, it will compare differendials between the whole image as opposed to the default setting which to my knowledge is not very large.

for example, my translation patch for evangelion: girlfriend of steel for psp, with default settings of xdelta, produced a patch of the size of 220MB
and by using the switch "-B 536870912" (536870912 meaning 536,8MB, the size of the .iso file) reduced the patch from 220MB to 40MB

I agree, indeed Delta Patcher was designed exactly for this reason, to have a more fine grained control on the patching process, without relying on the command line. You can choose the Source Window Size in Delta Patcher as big as 1 GB.

In my experience, BPS patches (at least the ones generated with current encoders) are always bigger than properly tweaked xdelta3 patches.

robertw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 04:53:45 am »
just find a patch making setup that works for the system in question and go from there

yetisyny

• yetisyny a.k.a. General Public
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:43 am »
my translation patch for evangelion: girlfriend of steel

I just wanted to say that it is AWESOME that you translated that game, Evangelion: Girlfriend of Steel 2 (listed here), and anyone who translates Evangelion games is automatically someone I think is just the best. And also I made a mistake in my post which you and others pointed out, and I corrected it. Sorry about that! Seems XDelta3 is the best. BPS just has smaller file sizes than IPS and is able to handle bigger files than IPS... NOT XDelta3. XDelta3 makes smaller files and is also much faster, according to literally everyone who has actually used both patching systems and commented here. I misread the information about BPS online and I am a dummy.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 10:43:22 am »
I just wanted to say that it is AWESOME that you translated that game, Evangelion: Girlfriend of Steel 2

thanks, dont really see people who appreciate it everyday, it doesnt really have that big of a fanbase afterall i guess.
I hacked a pile of other games from the series (gfos 1, evangelion: JO, that battle orchestra,whatever it was, and the 3nd impackt (typo heh heh...))
but never got arsed to get those anywhere to a workable state, since finding people interested of actually translating the script is a pain in the ass.
In PSP we trust.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 05:43:46 pm »
xdelta making bigger files than BPS? Do you have any examples to prove that?

Last time I tested them, BPS was slower and produced bigger files, and it didn't work at all with CD-sized files. ("This file is too big to handle." or something.)

As I recall, BPS used an XOR method that was designed to be reversable. That's probably why it was large.
UPS was the successor format which dropped the reversability as it was decided to be a rarely-useful feature.
Unless I am remembering wrong.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 05:54:14 pm »
As I recall, BPS used an XOR method that was designed to be reversable. That's probably why it was large.
UPS was the successor format which dropped the reversability as it was decided to be a rarely-useful feature.
Unless I am remembering wrong.

Actually, it's the other way around. UPS was byuu's older format which used XOR. This got dropped in BPS, which got delta patching capabilities instead. The rationale behind dropping XOR was that it made patches less compressible, while causing some strangeness in conjunction with ROM expansion.