News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project RE-Quest: Script Ports For Dragon Warrior 5/25/20 DW2 is Ready; Screens  (Read 38180 times)

laserlambert

• View Profile
Hmm now the game just goes to black after the enix credit rolls and doesn't go to the "The End" screen.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Hmm now the game just goes to black after the enix credit rolls and doesn't go to the "The End" screen.

Okay try this now

https://www.mediafire.com/file/95rlu2537rns8o7/DW2_RE-Quest_v1.12.xdelta/file

Before I tried replacing the extra space with End tokens, now it's just 5F (spaces). If THIS doesn't work, I'll have to compare it to the original and add spaces after any altered names.

June 14, 2020, 02:35:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ooops, had to reupload that last patch, if you downloaded it already try it NOW.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:35:16 pm by Choppasmith »

laserlambert

• View Profile
Now the Enix logo stops before scrolling off screen, but still no end screen.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Now the Enix logo stops before scrolling off screen, but still no end screen.

Ah I got it! First of all, I found a savestate on Zophar's Domain with the ending, so I was able to test it myself. It seems abw's sample abcde script doesn't quite rip the end credits correctly. It has 8E as the end token when it ACTUALLY needs 8E followed by FF to properly "end".

Speaking of the ending I noticed a mistake myself. Seems like you have to start a line with the the single/double quotes in order for the game to do the "speaking" sound effect so some of those character dialogs are silent when they shouldn't be.

laserlambert

• View Profile
Ah I got it! First of all, I found a savestate on Zophar's Domain with the ending, so I was able to test it myself. It seems abw's sample abcde script doesn't quite rip the end credits correctly. It has 8E as the end token when it ACTUALLY needs 8E followed by FF to properly "end".

Speaking of the ending I noticed a mistake myself. Seems like you have to start a line with the the single/double quotes in order for the game to do the "speaking" sound effect so some of those character dialogs are silent when they shouldn't be.
You mean when you talk to your party members right? I had noticed that and thought it strange, perhaps as something to point out, but it's basically the same thing as what happens in the prologue with that dialogue, so I left it out. I think anytime it uses a name or * with a colon after to designate a specific person is speaking it does that.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
You mean when you talk to your party members right? I had noticed that and thought it strange, perhaps as something to point out, but it's basically the same thing as what happens in the prologue with that dialogue, so I left it out. I think anytime it uses a name or * with a colon after to designate a specific person is speaking it does that.

Yeah I'm editing it now to follow DW3's example of having [name]:[line]'Speech' or, to properly format it

[name]:
'Speech'[end]

as it works fine this way. I didn't really notice it with the prologue until now because after testing the intro so many times I eventually just muted the sound.

June 14, 2020, 05:20:33 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm kinda torn honestly, while adding the "speech" sound makes sense, there's no way to separate it when two characters are speaking in the same string. So when I get to that line at the end of the prologue

King:‘Grrrarrrghhh!!!’[wait][line]
Princess:[line]‘FATHERRR!!!’[end-FC]

I can't unhear "King" not having the sound, but "Princess" does. Maybe I'll just revert it to how it was before this and just focus on dialog at the end.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:20:33 pm by Choppasmith »

laserlambert

• View Profile
I think the silence works for the prologue, as for the ending why even have [name]: for those lines, it seems only useful for when the speaker isn't clear, like if two characters overlap each other like the prologue. it would probably be best to just format those two lines to be like any other normal dialogue, with no name to start with.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
I think the silence works for the prologue, as for the ending why even have [name]: for those lines, it seems only useful for when the speaker isn't clear, like if two characters overlap each other like the prologue. it would probably be best to just format those two lines to be like any other normal dialogue, with no name to start with.

Thank you so much, I was in quite an indecisive stalemate with myself that's really aggravating.

As for the party member talk at the end. Strangely enough this is pretty much how the original did it too

Code: [Select]
[no voice][name] : [line]
‘Thou shalt go[.’][end-FC]

[no voice][name] : [line]
‘What? I seek not the crown[.’][end-FC]

But when you suggested that and I saw it myself, it's like... yeah. I guess it's something from the original Japanese formatting they just didn't feel bothered changing. Maybe it was done to really push the feeling of "Hey these are YOUR party members and they're talking to YOU now" But it's not really consistent with their dialog earlier.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and push the new version in now.

abw

• View Profile
It seems abw's sample abcde script doesn't quite rip the end credits correctly. It has 8E as the end token when it ACTUALLY needs 8E followed by FF to properly "end".
Ah, so it does. My end credits were longer than the original, so I moved them to 0x270010, which happens to be a giant block of $FF, so I never noticed :P. I'll update the sample table in the next version of abcde.

I'm kinda torn honestly, while adding the "speech" sound makes sense, there's no way to separate it when two characters are speaking in the same string.
Yeah, this was a little annoying - you can turn speech and auto-indenting on, but there was no way to turn them back off again, so I made a patch for that. There's a bit of a delay between disabling the speech flag and the sound actually stopping, so I ended up doing e.g. " [no voice][line][no voice]" to make it line up better.

Seb

• View Profile
I finished my own playthrough of this hack last night. So far, I really liked the efforts of this project, both for DQ1 and DQ2.

I've noticed this thread accepts feedback for fixes, and there were a few odd things I noticed. This was the first time I finished the NES version, but I played a little bit of the regular US release to check and compare, so I can report issues unique to the hack.

First, the command window seems to try to shorten back to its original size, which also causes some words to get cut, such as "Spells" and "Items" going back into singular, and "Command" erasing one of its Ms. This is most noticeable when you're in the Equip menu, though I think it also happened at some other points, but they happened too fast.

Another thing occurs when buying items. After you select which character will hold the item, the merchant's dialogue won't refer to them, but instead to the one that comes before them in the name list (or loop back to the last one in the case of the first character).

This one I'm not sure if I should consider it, since I haven't played the vanilla ROM all the way to the end, but the NPC (below a ceiling tile) blocking the east side of Midenhall during the epilogue only displays an empty text box when spoken to.

Besides that, other details I was curious about turn out to be in the original as well, such as text during events auto-finishing after a few seconds, using the same character name both for opening a chest and putting it in an inventory, and using the hero's name for messages such as running away even if he's dead.

Once again thanks for the hard work, as someone who is interested in the new localizations, but can't afford them.

Vector 67

• View Profile
I wish someone would fix that horrendously bugged DQ I&II for SFC instead of tinkering with nes versions
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 01:04:33 pm by Vector 67 »

Choppasmith

• View Profile
I wish someone would fix that horrendously bugged DQ I&II for SFC instead of tinkering with nes versions

Me too :(

October 02, 2020, 11:51:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I finished my own playthrough of this hack last night. So far, I really liked the efforts of this project, both for DQ1 and DQ2.

I've noticed this thread accepts feedback for fixes, and there were a few odd things I noticed. This was the first time I finished the NES version, but I played a little bit of the regular US release to check and compare, so I can report issues unique to the hack.

First, the command window seems to try to shorten back to its original size, which also causes some words to get cut, such as "Spells" and "Items" going back into singular, and "Command" erasing one of its Ms. This is most noticeable when you're in the Equip menu, though I think it also happened at some other points, but they happened too fast.

Another thing occurs when buying items. After you select which character will hold the item, the merchant's dialogue won't refer to them, but instead to the one that comes before them in the name list (or loop back to the last one in the case of the first character).

This one I'm not sure if I should consider it, since I haven't played the vanilla ROM all the way to the end, but the NPC (below a ceiling tile) blocking the east side of Midenhall during the epilogue only displays an empty text box when spoken to.

Besides that, other details I was curious about turn out to be in the original as well, such as text during events auto-finishing after a few seconds, using the same character name both for opening a chest and putting it in an inventory, and using the hero's name for messages such as running away even if he's dead.

Once again thanks for the hard work, as someone who is interested in the new localizations, but can't afford them.

Oof, sorry for the late reply, didn't get the notification. I'll look into it. Thanks for the report :) Still about half way through corroborating DW3 text.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:02:33 am by Choppasmith »

Seb

• View Profile
Not sure if this is worth a report, but I wanted to check if some lines of dialogue are really the way they are in the modern script or just oversights. Mostly to avoid confusion for first-time players.

First is when the Dragonlord's descendant tells you about the 5 Sigils and the location of the lighthouse. The way he phrases his last sentence makes it sound as if this is where you must go to get the Eye of Rubiss, rather than a suggestion of where to go first to start searching for the Sigils.

The other is just a minor nitpick, I admit. A woman in Zahan refers to the Moonshard as the Moon Fragment. I don't think there were other items that were still called by their old names in dialogue.

HARVEST

• View Profile
I hope you can do optional patches to replace the title screens with the original Japanese ones.
I'm also really looking forward to the Super Famicom RE-Quest patches so that the mobile versions can truly be replaced since they have worse graphics and the mini-boardgame in III was cut out in the mobile version.

Waterfaller

• View Profile
I shall wait patiently for the DQIII SFC remake 💙

HARVEST

• View Profile
Will there be Project RE-Quest patches for the NES version of Dragon Quest IV and the SFC versions of Dragon Quest V and VI?
How about Dragon Quest IV and VII on PS1 and Dragon Quest V on PS2?

Maybe we can even have DQ4 DS but with Party Chat restored from the mobile version.

P.S: Maybe we can also have a graphics patch for DQ1&2 on SFC that upgrades the graphics to the mobile graphics (albeit not poorly scaled and glitchy like the actual mobile port) that are more in line with DQ3 SFC and DQ6 SFC.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 08:40:32 am by HARVEST »

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
Maybe we can also have a graphics patch for DQ1&2 on SFC that upgrades the graphics to the mobile graphics (albeit not poorly scaled and glitchy like the actual mobile port) that are more in line with DQ3 SFC and DQ6 SFC.

I have both the mobile and Switch versions of DQ1-3. Same graphics between both versions, but I seem to recall the Switch being less stretched than on mobile. That, and no more touch controls, which I can't stand.