I've had a long kindled desire to restore censored and altered elements of the Japanese Dragon Quest releases back into the US Dragon Warrior games. After my efforts in the last couple years to find an experienced rom hacker to take on this project have failed, I decided to try to fumble my way through the process myself and hopefully accomplish all my objectives eventually.
The below patches are what I've accomplished so far.
Dragon Quest: Delocalized Edition http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4275/
* Custom script where all medieval language was removed. Script is now totally based on the original Japanese. This was written with a strong emphasis on fluid readability.
* NPC, location, item, and monster names made to more accurately represent the Japanese.
* Spell names are new, reflecting the style of the Japanese spell names but based on English words that translate the meaning of the original root words.
* Custom Dragon Quest title screen, coded and designed by Choppasmith with minor adjustments by me
* Updated hero to original Japanese sprite, augmented with my own graphics to display him walking in four directions
* Updated NPC sprites to their original forward facing Japanese versions. A few of them were conservatively altered due to having to work around issues with importing them
* Updated coastal water made to be the same as the Japanese version
Dragon Quest II: Delocalized Editionhttp://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4273/
*Brand new retranslation of nearly all the game's text. No medieval language remains, many problems corrected and overall is much closer to the original Japanese script.
* Spell names are new, reflecting the style of the Japanese spell names but based on English words that translate the meaning of the original root words
* Fixed several graphical bugs with the animation of the marching princes in the title screen intro. Examples includ torsos separating from lower body during walking animation and incorrect pixels during one frame of Cannock/Samaltria's animation.
* Altered the head of the prince of Midenhall/Laurasia by changing his horned helm into a leather cap with goggles to better match the Toriyama art and in game sprite
* Restored censored cross design for room with secret passage in Hargon's Castle
* Custom Dragon Quest title screen with subtitle "Gods of Evil"
* Restored crosses on churches
* Restored original priest
* Restored coffins for dead characters
* Item and monster names restored to be mostly in line with the literal Japanese
Dragon Quest III: Delocalizedhttp://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5466/
*Item, Monster and Spell names restored to be mostly in line with the literal Japanese
*Totally retranslated script
*New title screen
*Restored area maps for Lanceal, Necrogond Shrine, and Dharma Temple
*Restored crosses on churches
*Restored original shrines
*Restored original coffin in pyramid & for dead party members
*Restored original king, old man with stick, priest & pilgrim sprites
*Fixed parry / cancel bug
*Fixed spell learning bug
*Improved text limit for vault
*Changed namecheck from Erdrick to Roto