News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project "RE-Quest": Script Ports Updating “Dragon Warrior” UP: First DW2 Beta!  (Read 17240 times)

laserlambert

• View Profile
Okay, one last upload before an official release if you guys want to try it really quick. If there are no issues I'll formally submit it on the weekend.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/od33axfsgnre3sf/DW1_RE-Quest_v1.3.xdelta/file

Tried it, doesn't seem to work in the middle of the string, only at the beginning of a string.
Is there a problem with the link? It says "Upload still in progress..." and has for a while, and for presumably a small file...

abw

• View Profile
Tried it, doesn't seem to work in the middle of the string, only at the beginning of a string.
Hmm, it looks like the speech beep and auto-indentation are both triggered by setting $650A, and $650A gets set by 0x50 (left single quote) and 0x57 (an alternate space tile, not the 0x5F normally used as a space). It looks like the only code for resetting $650A happens when the game is getting ready to start reading script data, so once $650A gets set, there's no way to reset it to turn the speech beep and auto-indentation back off.

No way, that is, except for... ROM hacking :P.

Try this out for size, assuming you have $18 free bytes available at 0x7F20 (if not, find a home for it elsewhere and update the JMP target):
Code: [Select]
0x7695: 4C 10 BF EA
a.k.a.
JMP $BF10
NOP

0x7F20: C9 EE F0 06 C9 EF F0 0D D0 08 A2 00 8E 0A 65 4C 79 B6 4C 89 B6 4C FE B6
a.k.a.
CMP #$EE
BEQ +#$06
CMP #$EF
BEQ +#0D
BNE +#$08
LDX #$00
STX $650A
JMP $B679
JMP $B689
JMP $B6FE
That should left you use 0xEE in your script to turn off the speech beep and auto-indentation until the next time it gets turned back on by a 0x50 or 0x57.

Is there a problem with the link? It says "Upload still in progress..." and has for a while, and for presumably a small file...
Yeah, I get the same page too.

Choppasmith

• View Profile

I think something happened during the upload because I replaced what was there before. Link is fixed and should work now.

Hmm, it looks like the speech beep and auto-indentation are both triggered by setting $650A, and $650A gets set by 0x50 (left single quote) and 0x57 (an alternate space tile, not the 0x5F normally used as a space). It looks like the only code for resetting $650A happens when the game is getting ready to start reading script data, so once $650A gets set, there's no way to reset it to turn the speech beep and auto-indentation back off.

No way, that is, except for... ROM hacking :P.

Try this out for size, assuming you have $18 free bytes available at 0x7F20 (if not, find a home for it elsewhere and update the JMP target):
0x7695: 4C 10 BF EA
a.k.a.
JMP $BF10
NOP

0x7F20: C9 EE F0 06 C9 EF F0 0D D0 08 A2 00 8E 0A 65 4C 79 B6 4C 89 B6 4C FE B6
a.k.a.
CMP #$EE
BEQ +#$06
CMP #$EF
BEQ +#0D
BNE +#$08
LDX #$00
STX $650A
JMP $B679
JMP $B689
JMP $B6FE
That should left you use 0xEE in your script to turn off the speech beep and auto-indentation until the next time it gets turned back on by a 0x50 or 0x57.
Yeah, I get the same page too.

Oh wow, I’ll try this out. Thanks!

laserlambert

• View Profile
Found a typo, checked it in the android version to confirm
one guard in kol says: 'Yonder housewife goeth by the name of Clare. Her husband depart in search of magic keys, and hath yet to return.'

It should say "Yonder housewife goeth by the name of Clare. Her husband did depart in search of magic keys, and hath yet to return."

also I noticed this time that when you use the princess' pledge item that the "press (A) twice to clear the last text off the screen" problem from twice earlier now is affecting the last line of that text box. not a big deal, but thought you ought to know.

one more text break to consider adding.
Spoiler:
Guard in Kings room, when you say no about princess
   Princess Gwaelin is
   the sole heir of His
   Majesty the King.

Since the untimely
   death of Her Majesty
   the Queen, Gwaelin
   hath been our beloved
   ruler's sole source
   of comfort.

Alas, a half-year
   prior to this day,
   foul monsters saw fit
   to tear the Princess
   from the bosom of we,
   her people!

His Majesty speaketh XXXXXX
   not of the tragedy, XXXXXX
   but 'tis plain the XXXXXX
   loss doth pain him
   deeply...       ______

'Brave [Hero], I beg
   of thee! Deliver the
   Princess from her
   plight!'

also if that trick works for unindenting text for the end sequence there is also a bit when you give the artefacts to the sage, the line: "[Hero Name] presents the priest with the Staff of Rain and the Sunstone." should get the same treatment.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Hey thanks abw. The new code works like a charm, I just have to sandwich it between the pause (@) and new line (&) and it works great!  :thumbsup:

@laserlambert: Thanks for the typo correction! Considering I still found myself with plenty of room in that part of the ROM, I ended up adding a line I omitted. It's a weird case of adapting a line from the remake into the original, it's said by a woman in the remake and a solider in the original. I wanted to be somewhat cautious with space. That, and with the way my script rip displays strings, it's sometimes easy to miss another line of dialog.

I ended up fixing a lot of Gwaelin's dialog, both with the Pledge item and adding the break you suggested. When checking, I actually found I had scrambled up the whole conversation when you take her to the king!

Before: {Brave [ME]-sensing mine anguish, thou didst deliver my beloved daughter from her plight, and return her safely unto me.@&I shall not forget this great gift, nor shall I forget the man who gave it.}

This is the line the King says AFTER you give Gwaelin back and just before you save.

Should be (and is now): {Brave [ME]_.&Thou hast delivered mine only child from evil! Words cannot express my gratitude!}

I also didn't take into account the string for when you're inventory is full, so again, it's a little scrambled

Before: {Though we be far apart, ever shall I be at thy side!}

Gwaelin is supposed to say this AFTER she gives you the item. I had stuck this line: "Pray accept this modest symbol of mine affection, humble though it may be!" in the spot where you only see it if you're inventory is full.

Haven't tested it yet but if you're inventory is full, she should NOW say:

{But what is this?@Thou art encumbered, and can carry no more! Nay, not even a gift so humble as this!}@&{Please give me thy [INV].}

In the remake Gwaelin allows you to empty your inventory yourself but in the original she just replaces a random item in your inventory, so the dialog is adapted as such (the last bit is pretty much the original line)

Much like Dragonlord's dialog, I shifted the text around a bit at the end so  "@{Now, brave [ME], go forth upon thy quest!}&" is now attached to the "{Though we be far apart, ever shall I be at thy side!}" line above. And now the line is the King talking again:

{Brave [ME]-sensing mine anguish, thou didst deliver my beloved daughter from her plight, and return her safely unto me.@&I shall not forget this great gift, nor shall I forget the man who gave it.}@&{But to business_.}@&

Yep that last little bit is new. It then goes into the default save dialog.

I also found and fixed some incorrect breaking during some shop dialogs (Holy Water and Magic Keys mainly that required an extra button push) Oh and funny story, speaking of little fixes. I've been watching High Score Girl on Netflix. At the end of episode 11, the main character Haruo just mentions Dragon Quest, saying, "You know when you rescue the princess and take her to an inn the innkeeper says 'So I assume you slept well, right?'" Something like that. This prompted me to check because I don't think I ever anticipated different dialog. I SAW two different Inn related strings (both the original and the rip), but never knew what they were for. I actually had it right. The mobile version just seems to add an extra break between the two sentences which I added.

New patch up for testing:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/pxfl14adx926yoh/DW1_RE-Quest_v1.3b.xdelta/file
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:46:18 am by Choppasmith »

laserlambert

• View Profile
I think I have gone back over everything that you've fixed, I checked at other key areas as well to double check, then checked all the NPC dialogue I could.
I noticed one NPC who has an out of place apostrophe at the beginning of his dialogue. He speaks in a bunch of contractions that need apostrophes which is probably why it didn't stand out before. a guard in cantlin who says

" ' the claws of the
Dragonlord rendeth
steel as if 'twere
parchment, while his
breath melteth stone
as if 'twere ice.

and so on and so forth. but that first apostrophe in front of 'the' doesn't need to be there, checked the android version to be sure.

also "But alas, it was not to be..." is now unindented but the next line
"my thanks, Majesty," said [HERO]
the "said [HERO]" part remains indented and still beeps. don't know if that one can be changed since it doesn't come right after a pause, or even if it needs to be fixed.

and those are the only nits I can find left to pick.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
I think I have gone back over everything that you've fixed, I checked at other key areas as well to double check, then checked all the NPC dialogue I could.
I noticed one NPC who has an out of place apostrophe at the beginning of his dialogue. He speaks in a bunch of contractions that need apostrophes which is probably why it didn't stand out before. a guard in cantlin who says

" ' the claws of the
Dragonlord rendeth
steel as if 'twere
parchment, while his
breath melteth stone
as if 'twere ice.

and so on and so forth. but that first apostrophe in front of 'the' doesn't need to be there, checked the android version to be sure.

also "But alas, it was not to be..." is now unindented but the next line
"my thanks, Majesty," said [HERO]
the "said [HERO]" part remains indented and still beeps. don't know if that one can be changed since it doesn't come right after a pause, or even if it needs to be fixed.

and those are the only nits I can find left to pick.

I must've made the same assumption about that extra apostrophe because I just checked and yep, that was a typo.

With the line in the ending, I initially thought the same as you. I don't think it NEEDED fixing. I formatted it the same as the original, which I don't think was silent in the "Said (Hero)" part.

I also thought it would look messy to implement like this

But, in my eagerness to please, I had another go at it, and I got it

Thanks again.

laserlambert

• View Profile
Played some more. Died. found the king's response to your death could use a break before he tells you your experience needed:
Spoiler:
   'I pray most fervently XXXXX
   that thou wilt not    XXXXX
   require such aid of   XXXXX
   me again in future!'  XXXXX
                      ________
   'Earn another [number]
   points of experience,
   and thou shalt attain
   a new level.'

'Now, go, [Hero]!'

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Played some more. Died. found the king's response to your death could use a break before he tells you your experience needed:
Spoiler:
   'I pray most fervently XXXXX
   that thou wilt not    XXXXX
   require such aid of   XXXXX
   me again in future!'  XXXXX
                      ________
   'Earn another [number]
   points of experience,
   and thou shalt attain
   a new level.'

'Now, go, [Hero]!'

Ha! Just my luck. I just submitted the next update to RHDN. I submitted it with the comment "Should be the last update for a while" Sorry Admins, guess I lied XD

It's another Pause/new line mixup. This time I did a THOROUGH search for strings ending with New Line (&) and compared it to the original script dump. Actually found a couple of lines that needed changing anyway. The shop's line for selling items, originally "What art thou selling?" now has the remake line "And what, pray, wilt thou sell me?"  Also changed the original Rainbow Drop usage line "(Hero) held the Rainbow Drop toward the sky." to "(Hero) holds the Rainbow Drop aloft..." I'm keeping the original line for using the Rainbow Drop in the wrong spot ("But no rainbow appeared here.") as the mobile script just has a shared "But that can't be used here" line.

laserlambert

• View Profile
Hey sorry to come back with another thing from the first game, I'm sure you'd rather be done with it.
But there is a new issue, that I think is new to this update. The mage behind the counter in the castle speaks with a " to begin, but his quote now ends with a " facing the wrong direction, and then his next line begins with a " when it should not have one.

Also I went and checked if anyone else has any problem with their quotes, and I found a minor problem with two characters who use the same line 'May the light of the heavens shine upon thee... and it ends at the ellipses without a closing quote, I don't know for sure if there is another character who uses this line where a close quote wouldn't be proper, but for these two it should be there.

I guess the way the game uses quote marks is generally pretty confusing.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Hey sorry to come back with another thing from the first game, I'm sure you'd rather be done with it.
But there is a new issue, that I think is new to this update. The mage behind the counter in the castle speaks with a " to begin, but his quote now ends with a " facing the wrong direction, and then his next line begins with a " when it should not have one.

Also I went and checked if anyone else has any problem with their quotes, and I found a minor problem with two characters who use the same line 'May the light of the heavens shine upon thee... and it ends at the ellipses without a closing quote, I don't know for sure if there is another character who uses this line where a close quote wouldn't be proper, but for these two it should be there.

I guess the way the game uses quote marks is generally pretty confusing.

I was going to wait until I made sure nothing else came up, but I'll throw a quick fix for that when when I can.

In the meantime, yes, I've been working on DW2. If you've been reading my posts in the Romhacking Discussion forum you'll know it took a lot of tweaking to make sure the new script would work. I had to redo the dictionary DW2 uses for compression over and over and OVER again to get things to fit, and FINALLY got it! I also have a bunch of time freed up for me recently. Also thanks to abw on the more technical side of things.

I now have a rough beta out for those interested in testing! Just the script, monster names, and item names are changed right now. I'll put up some screens in the OP when I can.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tfh668w56h02d9p/DW21b.xdelta/file

laserlambert

• View Profile
Awesome! excited to play through 2 and give feedback.
I just played a little through the first area, and wanted to note what I found. I'll do a more thorough play-through soon to be sure.

You probably know this, but the & symbol replaces what should probably be the * symbol

There are a couple instances of text being odd like this.

Obviously spell names aren't on the list of changes made yet, but there is an odd feature with the spell learned text saying odd words instead of the real spell name learned.

A couple of text breaks needed. first for the woman behind the door in the castle It looks like the close quote after "terrible.'" should be the end of a paragraph and I'm not sure if the ' in front of Nor is because it's a contraction or if it's the start of a new quote.

And the guy at the holy water cave should probably have a break after "protection!'"

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Awesome! excited to play through 2 and give feedback.
I just played a little through the first area, and wanted to note what I found. I'll do a more thorough play-through soon to be sure.

You probably know this, but the & symbol replaces what should probably be the * symbol

There are a couple instances of text being odd like this.

Obviously spell names aren't on the list of changes made yet, but there is an odd feature with the spell learned text saying odd words instead of the real spell name learned.

A couple of text breaks needed. first for the woman behind the door in the castle It looks like the close quote after "terrible.'" should be the end of a paragraph and I'm not sure if the ' in front of Nor is because it's a contraction or if it's the start of a new quote.

And the guy at the holy water cave should probably have a break after "protection!'"

You're fast, dude, wow! <3

Yeah the ampersand is temporary. For some reason there's no asterisk in the DW2 font. The plan is to copy the asterisk from the DW1 font over and replace the ampersand when I'm ready to release.

And I'll check those problems should be easy to fix. The messed up text I can see right away is a dictionary problem around where I have "igh". I figure unlike DW1, I'm almost certain the main window is bigger so there shouldn't be as much of a need to add any breaks, I've already found and corrected some lines where I simply forgot to add [wait][line] at the end.

The spell bit is interesting. Like DW1, I figured I'd try to see if I could bring up the Spell learned when leveling up the same way when casting. In DW1, it just brings up the last stat value, seeing that it brings up a monster name is interesting.

Also, speaking of which, I still need to edit the plural rules for monsters, so expect some of the monster names in battle to not be quite right when used in groups.

laserlambert

• View Profile
Ok so as far as text goes you are right, it all looks great except for the lines with missing breaks, there was one character in Slewse who had three missing breaks.

There are a few characters with problems in the town of Dirkandor the two women next to the king have glitched text (even talking to the one on the right will just lock the game) not only them but the old man behind the counter and the guard near the entrance have glitched text too. And the King himself will repeat the text 'Now, go forth to such great things as thou art undoubtedly destined!' twice in a row.

there was another igh bug in Tantegel with the curse curer, the game saver in the church says "Well met scion of Erdrick" twice in his text once at the beginning and once after he listed experience to the next level, and the guard in the throne room of Tantegel has glitched text.

The game saver in moonaham addressed not prince 1 but prince 2 in his text saying "Fare thee well, brave ____!" (even though he was dead when I spoke to him) and when I got the Star Sigil, It said Gremlin obtains the Star Sigil! I guess because I just fought some gremlins to get it.

When you miss an attack in battle, it says "Miss! (Enemy) was wounded." Also in battle when you hit an enemy but deal no damage it says nothing at all (not sure if that was the way it was by default)

When you use a key on the right door there is a blank text box, I'm not sure if it is supposed to say something.

The healers say "Can the Goddess aid thee in some other wise this day" seems like wise should be way.

The game saver in Beran had slightly glitched text when I first spoke to him, and I have a screenshot of it, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. and there is an old man in Beran who says a statement that ends in an exclamation point, but then a yes/no prompt appears and when you pick one, nothing happens.

Some names seem to get cut off, Windbreaker is titled Windbraker in the game, maybe that was intentional but I can only find it as Windbreaker. Terrordactyl gets the l cut off of the end (which consequently makes it's plural name Terrordacties) which is weird since for example Orc Chieftain is a longer name but I guess because it's two words it gets different treatment, Magic Marionette gets the e cut off from the end, oddly Liquid Metal Slime becomes Liquid Meta Slime, losing the l in metal, there could be more monster names like these that I didn't notice.

When I found the Soul Sigil in the treasure chest, it was still called the Life Crest.

laserlambert

• View Profile
So I finally finished the game once through (the wait for Dragon Quest Builders 2 got me anxious for more DQ2) and I kept an eye out for what I could find.

found some indenting problems with the ending text from the king, as well as another "sighe" text garble that you probably already fixed.

Found that Bosses like Hargon, Malroth, Atlas and so forth still have "one" in front of their name despite being proper nouns

This one is a little silly sure, but in the chance that "Hocus Pocus" here known still as Chance casts a confusion spell (which is the only way the player can cast a confusion spell in DQ2) it says "The enemies was confused!"

The Dragon Potion, is called the rebirth stone in here, which was a little confusing, I had forgotten that the Dragon Potion even existed and when I got it by chance I don't know what happened but the name confused my, not sure if it was an intentional rename or if this was even just a bug, I don't know.

for some reason when I attacked a killing machine and inflicted no damage it did a different response than other monsters where it would just say "(character) attacks!" and then say nothing, it instead says "Killing Machine takes" with no number afterward. (the sprite is normal it was just flashing from the attack)

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Hey, man thanks for your work, and yeah I want to get this done before DQB2 comes out. Things are looking up. I took a little break to play DQXI (finally have a PC that can handle the game ). Fun fact, the Puff Puff girl in Gondolia says the same thing as the girl in DW2 word for word with the mobile translation, I think I only noticed it because of my work in this. Also I’m just about to clear that big hurdle that is the monster plural code. A lot of stuff was fixed since the beta you’ve been trying, but I’ll go over it again.

found some indenting problems with the ending text from the king, as well as another "sighe" text garble that you probably already fixed.

Yeah should be fixed already.

Found that Bosses like Hargon, Malroth, Atlas and so forth still have "one" in front of their name despite being proper nouns

Was this a problem in the original as well? I can’t imagine how the new script would change this. I wonder if it’s possible to add an exception for those three bosses (but then that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world)

This one is a little silly sure, but in the chance that "Hocus Pocus" here known still as Chance casts a confusion spell (which is the only way the player can cast a confusion spell in DQ2) it says "The enemies was confused!"

Yeah, the game is weird and has “enemies” in the monster list and is used for plural so that they can share the same lines. The original was something like ‘Thou has defeated the (monster).” so you could do “Thou has defeated the slime” and then reuse it when you win the battle “Thou has defeated the enemies”

I fixed this by changing enemies to enemy since the latter works as a plural.

The Dragon Potion, is called the rebirth stone in here, which was a little confusing, I had forgotten that the Dragon Potion even existed and when I got it by chance I don't know what happened but the name confused my, not sure if it was an intentional rename or if this was even just a bug, I don't know.
This was an interesting discovery. But yes, it’s seemingly dummied out in the mobile version. Has a description and everything. At least, I don’t know of anyone who’s been able to get it in-game.

for some reason when I attacked a killing machine and inflicted no damage it did a different response than other monsters where it would just say "(character) attacks!" and then say nothing, it instead says "Killing Machine takes" with no number afterward. (the sprite is normal it was just flashing from the attack)

Yeah, this is a really odd glitch but it’ll hopefully be squashed. In DW1 there was a special byte I took advantage that would add or omit an “s” based on the number value so you could have 1 point or 10 points of damage and 1 coin or 100 coins of gold. DW2 has this special s as well, but it’s seemingly broken. Doing what it does when the value is 1. Thanks to abw we’ve got a solution to fix it.

The healers say "Can the Goddess aid thee in some other wise this day" seems like wise should be way.

You know I checked this out, and yeah, that’s the line all right. I’m... stumped. Not sure if typo or part of that fancy Olde English script. Also, yeah, it’s Windbraker. I think the idea is a play on “brake” considering its usage.

abw

• View Profile

Was this a problem in the original as well? I can’t imagine how the new script would change this. I wonder if it’s possible to add an exception for those three bosses (but then that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world)
Yes, this is present in the original. The original behaviour is not exactly wrong, but if you wanted to remove the monster count text for unique bosses, probably the easiest way would be to go to the code for printing "One"/"Two"/"Three"/etc. and add some code to not print the cardinal number if the group's monster ID is >= #$4E. Maybe something like this:
$02:$BEF0:
LDA $0161 ; monster ID for the current group
CMP #$4E ; bosses have IDs >= #$4E (so does the "Enemies" monster, but that's not a monster ID you can encounter)
BCS no_cardinal
... original code goes here; you'll need to move the text down into the adjacent empty space and update its pointer
no_cardinal:
LDA #$FA ; [end-FA]; the game will handle trimming the empty space from the
STA $60F1
SEC ; not strictly necessary since we got here by BCS and nothing has changed C
RTS

Yeah, the game is weird and has “enemies” in the monster list and is used for plural so that they can share the same lines. The original was something like ‘Thou has defeated the (monster).” so you could do “Thou has defeated the slime” and then reuse it when you win the battle “Thou has defeated the enemies”
That one's actually a hardcoded error in the original (string #$0016: "The enemies was confused.[end-FC]"), and it appears to only be used in this case, so you can use whatever new text you want here.

Yeah, this is a really odd glitch but it’ll hopefully be squashed. In DW1 there was a special byte I took advantage that would add or omit an “s” based on the number value so you could have 1 point or 10 points of damage and 1 coin or 100 coins of gold. DW2 has this special s as well, but it’s seemingly broken. Doing what it does when the value is 1. Thanks to abw we’ve got a solution to fix it.
Yup, that control code has a bug in the original game; the bug was undetectable there since the original game only used that control code for quantities of gold and it's impossible to do anything involving only 1 piece of gold.

You know I checked this out, and yeah, that’s the line all right. I’m... stumped. Not sure if typo or part of that fancy Olde English script.
You'll need a good dictionary if you want to look up archaic uses like this (or a lot of exposure to middle or early modern English to pick it up by osmosis), but here's one online reference: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/wise#h70331686796780

Some names seem to get cut off, Windbreaker is titled Windbraker in the game, maybe that was intentional but I can only find it as Windbreaker. Terrordactyl gets the l cut off of the end (which consequently makes it's plural name Terrordacties) which is weird since for example Orc Chieftain is a longer name but I guess because it's two words it gets different treatment, Magic Marionette gets the e cut off from the end, oddly Liquid Metal Slime becomes Liquid Meta Slime, losing the l in metal, there could be more monster names like these that I didn't notice.

I know Choppasmith has been working on monster name lengths in the other thread, but if it hasn't been done already, one option here is edit the monster list menus (#$05 and #$0A) to change the second line's indent to 1 space instead of 2, which would let e.g. "Marionette" fit. "Terrordactyl" would either have to be split into two lines (not great since that will result in e.g. "One Terror dactyl appeared.") or those menus can be widened by 2 tiles (which will also let "Marionette" fit).

laserlambert

• View Profile
The "Windbraker" part I eventually found out, It was Windbreaker in whatever fan wiki I was using for reference and I googled around for another source and could only find it misspelled that way, I should have just played the mobile version myself and found it as I eventually did. obviously it makes sense as putting on brakes in the wind.

As for the line "some other wise": you learn something new every day! https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wise#Etymology_2

And yep looks like One Hargon was in the original, reminding me I mostly played the GBC versions back in the day. It'd be neat if Malroth, Hargon, Atlas, Pazuzu, and Belial had exceptions as they are the only bosses in the game, but obviously you don't need to bend over backwards for this.

91-MPH

• View Profile
do u think u can make patches that can change the names Dragon Quest back to Dragon Warrior for I, II and possibly later releases (just as options for the player).
My reason for bringing this up is for historical accuracy, because someone else hold the name Dragon Quest back then, and his license to the name didn't run out until the mid 2000, this prompting Dragon Quest VIII to keep it's original title.

Choppasmith

• View Profile

Yes, this is present in the original. The original behaviour is not exactly wrong, but if you wanted to remove the monster count text for unique bosses, probably the easiest way would be to go to the code for printing "One"/"Two"/"Three"/etc. and add some code to not print the cardinal number if the group's monster ID is >= #$4E. Maybe something like this:
$02:$BEF0:
LDA $0161 ; monster ID for the current group
CMP #$4E ; bosses have IDs >= #$4E (so does the "Enemies" monster, but that's not a monster ID you can encounter)
BCS no_cardinal
... original code goes here; you'll need to move the text down into the adjacent empty space and update its pointer
no_cardinal:
LDA #$FA ; [end-FA]; the game will handle trimming the empty space from the
STA $60F1
SEC ; not strictly necessary since we got here by BCS and nothing has changed C
RTS

That one's actually a hardcoded error in the original (string #$0016: "The enemies was confused.[end-FC]"), and it appears to only be used in this case, so you can use whatever new text you want here.

Yup, that control code has a bug in the original game; the bug was undetectable there since the original game only used that control code for quantities of gold and it's impossible to do anything involving only 1 piece of gold.
You know I checked this out, and yeah, that’s the line all right. I’m... stumped. Not sure if typo or part of that fancy Olde English script.

You'll need a good dictionary if you want to look up archaic uses like this (or a lot of exposure to middle or early modern English to pick it up by osmosis), but here's one online reference: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/wise#h70331686796780
I know Choppasmith has been working on monster name lengths in the other thread, but if it hasn't been done already, one option here is edit the monster list menus (#$05 and #$0A) to change the second line's indent to 1 space instead of 2, which would let e.g. "Marionette" fit. "Terrordactyl" would either have to be split into two lines (not great since that will result in e.g. "One Terror dactyl appeared.") or those menus can be widened by 2 tiles (which will also let "Marionette" fit).
Yeah I’ve already done menu work to increase the space for Battle menus so I have room for ATTACK and DEFEND. Should be just a matter of fixing the length.

The "Windbraker" part I eventually found out, It was Windbreaker in whatever fan wiki I was using for reference and I googled around for another source and could only find it misspelled that way, I should have just played the mobile version myself and found it as I eventually did. obviously it makes sense as putting on brakes in the wind.

As for the line "some other wise": you learn something new every day! https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wise#Etymology_2

And yep looks like One Hargon was in the original, reminding me I mostly played the GBC versions back in the day. It'd be neat if Malroth, Hargon, Atlas, Pazuzu, and Belial had exceptions as they are the only bosses in the game, but obviously you don't need to bend over backwards for this.

Man, I’m going 0-2 on missing the simple stuff XD. My initial thought was “I’ll have to see if I can find something on old usage. Maybe a medieval etymology site or something...” Sometimes the simple solution is best.

do u think u can make patches that can change the names Dragon Quest back to Dragon Warrior for I, II and possibly later releases (just as options for the player).
My reason for bringing this up is for historical accuracy, because someone else hold the name Dragon Quest back then, and his license to the name didn't run out until the mid 2000, this prompting Dragon Quest VIII to keep it's original title.

I believe I stated in the news post for the DW1 release that I see these hacks as a sort of alternate universe where it was localized as DQ, like it is now, right from the start. I even want to take Chicken Knife’s decensored efforts and put my own spin on it by making the crosses tridents just for extra authenticity.

I know people are nostalgic for the old terms, but I”m all in on getting these done for all 3 versions of the trilogy first and I have little free time as it is. If I get more people who want a hack like that, sure.