News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Aretha 1 translation is complete and released.  (Read 2661 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Aretha 1 translation is complete and released.
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 03:13:49 pm »
Well, I agree with including patching information such as version numbers, headers and whatever else, but the whole MD5 and CRC32 requirement is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. That type of information isn't always easy to collect for beginner romhackers and most fans who download said patches don't even know what these numbers mean. Much less knowing how to check their ROM for them properly. For example, I know that people often use the superfamicom.org website to obtain said information for their SNES submissions instead of actually checking what ROM they used as a base for their patches (since not every ROM on the web is a No-Intro/GoodSNES dump). Therefore, the ROM/ISO field can be and is often filled in wrong which makes the whole thing invalid. Perhaps only the MD5/CRC32 part could be made optional for I've seen a lot of people complaining about it when the ROM/ISO field was first implemented for submissions.

This was in the most recent Patreon update. Suffice to say, making this element something that's easier to fill in from info you can get right on the site is something that's actively being worked on.

"We are also working on an online ROM hashing tool/library to mimic functionality of Snarfblam's offline ROM Hasher (https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1002/) utility with all of its database and platform specific magic. Initially, we will probably have a standalone online hasher so visitors can immediately start copy/pasting correctly formatted ROM/ISO information into the submissions forms."

Jazz

• View Profile
    • Jetran
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 10:58:29 pm »
Loving the fonts used... they look ace! Great work to all involved - as per usual :)
Jetran Website
View for Gameboy english translation projects

Discord: Jazz#9202

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 03:29:36 pm »
(as one example: from what I've read, the entire DS library is technically badly dumped. Dumpers had figured out enough of its protection to create usable ROMs, but not perfect dumps. Maybe at some point, preservationists will figure out how to get them perfect. But then with newer patching formats wanting matching hashes, that might be a problem in the future.)

Sorry for bumping this month old thread, but I know of one DS game that has a perfect dump: Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses, of all games... According to MyriaChan on Twitter, the Contra 4 prototype contains the security data for that game: https://twitter.com/Myriachan/status/965663850837065728?p=v

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 02:27:31 pm »
Yes, Myria's posts on No-Intro is where I heard of the situation.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018