News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Crystalis - Sky Tower Exit Hack  (Read 3798 times)

DrDimension

• View Profile
Crystalis - Sky Tower Exit Hack
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:40:12 pm »
So a while back, I suggested in the hack idea megathread that someone create a patch for Crystalis that allowed you to return from the sky tower to earth (and vice versa). I've got a tiny bit of time now, and this seems like a relatively straight-forward hack, so I'm going to make the attempt.

As for what is required, I imagine the following needs to be done -

1) Find the offset for the sky tower map where I want the warp to earth tile to be (http://nesmaps.com/maps/Crystalis/CrystalisMap99.html).
2) Find the offset into the tile data that points the tile to the appropriate warp.
3) Understand the mapping of the tile data of the surrounding tiles so they can be edited to graphically indicate a warp tile.
4) Test that the Crystalis Sword can do damage to enemies on earth (EG, no (or very few) enemies are immune to it).

Again, this should be straight-forward, but we'll see.

If anyone wants to pitch in or make suggestions on any of the above, please feel free!

I'll post updates here.

October 18, 2018, 12:06:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, I found the offset of the tile I want to alter, but tile data in general doesn't seem to embed metadata such as warp destination.

Any suggestions how a game like this might correlate a tile with its warp metadata?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:06:33 am by DrDimension »

Rabite890

• View Profile
Re: Crystalis - Sky Tower Exit Hack
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:16:22 pm »
Good luck on this. I've been upset about this ever since I played it back in 1991 or 1992.

bmmpxf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 04:44:55 am »
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have a lot to add to this that hasn't been said here or anywhere else.  I've actually implemented this as part of the Crystalis Randomizer (https://crystalisrandomizer.com).  It would be possible to backport it into a separate patch, and if anybody was actually interesting in doing so for this or any other features, I'd bbe more than happy to show you around my codebase and point you in the right direction.

As I've implemented it, you actually need to use Teleport or Warp Boots to get out (I didn't add a trigger, though that would also be possible).  It turns out another difficulty is that Draygon 2 will always spawn, even after you've killed him once (but the second time he's impossible because you used up your Bow of Truth already).  So to fix this you need to be able to make sure he doesn't respawn (it's quite possible, but requires moving some spawn conditions around to make space).

Crystalis does indeed do damage outside the tower, and is able to hit everything (immunities work by blacklisting elements, and Crystalis has no element).  But the charged shots only work in Dyna's room - I believe this is because that room fixes the player to only shoot upwards, and they only made sprites (and programming?) for that direction.  I haven't fully investigated this, and would like to make them work everywhere if possible (along with making it possible for Crystalis to break all walls and form bridges), though that's still quite a ways away from being reality.  (This would allow the randomizer to mix Crystalis into a different part of the game, other than the tower, which might be interesting).

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:02:21 pm »
I would just like to pitch in my support for this idea. I'm not averse to doing it myself, but I find myself with limited time of late, so if someone else wants to take up the torch... Your response, no matter how far from the last post, bmmpxf, is definitely appreciated. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 02:52:49 pm »
I find myself with more time of late, so I think I can work on this project. Your assistance and input would be greatly appreciated bmmpxf. :)

steve_hacks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 06:32:27 pm »
Your best bet would be to look at my disassembly in https://github.com/shicks/crystalis-randomizer/blob/master/Crystalis.st.  To make that useful, you'd need to clone the repo and use the `scripts/strip -r` utility to inject the bytes form the actual ROM into the stripped disassembly (I didn't want to publish the source publicly due to copyright, so the .st file is just the parts I've added).

Once you've got that, it should become a lot clearer what's happening.  Then if you look at the patches I've made [1, 2] to see how to put it together.

[1]: https://github.com/shicks/crystalis-randomizer/blob/d95ac98fb244952a91e89fe0bcd3590fca8234d0/src/js/preshuffle.s#L1002
[2]: https://github.com/shicks/crystalis-randomizer/blob/d95ac98fb244952a91e89fe0bcd3590fca8234d0/src/js/patch.ts#L579

What that amounts to is the following:
 (1) Changing PRG $3db39 (not counting the $10-byte header) to zero prevents jumping to the error when trying to teleport from inside the tower
 (2) Need to prevent draygon 2 from respawning after he's defeated.  This is harder because he doesn't currently have any spawn conditions, so you need to find some free space.  Draygon's spawn condition is at $1c955 (pointed to from $1c776.  You need to move that current block (4 bytes) into some unused space (possibly the middle of the spawn condition table, since those NPC IDs are unused) and then add a check for flag $28d in location $a6.

The best way to keep up with the latest in Crystalis rom hacking is the randomizer discord: https://discord.gg/ktyz5E6

~ steve/bmmpxf

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 12:01:54 pm »
Awesome, this will help a lot. I'll be sitting down and working on this starting tonight and report on my progress here.

In the process of doing this, I also decided to quickly make a version of the Computer Repair Patch that's compatible with the JPN version (God Slayer). I'll put a link up here once the submission is approved, and the RAR also contains a text file with the addresses in memory that were modified. The problem arises due to the fact that the English version has the addresses for the computer screen offset by -84 compared to the JP version, so the patch only worked for Crystalis. I reverse-engineered that patch and adapted it for God Slayer, so you can now play the JP version of the game translated and with the computer repair patch.

JP Computer Repair Patch released: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4533/

So my current priority list for this patch is, in order of easiest to implement to hardest:
  • Make Crystalis/God Slayer create bridges and break walls just like the elemental swords do - behaves this way by default
  • Make teleporting out of the tower with Teleport spell possible (Steve has already basically handed this one to me) - done
  • Prevent Draygon 2 from respawning to avoid an unbeatable game situation, OR CONVERSELY, make Bow of Truth permanent / not consumed, whichever is easier to implement - done
  • Create a warp tile through which the player can simply walk to teleport out of Sky Tower - done
  • Program and sprite Crystalis/God Slayer to be able to fire its shots in all 4 directions - in progress

With the 10-byte header, the address to change that allows Teleport to be used (in the US Crystalis ROM, which I'll be working with before adapting these to JP God Slayer) is 0x3DB43 from A5 to 00. However, for a single frame there's some garbage graphics that appear on screen before the teleport menu comes up. If possible I'd like to remove that to make it look more clean, but for now, I can at least check off #1 in that list.

https://i.imgur.com/nYQT0O9.png

I found a much cleaner fix after looking through the src provided by the strip script and comparing addresses with the slight offset. Since the instructions that begin with the A5 -> 00 change are checking player location, comparing player location to a value, and then if matching that value, going to the error instructions, rather than changing A5 to 00 at 0x3DB43 in the US binary, I simply changed the compare value line at 0x3DB36 (0x3DB46 in headered US Crystalis) from C9 58 (58 for Sky Tower) to C9 FF (FF which isn't any valid map ID and thus will never satisfy the critera of the BEQ) and it behaves like a normal teleport anywhere else. I'm going to go ahead and mark the teleport out priority addressed.

I have moved the MapData for rooms A7 (the room behind Draygon 2 in Pyramid) and 58 (the entrance of the Sky Tower) down to a large block of unused data directly after the MapData table, as I needed 4 bytes and 8 bytes of space. Rather than shifting the entire table 12 bytes and 1) making more work for myself by having to redo every pointer and 2) making compatibility with future patches more tiresome, I simply used the available space and changed the pointers for those two rooms, as well as the pointer table within each room's data to the appropriate addresses. The end result is a seamless transition from Pyramid to Sky Tower via the crystal. I'd like to look into making a Teleport spell effect rather than the default door behavior, but that may be a bit ambitious.

Stay tuned for working on making the Crystalis / God Slayer fully functional.

Working on making Crystalis / God Slayer work everywhere now, and once I'd navigated around the different blocks that handled weapon and object data, it became pretty easy to figure out what to do. At 0x35CDA (0x35CBA in headered US Crystalis) is A5 6C C9 5F D0 F1. I will break it down and explain how I changed this.

A5 6C stores the players current location, the map ID.
C9 5F compares this stored ID to 5F, which is the final boss / Dyna room
D0 F1 is a BNE (Branch on Not Equal) that ceases to progress the code for firing Crystalis shots if you are not in Dyna's room.

To remedy this, we change the C9 5F to C9 FF (or 0B or any other unused map ID), and change the BNE (D0) to a BEQ (F0) to make the Branch on Equal FF. Since these conditions can never be met, the Crystalis shot will work in all rooms in the game. I have also figured out how to make Crystalis shots fire in all directions, and not just up. It would seem that in the ObjectData for all sword beams...

Code: [Select]
ObjectData_WindAttack2                                   ; Object 11
        ;; Level 2 shot from Sword of Wind
        $1afff              .byte $33
        $1b000              .byte $ff,$18,$00,$0a,$02,$03,$1e,$00,$03
        $1b009              .byte $ff,$00,$02,$00,$10,$00,$11,$00,$00
        $1b012              .byte $88,$01,$1c
        $1b015              .byte $07,$01,$00,$01

... byte 06 on line 3 (so in this case, $11 on $1b009) determines the behavior of the projectile. Changing this 11 to 36 causes the Lvl 2 wind sword shot to behave like the Crystalis shot (always fire up), and conversely, changing this value in the Crystalis ObjectData from 36 to 11 causes it to fire in whatever direction you are aiming. The sprites are a bit buggy, but I'm currently working on that. For pure functionality, however, it is possible to fire Crystalis shots in any direction.

UPDATE: The patch is fully functional pragmatically. From a graphical polish standpoint, however, it needs work. In its current state, the Sky Tower is perfectly traversable at the player's leisure, the Crystalis/God Slayer can be used to fire in any direction, kills enemies, and interacts with elemental barriers. I'd like to touch everything up before I call it done, however.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 05:41:21 pm by redmagejoe »

steve_hacks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 10:23:54 pm »
Teleport should be a piece of cake - just change the entrance from $00 or $01 to $40 or $41.

That's interesting about the object data.  What you're changing is the object's "action script".  It's stored in $4a0,x and determines the routine that runs every (other?) frame for each object on the map.  It corresponds to an entry in the jump table at $36314.  In this case, $11 (most sword level 1 shots) goes to $370a8, while $10 (crystalis shot) goes to $370b5, which the former one falls through into after setting direction and graphics.  So in this case, that's probably exactly the right thing to do, though it might be possible to do some slightly different graphics in a currently-unused location and then jump to the same spot.

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 01:04:37 am »
Teleport should be a piece of cake - just change the entrance from $00 or $01 to $40 or $41.

By changing the fourth byte in each exit, I did indeed get the screen effect of Teleport, but what I was aiming for was the actual sprite and SFX for Teleport. I don't know if there's a way to achieve this for these four (2 x 2 tiles on each side of the crystal) exits. Changing the fourth byte on the entrances doesn't seem to accomplish anything as far as I can tell... except for make the character invisible upon arrival.

That's interesting about the object data.  What you're changing is the object's "action script".  It's stored in $4a0,x and determines the routine that runs every (other?) frame for each object on the map.  It corresponds to an entry in the jump table at $36314.  In this case, $11 (most sword level 1 shots) goes to $370a8, while $10 (crystalis shot) goes to $370b5, which the former one falls through into after setting direction and graphics.  So in this case, that's probably exactly the right thing to do, though it might be possible to do some slightly different graphics in a currently-unused location and then jump to the same spot.

You had commented in your assembly that you weren't sure which of the two Crystalis Shots (1 and 2) were which, and I can tell you that Shot 1 is the large ball, and Shot 2 are the colored bubbles. $11 on Shot 1 makes it behave just like other sword shots, but the left and down graphics are bugged. $10 makes the ball maintain its shape in most directions, but it alternates every other frame with some garbage graphics. Modifying that action script byte on Shot 2 causes... weird things to happen. If I start looking through the action scripts a bit, I might be able to figure out how to get the ball to maintain its graphics.

Based on what you explained to me about action scripts, I tracked down these suckers in your disassembly.
ObjectActionJump_36
        $37070  a9 00:      lda #$00
        $37072  9d 60 03:   sta $0360,x
        $37075  bd 20 06:   lda $0620,x
        $37078  d0 44:      bne $370be
        $3707a  fe 20 06:   inc $0620,x
        $3707d  a0 00:      ldy #$00
        $3707f  a9 14:      lda #$14
        $37081  20 2d 97:   jsr AdHocSpawnObject
        $37084  90 38:      bcc $370be
        $37086  a4 10:      ldy $10
        $37088  b9 b0 00:   lda $00b0,y
        $3708b  18:         clc
        $3708c  69 18:      adc #$18
        $3708e  99 b0 00:   sta $00b0,y
        $37091  4c be b0:   jmp $370be
ObjectActionJump_11
        ;; The first frame, set the correct sprite for the direction
        $370a8  bd 60 03:   lda ObjectDirection,x
        $370ab  4a:         lsr
        $370ac  1d 00 03:   ora ObjectMetasprite,x
        $370af  9d 00 03:   sta ObjectMetasprite,x
        $370b2  de a0 04:   dec ObjectActionScript,x
ObjectActionJump_10
        ;; Subsequent frames, do normal thing:
        ;;  1. subtract 4 from 4e0
        ;;  2.
        $370b5  bd e0 04:   lda $04e0,x
        $370b8  38:         sec
        $370b9  e9 04:      sbc #$04
        $370bb  9d e0 04:   sta $04e0,x

This gives us the behavior for 11, 10, and 36... So I guess it's also possible that with this data we could... manipulate the way that 36 works rather than relying on changing the byte to 11? But then I guess that would be more work that still wouldn't address the sprite issue. Just thought it worth sharing though.

Also, while I'm better getting the hang of using pointers and moving data around, I reverted all the movement of the MapData for rooms 58 and A7, but I simply changed the pointers in their pointer tables for entrances and exits to the newly used space, and made the expanded entrance and exit lists in said space. No reason to copy all the data for the rooms, even the unchanged things, plus it uses up less of that juicy real estate beneath the MapData table that could be used for other modifications.

Before I get too caught up in sword sprites, enemy death sprites, and wall/waterbridge sprites, I'd like to focus on something in a similar vein. The final room prior to Mesia's room and Dyna's pre-room, the "top" of the Sky Tower, is a separate room, despite the main body of the tower appearing seamless. This is because rather than going through doors that have a fade-to-black transition, stepping over a threshold of the stairs leading up in each area noticeably blinks to transition to a brand new room. This causes the enemies in previous rooms to respawn, etc etc. Thus rooms 59, 5a, 5b, and 5c are actually 4 different rooms that appear to be 4 different floors in the same room of the Sky Tower. 5c, however, as mentioned being the one outside Mesia's room and the Dyna pre-room, has the stairs "vanish" behind the player after they enter. This is because that room is designed without stairs leading down, but there ARE two exit tiles two Y-coordinates down out of reach of the furthest the player can go in this room.

What I'm assuming I'm going to have to do is modify the MapScreen metatile data indexes, but I don't know where to begin comprehending it. I know that the existing exit tiles are at coordinates (18, 10) and (19, 10), with the bottom-most traversible tiles in 5c being (18, 0e) and (19, 0e). I am assuming that individual tiles are referenced in the metatile table that not only correlate to sprite data, but also whether the tile is walkable or not. I am ASSUMING (correct me if I'm wrong) that a single address dictates not only the sprite, but also the walkability. If my theory is correct, I should need only to change the appropriate addresses to those used by the rest of the stairs. I'm probably wrong though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:08:03 pm by redmagejoe »

steve_hacks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 03:47:33 am »
Yes, changing the action scripts directly is the way to go.  Many of them muck with the metasprite (stored in $300,x, usually) based on direction, animation counters, etc.  The metasprite is an index into the metasprite table (pointer table at $3845c, data following).  Unfortunately the metasprite alone is not enough to understand the sprites, since it also depends on the active pattern tables and palettes (as stored in $7e0..$7e7 and $7f0..$7f5).

Background tiles are a similar story, in that the game treats them as metatiles.  There's actually a lot that goes on here.

The first 64K of PRG is map screens.  Each screen is a 15x16 grid of 16x16 pixel metatiles (a few are only 13x16, if they only ever show up on horizontal or single-screen maps).  This accounts for a full 240x256 pixels.  The game does some funny math so that objects' y-coordinates can never have an $f in the 16s place - i.e. the y-coordinate counts up 000, ..., 0ef, 100, ..., skipping 0f0...0ff.  Each metatile is 16x16, but the NES PPU's nametable uses 8x8 tiles, so this means that a metatile consists of 2x2 PPU tiles.  This is actually pretty convenient because the PPU also groups tiles into 2x2 blocks that share the same attributes (i.e. palette) so by mirroring this grouping, the game can avoid needing to worry about incompatible palettes between metatiles - each metatile now has a single dedicated paletted that's no longer shared with neighbors.  The MapData graphics subtable has two bytes that tell the game how to parse the metatiles: the tileset (a multiple of 4 between $80 and $ac) and the tileEffects (a number from $b3 to $bd).  For the most part there's a one-to-one mapping between tileset and tileEffects, except that tileset $a8 shares tileEffects $b5 with tileset $88, rather than incrementing to $bd like you would expect (you can see a full breakdown of this at https://crystalisrandomizer.com/stable/view/tileset).  The way this ends up working is as follows (and recall that the pattern tables are separate here, so this just maps to tile pattern IDs from 0..ff, and the mapping from there to specific CHR data is determined by the selected pattern table, and the colors by the selected palettes).

Suppose you have metatile T, tileset S, and tileEffects E
 * the metatile components tables run from $10000 to $12fff in $400-byte (1K) blocks, and gives four pattern IDs for each metatile.  The first $100 bytes is the top-left, followed by top-right, bottom-left, and bottom-right.
 * the metatile attribute table follows immediately after from $13000 to $132ff.  Each tileset gets a $40-byte block, with four metatiles' worth of palettes packed into each byte.  So each metatile gets two bits in this map (low-bits first - tile 0 of tileset $80 maps to ($13000) & $03, tile 1 to ($13000) & $0c, tile 2 to ($13000) & $30, etc), specifying which of the four selected background palettes to use for the tile.
* the tile effects table runs from $13300 to $13e00.  Each tileEffects gets a $100-byte block, which maps each metatile to an 8-bit value.  The bits have the following meanings:
    * $01 = pit (can fall into)
    * $02 = cannot walk over (but can maybe fly)
    * $04 = impassible (i.e. solid mountain)
    * $08 = has alternative (i.e. destroyable walls)
    * $10 = foreground tile (e.g. bridge you can go under)
    * $20 = slope (player will fall down)
    * $40 = slow (thick grass)
    * $80 = pain (marsh and spikes)
This is similar to but not exactly the same as the bits in $460,x for objects, which has to do with terrain susceptibility - I believe the bits $26 are at least the same in terms of what the object will walk on.  Note also that this is the *only* table indexed by E - all the others are indexed by S.
* the tile alternatives table runs from $13e00 to $13f7f.  Each tileset gets a $20-byte block mapping the first $20 metatiles to alternates that are swapped in if the mapdata flag is set (i.e. if the mapdata indicates that a screen has a flag, then that flag is used to determine whether to treat the metatile as the original (clear) or the alternate metatile (set).  This is used for clearing destroyable walls/bridges, locked doors (prison, stxy, swan), exploding caves (mezame shrine, sealed cave), as well as the angry sea and the door between the statues of sun and moon.  When used, the alternates affect both the graphics and the tile effects, obviously.

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 01:51:49 pm »
It appears that during the execution of ObjectActionJump_36, it invariably jumps to _57. For the sake of science, I tried changing the action script flag on Crystalis from 36 to 57, and the end result is much cleaner. The orb retains its shape, doesn't flash, and I believe only has a minor artifact when firing left or right, with up and down shots looking flawless. Still, I can't get Shot2 to spawn without further experimentation, so working on that. I changed the flag back to $36 and have been tinkering with the script for $36. I changed the bytes starting at $37070 from A9 00 9D 60 03 BD 20 06 D0 44 to BD 60 03 9D 60 03 BD 20 06 EA. I essentially changed the LDA #$00 to LDA ObjectDirection,x used in $11. To make room for this, I needed to replace the BNE, whose purpose I'm not quite certain of other than to seemingly skip the generation of Shot2, with a single-byte instruction. I chose $EA No Operation, and now I can spawn Shot2. Currently they still only shoot up, and the graphics are only slightly wonky, but they also fire a second time from Shot1 traveling left or right after a certain interval. My hope is to reorient these bubbles to follow the path of the original orb rather than firing upward.

UPDATE: The Sky Tower is now 100% exit-ready with this patch in progress. The escalator on the last floor no longer vanishes behind you, Warp Boots and Teleport spell work in the entirety of Sky Tower (including the Dyna fight, unfortunately), and the crystal rooms in Sky Tower and Pyramid allow you to freely traverse the two locations. I'm currently trying to find a way to disable Teleport specifically in the Dyna fight, room 5F, but the check for your location seems to use a "base" location in its original state of $58 which I changed to $FF. Right now until I better figure out what the assembly instructions in that location are doing, it's either teleport in none of the tower or all of it. I'm going to update my priority list below.

• Disable teleport in Dyna fight; may require reprogramming instructions for Teleport slightly
  • Adjust Crystalis / God Slayer shots 1 and 2 to appear properly regardless of direction fired
  • Adjust graphics for enemy deaths, wall explosions, and ice bridges, including SFX
  • Touch up Pyramid<->SkyTower teleport effects and SkyTower floor transition effects to be like Teleport spell and more seamless respectively

I noticed that all of the checks for your location in the game that compare them to Dyna's Room (5f) generally follow the following model:

a5 6c:      lda CurrentLocation
c9 5f:      cmp #LOC_DYNA

However, for Teleport, it instead goes as such:

a5 6c:      lda CurrentLocation
29 f8:      and #$f8
c9 5f:      cmp #LOC_DYNA

This 29 F8 is an AND instruction that adds Accumlator and Memory into the Accumulator. As far as I can tell, this is checking not just the map ID, but a map "group" which includes 58, 59, 5a, 5b, 5c, 5d, 5e, and 5f. Thus by replacing 29 F8 with EA EA, two NOPs, Teleport should only check the room you are in. Thus we can teleport everywhere in Sky Tower except for Dyna's room with this change.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:30:59 pm by redmagejoe »

steve_hacks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 11:43:09 pm »
If you're mucking with action scripts and worried about space, I'd recommend finding some spare space in the back of the PRG (around $3f9ba) and JSR to it.  This will give you plenty of space to do whatever you need, without worrying about fitting exactly into the same area.

The teleport check in vanilla is `cmp #$58`, not `cmp #$5f`.  But you're correct that if you simply remove the `and #$f8` then you can simply compare against #$5f to have the desired effect.  But why do you care if the player teleports out while fighting Dyna?  Does that cause any problems?

I don't know how the player effect works teleport, but if you look at $3d31c (DialogFollowupActionJump_02_Disappear) you'll see how the sages (and Stom) disappear, which might give you some clue... unless you're thinking of something completely different.

For the backwards routes - does this cause any problems for keeping them closed until the white robots are killed?

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 03:01:26 am »
BNE checks flag Z = 0 and jumps if true

AND doesn't add anything, it compares bits from memory and accumulator. Result is a byte, which have bit number = 1 if both bytes had the same bit number = 1, else 0
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 03:08:55 am by Cyneprepou4uk »
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 12:36:10 pm »
BNE checks flag Z = 0 and jumps if true

AND doesn't add anything, it compares bits from memory and accumulator. Result is a byte, which have bit number = 1 if both bytes had the same bit number = 1, else 0

Right, thanks for clarifying. I'm still pretty inexperienced at ASM, so I find myself trying to apply high level language analogs to what it's doing. I'll try to better keep in mind what's actually taking place from a processor standpoint.

If you're mucking with action scripts and worried about space, I'd recommend finding some spare space in the back of the PRG (around $3f9ba) and JSR to it.  This will give you plenty of space to do whatever you need, without worrying about fitting exactly into the same area.

The teleport check in vanilla is `cmp #$58`, not `cmp #$5f`.  But you're correct that if you simply remove the `and #$f8` then you can simply compare against #$5f to have the desired effect.  But why do you care if the player teleports out while fighting Dyna?  Does that cause any problems?

I don't know how the player effect works teleport, but if you look at $3d31c (DialogFollowupActionJump_02_Disappear) you'll see how the sages (and Stom) disappear, which might give you some clue... unless you're thinking of something completely different.

For the backwards routes - does this cause any problems for keeping them closed until the white robots are killed?

No problem, per se, but I do think that once you're actually in the final battle, by standards of games of the time it would be appropriate for the player to be properly locked into that fight without a teleport out.

And yeah, I did some copy-pasting shenanigans and had already changed that second chunk to $5f. I indeed achieved the desired results by removing the AND f8.

As for what I'm talking about with Teleport, the SFX and sprite effect that occurs where your character turns into a colored light silhouette and eventually into a wisp of nothing after using the Teleport spell, and then reversing that effect on arrival, is what I'd like to try to make happen when using the crystal exits between Pyramid and Sky Tower. That might be tricky to pull off, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Well the only route that's "closed off" in vanilla as far as I recall is room 5c, simply because I suppose that's intended to be a point of no return within a point of no return. I guess the devs didn't want the player to waste time going back and re-killing the robots or something, or taking the mostly non-functional Crystalis down to previous floors. It's most likely the latter, to make the only enemy you can use Crystalis on at that point Dyna. Or were you suggesting closing them off? I'd rather not tamper with that if possible.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:30:11 pm by redmagejoe »

steve_hacks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 08:43:12 pm »
Just wanted to make sure that opening the bottom exit of $5c doesn't open the staircases prematurely when you're going up.  I haven't figured out how opening the stairs works yet, but I did try an experiment where I replaced the robots with random enemies and the result was that all the stairs were just always open from the start, which is kinda disappointing.

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 02:38:18 pm »
Oh no, because of the fact that the floors in Sky Tower are actually separate rooms, when you cross the threshold up the stairs, it simply reloads the screen with the new map even without the fade to black. It's just that 5c didn't have stairs going down, and I changed that in its tiledata. 5b, meanwhile, is completely unaffected by any of these changes because it's a different room. So 5b still has no stairs until the trigger is... well, triggered, by enemies being defeated, and the stairs then open up.

June 16, 2019, 03:53:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I may need to call upon the assistance of someone who has worked with CHR ROM in NES games for assistance in this endeavor. Since I'm dealing with a sprite that is only programmed to work in one direction, someone who has some spriting experience would be very appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:53:49 pm by redmagejoe »