News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Warrior 1, 2 & 3 Hacking Discussion  (Read 153405 times)

erinnk

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Warrior 1, 2 & 3 Hacking Discussion
« Reply #320 on: September 08, 2020, 05:12:49 pm »
I'm continuing to have an extremely hard time grasping the structure of the map drawing, even with the DQ2 disassembly. It's hard for me to even know how to ask for specific help on this, but here's a list of questions that I hope will help clarify.

I'll attempt to reach out to you to help however I can.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2020, 09:59:16 pm »
@abw

The Rapid Fire Answer Round was very helpful, thank you!

But the real reason I'm writing at this moment is that I simply can't hold back my happiness with your map visualizer software. It's brilliantly intuitive, and the power of being able to step through the bit based code and watch the map build is filling me with absolute joy. I actually see the light at the end of the tunnel now because of this thing. You, sir, have saved the day--yet again. I feel pretty confident that after playing around with this enough, I'll be able to bend the map drawing to my will and determine if there actually is a way to increase efficiency and add the crosses. I'm still a bit skeptical on that point because I know that your DQ2 map work resulted in either lesser or equal overall detail. But I will give this my all because the alternative is rather frightening.

Regarding the other DQ3 map builder software, I had the same experience as you. Weird error message and crash. I doubt I would find even a fraction of the value there that I find in your piece of work regardless.

And one question: the tile ID's. Am I correct to assume that these 5 bit tile ID numbers match up to a separate attribute table that stores tiles selected for each specific background? Therefore, if I needed to swap out an available tile, I would just do so in the attribute table (which would probably incorporate a way to target a much wider range of addresses?

Oh, btw, you really should publish this map visualizer at some point. People would value this.

I'll attempt to reach out to you to help however I can.
Thank you so much for dropping in! You have already been a huge help to me, particularly with me actually gaining a grasp of a lot of the ins and outs of 6502. For those that don't know erinnk, she has some incredible history with past DQ related projects, various other feats of technical wizardry and is an all around wonderful person to boot. Welcome!

September 09, 2020, 10:22:12 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
@abw,

Also: I'm studying efficiency right now. But if I find an opportunity to rewrite some of this, I wanted to ask your advice about the best way for me to rewrite this in bit. I really haven't had to do that yet, and I'm kind of scratching my head thinking about it. I don't think I can just insert this in bit form via a hex editor. Maybe online there are some tools I can find where I can expand the byte sequence into a bit sequence and then compress it back into a byte sequence when I'm finished editing?

**NOTE erinnk already helped me find a tool for converting strings from bit to byte / byte to bit.

And also: looking at the DQ3 map options, am I right to assume that the Lanceal and Dharma temple maps already have their data saved here, and I just have to figure out which map ID they are saved under and note that?

And... if I may be so bold, the one thing jumping out to me that I'd fix with the visualizer is this: when I use the "Do next step" option, and it pastes the next command on the bottom of the screen, would it be possible to have the application auto scroll down to the new command that pasted? I end up constantly moving my mouse up and down between hitting the button and then scrolling down on the list of operations so I can see what executed. This is a really small issue but I just wanted to bring it up. I should really be shot for complaining about software that you designed for your own private use and were generous enough to share with me. :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:23:03 pm by Chicken Knife »

erinnk

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2020, 10:12:53 pm »
You're so nice. Happy to do whatever I can 😊

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2020, 05:05:22 am »
@abw

After studying the bit efficiency of the Necogrond Shrine Map Data, I don't see an opportunity to optimize it. Furthermore, I'm calculating that I would need space for 39 extra bits to draw the white cross. You could also take a look if you haven't already, but I'll be shocked if you come up with something vastly different. That brings us back to square one. My suspicion is that we need to explore shifting some of data to another ROM bank, making the necessary adjustments required to read it there. For instance, the ROM bank starting at $74010 seems totally empty. If we needed to copy over large sections of code and data, that would seem to be the place for it. Or better yet, what about copying over the entire Japanese ROM bank starting at $18010 and just updating the pointers that call to the map drawing routines?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 05:54:36 am by Chicken Knife »

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 12, 2020, 11:38:49 pm »
I simply can't hold back my happiness with your map visualizer software. It's brilliantly intuitive, and the power of being able to step through the bit based code and watch the map build is filling me with absolute joy.
It is rather fascinating to watch the maps being put together, isn't it? I'm glad you're enjoying it!

And one question: the tile ID's. Am I correct to assume that these 5 bit tile ID numbers match up to a separate attribute table that stores tiles selected for each specific background? Therefore, if I needed to swap out an available tile, I would just do so in the attribute table (which would probably incorporate a way to target a much wider range of addresses?
They'll need to match up with something else, definitely. I didn't go through all of the code related to maps, but the tiles are 16x16px, so the tile ID values will have to map to a set of 4 nametable values for the individual 8x8px PPU tiles (this might be implemented as a simple value * 4 with 2 ASLs) and a palette index (this probably involves the map ID somehow since I think water and lava use the same tile ID but with different palettes). Somewhere there will also be data about which tiles can be walked upon etc.

For DW3, keep in mind that not all of the PPU tiles are loaded into VRAM at the same time, so if you want to use a tile that isn't already present, you'll need to figure out what controls which tiles are available and work with or alter that logic.

Also, the size of a tile ID depends on the highest tile ID the map uses; most of them are 5 bits, but if, for example, a map doesn't use any tile ID over 07, it can get away with using 3-bit tile IDs.

Oh, btw, you really should publish this map visualizer at some point. People would value this.
Yeah, eventually. It still has a ways to go before it's ready for the limelight, though I did put some more time into it over the past few days and have updated the original link with a newer version. One particular update of note is that the previous version had accidentally sorted the DW3 maps by the ROM address of the start of each map's data instead of by the address of the pointer, so the ID values were all wrong, and I've corrected that in the newer version.

And... if I may be so bold, the one thing jumping out to me that I'd fix with the visualizer is this: when I use the "Do next step" option, and it pastes the next command on the bottom of the screen, would it be possible to have the application auto scroll down to the new command that pasted?
Ha, this was actually working earlier (it's something I wanted too :P), but I inadvertently broke it while making the layout prettier, so I've fixed this in the newer version, and made it optional too.

And also: looking at the DQ3 map options, am I right to assume that the Lanceal and Dharma temple maps already have their data saved here, and I just have to figure out which map ID they are saved under and note that?
Yup, it looks like everything except the 2 world maps are covered, including map #$81, which I feel like I've seen before but haven't been able to locate in-game. It's stored adjacent to the Rimuldar 2F map and visually lines up well with the two inaccessible staircases in the north part of Rimuldar; possibly an unused map?

After studying the bit efficiency of the Necogrond Shrine Map Data, I don't see an opportunity to optimize it.
There is some room for optimization, but finding an extra 39 bits (or 33 since the map data has 6 trailing bits you can use without needing an extra byte) could be tricky. Rectangles can cover large areas at a fixed cost, but the original instructions often prefer drawing long straight lines one tile at a time, and that's often less efficient. For instance, the 3 rows of 5 stars and statues are drawn as lines and cost 27 bits each (including the cost of switching tile IDs), but single 1x5 rectangles would achieve the same effect at a cost of 25 bits each, so there's an extra 3*2=6 bits saved. You can save a few more bits by drawing the walls and then the floor tiles as rectangles instead of drawing the floors first and then tracing around them with wall tiles, but that's still not enough space.

Ideally I'd like to have some sort of map editor where you can draw whatever map you want and then it would automatically generate a minimal set of building instructions, but we're not there yet, alas.

Moving the maps to a different bank is certainly an option, but you'll have to adjust the logic for determining which bank to load to read the map data from. An easier approach for the bank 7 maps (which includes Dhama Temple) would be to use some of the $200+ bytes of apparently free space starting around $07:$BDB8.

Are the DQ3 maps stored in the same format as DW3? I seem to recall DQ2 and DW2 had different ways of storing and building their maps.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 13, 2020, 08:30:52 am »
though I did put some more time into it over the past few days and have updated the original link with a newer version.
Yay! Excited to play around with the new version.

For instance, the 3 rows of 5 stars and statues are drawn as lines and cost 27 bits each (including the cost of switching tile IDs), but single 1x5 rectangles would achieve the same effect at a cost of 25 bits each
This is brilliant. My brain did not conceive rectangles with 1 width or length as a possibility.

Moving the maps to a different bank is certainly an option, but you'll have to adjust the logic for determining which bank to load to read the map data from. An easier approach for the bank 7 maps (which includes Dhama Temple) would be to use some of the $200+ bytes of apparently free space starting around $07:$BDB8.
I've had blinders on looking exclusively at the Necrogond Shrine issue, so it's delightful to now see that there is plenty of space for expansion in the next ROM bank. I have a few things to ask about now.

1. Moving the Dharma map data should just be an update to a pointer in the index, I assume.

2. There should be space there also for Necrogond (and presumably Lanceal), but that involves a bank switch on where they are read--adjusting the logic as you say. In my disassembly efforts so far, I haven't dealt with any bank switching yet. I'd assume that the bank numbers for each set of map data are stored somewhere in an organized manner, no?

3. As far as adjusting the logic, is that limited to adjusting just the bank read data and the map data pointer? Or would there be more to the story?

Are the DQ3 maps stored in the same format as DW3? I seem to recall DQ2 and DW2 had different ways of storing and building their maps.
I haven't determined that, and never thought it would be different. How bizarre of them to change such a thing.

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 27, 2020, 11:50:34 pm »
FYI, I updated the map visualizer link with a new version that includes a few more upgrades, most notably adding the DW3 tilesets so that DW3 maps now display mostly correctly (I didn't bother with palette swaps of the same tileset like Aliahan vs. Tantegel). I also took a peek at DW4 and found that it too uses the same basic map building process as DW2 and DW3, though I haven't loaded anything from DW4 yet, so there's some extra fun to be had there.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 28, 2020, 01:08:34 pm »
Sounds great! I'll be using it again soon. I took a break with the background stuff for a bit to wrap up title screen. I also started another play just to make sure none of the bug fixes created any unintended effects, but ended up committed to another entire play-through for further text improvements. Just came across what appears to be a bug in the original game that's kind of interesting. There's an encounter in Baramos's castle with a Stray Metal (Metal Babble) on the right and a few Hologhost on the left. In only that encounter, for some bizarre reason, the Stray Metal will take normal damage from my Priest (who happens to be in the second party slot). I don't believe anything I did would have caused this. I'll have to do some debugging to figure out why the 0 or 1 damage metal slime routine isn't triggering with only that character in that specific encounter.

As far as backgrounds, when I return to that to wrap things up, I'm guessing it would be easier to just make more space for an expanded Necrogrond Shrine map by taking a map or two around it and making those more space efficient via your 1 square wide blob idea. I'll adjust data locations afterwards, track down the map data pointers, and make the necessary adjustments. It will take a bit of time but with the help of your DQ2 disassembly, I see that all being workable.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:37:18 pm by Chicken Knife »

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 06, 2020, 03:11:05 pm »
Thought I'd crosspost this from my thread, but user Seb has discovered there's an unseen NPC Post Malroth at Midenhall that gives you a blank window. I checked the original and it's there too.

So I did a trace log and looked up the ASM documentation

Code: [Select]
$80B7:F0 0A     BEQ $80C3
A:03 X:18 Y:00 S:FD P:nvUBdIzc   $80B9:20 34 D3  JSR $D334
A:03 X:18 Y:00 S:FB P:nvUBdIzc     $D334:20 5C F7  JSR $F75C
A:03 X:18 Y:00 S:F9 P:nvUBdIzc       $F75C:48        PHA
A:03 X:18 Y:00 S:F8 P:nvUBdIzc        $F75D:A9 00     LDA #$00
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F8 P:nvUBdIZc        $F75F:F0 21     BEQ $F782
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F8 P:nvUBdIZc        $F782:20 D5 C3  JSR $C3D5
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $C3D5:4C BB FF  JMP $FFBB
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFBB:8D F6 05  STA $05F6 = #$06
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFBE:86 43     STX $0043 = #$18
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFC0:78        SEI
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFC1:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$C5
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFC4:4A        LSR
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFC5:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$C5
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFC8:4A        LSR
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFC9:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$C5
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFCC:4A        LSR
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFCD:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$C5
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFD0:4A        LSR
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFD1:8D FF FF  STA $FFFF = #$C5
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFD4:EA        NOP
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFD5:EA        NOP
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F6 P:nvUBdIZc          $FFD6:60        RTS (from $C3D5) ---------------------------
A:00 X:18 Y:00 S:F8 P:nvUBdIZc        $F785:68        PLA
A:03 X:18 Y:00 S:F9 P:nvUBdIzc       $F786:60        RTS (from $F75C) ---------------------------

Am I reading this right that this NPC is trying to read from string ID 148, which without looking, I imagine is probably blank and unused?

October 06, 2020, 03:25:36 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, abw, I THINK this might be a bug with your menu hack

Another thing occurs when buying items. After you select which character will hold the item, the merchant's dialogue won't refer to them, but instead to the one that comes before them in the name list (or loop back to the last one in the case of the first character).

At least I can't see anything wrong with my script that would cause this.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 03:25:37 pm by Choppasmith »

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 07, 2020, 07:31:20 pm »
Thought I'd crosspost this from my thread, but user Seb has discovered there's an unseen NPC Post Malroth at Midenhall that gives you a blank window. I checked the original and it's there too.

Am I reading this right that this NPC is trying to read from string ID 148, which without looking, I imagine is probably blank and unused?
It's an empty string, but clearly not unused :P. I'm guessing the devs stuck an NPC there to block you from reaching the Evil Clown in the basement, but it's basically the same amount of work to add a check for Malroth being dead when generating Midenhall B1 as to add a check for Malroth being dead when generating Midenhall 1F, so I dunno.

Also, abw, I THINK this might be a bug with your menu hack
[...]
At least I can't see anything wrong with my script that would cause this.
Nope. You can easily confirm it by trying just my patch. This is happening because you've added a [name] control code to the item shop string (‘With our most humble compliments, good [name]!’) that wasn't present in the original string (‘I thank thee kindly.’) but didn't update the dialogue code to populate the [name] buffer for that string, so you end up getting whatever string happened to be left over in $6119 from the last time it got used.

This should be an easy change to make, though - basically you just want to take $06:$8438 and move it a couple of lines up to just after $06:$8431 so that it executes regardless of the branch at $06:$8436.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 11, 2020, 10:46:33 pm »
@abw

The thing I've been stuck on with the DQ3 map stuff is regarding the pointers to the map data. Per your DQ2 bank 2 disassembly, there is a nicely organized map header list that includes the relevant pointers to each set of map data. And it's where one would expect it, right at the top of the ROM bank with the map data below.

You'd assume this would be the same with DQ3, but alas, no such luck. It's very possible I'm overlooking something obvious, but I can't find anything like that header list in the relevant DQ3 ROM banks. And I need it in order to move map data around. I've even looked through trace logs where the map data is accessed but the pointing is just not making sense to me.

October 12, 2020, 02:33:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Nevermind, I found them. Top of the second map data bank.

*EDIT

Finished the maps at long last! I was in the middle of working on efficiency improvements, and then I noticed the unused Rimuldar upstairs map that you had labeled in the map viewer. And it just so happened to be in the crowded first bank where I desperately needed space. So after moving around appx 30 maps, voila! Everything is uncensored. And I technically didn't need to learn any of the bitwise map instructions, but I'm glad I did. It was really quite cool.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:33:14 pm by Chicken Knife »

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #331 on: October 12, 2020, 06:34:22 pm »
Is it possible to add this feature?

Dragon Warrior 2 & 3
The player can tell who to buy these weapons, armor, and shield for each character like they did in
Dragon Warrior IV so the player doesn't have to spend all that time to earn more gold by making
a mistake by buying the same thing again and it will not work for one of your party members.
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 13, 2020, 09:47:24 pm »
You'd assume this would be the same with DQ3, but alas, no such luck.
The core map building instruction set appears to be identical between Dragon Warrior II, III, and IV but yes, the supporting code and data do differ a bit between DW2 and the later games. Some of the differences include the exterior tile ID being moved from the map header data to 5 of the 6 bits of data in the third byte of map data that are unused in DW2 (and the exterior background is a pattern, not a solid tile), and the coding for the final wall conversion step is much more convoluted.

So after moving around appx 30 maps, voila! Everything is uncensored. And I technically didn't need to learn any of the bitwise map instructions, but I'm glad I did. It was really quite cool.
Congratulations! If you were able to revert DW3's maps to DQ3's but didn't end up needing to know the actual building instructions, then I'm guessing you actually were able to import the maps from DQ3 successfully, which would mean DQ3 and DW3 do use essentially the same storage system, unlike DQ2 vs. DW2?

The player can tell who to buy these weapons, armor, and shield for each character like they did in
Dragon Warrior IV so the player doesn't have to spend all that time to earn more gold by making
a mistake by buying the same thing again and it will not work for one of your party members.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here - the weapon/armour shop dialogue in both Dragon Warrior II and III already warns you if the character you've selected to carry the item is unable to equip it and then gives you the option of cancelling your purchase, just like it does in Dragon Warrior IV.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 13, 2020, 10:08:40 pm »
Congratulations! If you were able to revert DW3's maps to DQ3's but didn't end up needing to know the actual building instructions, then I'm guessing you actually were able to import the maps from DQ3 successfully, which would mean DQ3 and DW3 do use essentially the same storage system, unlike DQ2 vs. DW2?
Your inference is correct. For all three of the maps I uncensored, yes--I was able to plug in the Japanese map data and it was perfectly compatible.

I'm really glad for the existence of those unused rooms. It took me too long to realize that saving a couple bits here and there via improved efficiency never quite results in shrinking the byte footprint of the map data after you convert it.

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #334 on: October 13, 2020, 11:22:21 pm »
I'm not quite sure what you mean here - the weapon/armor shop dialogue in both Dragon Warrior II and III already warns you if the character you've selected to carry the item is unable to equip it and then gives you the option of cancelling your purchase, just like it does in Dragon Warrior IV.

If there's an E right next to a party member then that person can equip that weapon, armor, shield. If not, then that person cannot equip that weapon, armor, shield.
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 14, 2020, 10:50:30 pm »
Your inference is correct. For all three of the maps I uncensored, yes--I was able to plug in the Japanese map data and it was perfectly compatible.
Nice, that does make life a fair bit easier then. Watching the building process can be a good way of spotting potential areas for improvement, but it's still not the easiest thing in the world to optimize.

In other news, I've updated the visualizer link with a new version that adds in the DW4 maps.

If there's an E right next to a party member then that person can equip that weapon, armor, shield. If not, then that person cannot equip that weapon, armor, shield.
Ah, okay. The DW2 disassembly should be complete enough to make that relatively easy. You'd need to expand the width of the hero selection menu windows and add probably 3 new menu control codes for displaying E or not depending on whether the corresponding hero can equip the selected item. Expanding the menu windows would require understanding the menu format (which is documented in the disassembly and elsewhere) and consuming more ROM space and shifting all the other menus around and updating their pointers, but there is plenty of free space available in that area, so it's not too bad. The routine for determining equipability is also documented in the disassembly, so you'd just need to have your new menu control code handler call that and then add an E or a space to the menu string buffer based on the result.

DW3 would take a lot more work since I don't believe anybody has made any of the required knowledge public, so you'd have to figure out where everything is and how it works first, and I can tell you right now that DW3's menu system is much more complex than DW2's. Given the customizable nature of your party in DW3, you might also want to consider showing which reserve members can equip an item, or which classes can equip an item.

October 18, 2020, 09:57:38 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update: I actually implemented this for DW2 and included it as part of my Menu Upgrades hack. It wasn't too hard, except that DW2's fixed bank is over 99.5% full and I forgot about the weapon shop's version of the hero selection menu being shared with 5 other uses, so I ended up adding new menu data just for the weapon shop instead of code to detect which case the menu was being used for.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:57:38 am by abw »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 20, 2020, 02:37:43 am »
I just saw abw's update on 10/18, and it certainly deserves a bump. Very cool you were able to implement that! Looking over your DQ2 menu upgrade patch, it pains me to not use this by default in our Delocalized version. The reason is because it would set a precedent for displaying entire character names that DQ3 and DQ4 can't follow through with. I think it's important for the player experience to always get a feeling of progression with each iteration of the series.

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 20, 2020, 10:55:40 pm »
Well, it's not that they can't, it would just take a lot of work :P. Your point about progression is certainly valid, though; I think DQ8 on the PS2 was the first official English version to use more than 4 characters when displaying hero names, and that is a loooong way in the future relative to when the NES games were released.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 20, 2020, 11:15:18 pm »
I for one will definitely try to add that DQ2 Menu update, thanks abw. Hopefully I get some time this week.

I like to think of my hacks as an alternate universe where the games were localized like they are now from the get go. When I get to DQ3 SNES, I even want to edit the map with the Switch/mobile edits for extra authenticity (lucky for me, there IS a DQ3/DQ6 map Editor out there, the Japanese DQ hacking scene is really something). At the same time, I don't mind adding QoL fixes especially in the case of DQ2 since fans will tell you it should be the LAST version of DQ2 to play. At the end of the day people just want the modern scripts in the old versions.

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 21, 2020, 09:52:32 pm »
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that, would you? A quick check for various likely-sounding search phrases with Google doesn't turn up anything that looks interesting within the first few pages of results.