News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Diddy Kong Racing (N64) No music in multiplayer  (Read 379 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Diddy Kong Racing (N64) No music in multiplayer
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:41:06 am »
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone knows what's up with Diddy Kong Racing muting the background music in multiplayer, it's extremely annoying and I have no idea what's causing it, and it's happening on real hardware. I've already tried cycling through each of the audio options one by one with no success so I guess that rules it out as being the same audio bug that plagues Mario Kart 64.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

J^P

• View Profile
Re: Diddy Kong Racing (N64) No music in multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 09:44:49 am »
I believe its "feature" as N64 doesn't have any kind of sound chip so it has to use CPU instead, and to get game running at smoothly as possible they had to remove background music.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:49:55 pm »
I agree with J^P, it was likely done to save performace. You could add the sound back in ... but the game would probably run at 3 FPS. Perhaps you could add an option to decrease the screen resolution..?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 08:21:55 am »
I had no idea, I guess that's the price we had to pay for a stable fremerate,
I could have a go at finding the flag that sets the sound off during multiplayer, it might be possible to get it to work better through emulation than it would on hardware, I don't know about dropping the resolution because DKR is damn hard to track in 3 - 4 player mode anyway.

So in Mario Kart 64's case I suppose that switching the sound option to mono for multiplayer was a sort of workaround necessary to save CPU power? Someone elsewhere also mentioned that that game re-enables music if you run with only two players which I'll also try on DKR next time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:13:00 pm by SleepyFist »
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY