News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I - IV: Delocalized  (Read 102944 times)

Rabite890

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I - IV: Delocalized
« Reply #300 on: October 19, 2020, 09:51:46 pm »
I get it, they are a little tough to grasp if you look at the whole list and try to take it all in at once. If you were to start on DQ1 and absorb them one at a time, I think the experience would not be so difficult. At least, that's the feedback I've gotten. Even if you jumped into DQ3 and processed them one at a time, I think it would be a lot more manageable.

I understand that our approach was not the most user friendly, but it was important because it recreates the experience that Japanese players had when they encountered the spell names. They were designed to sound like magical words with only a hint of meaning. But in their mystery, they filled Japanese youths with a sense of awe and wonder. We needed to create something that could achieve that, while we know that dealing with yet another set of English names is a huge request.

So, all I can ask is that people give it a chance. While I've had numerous people express their frustration with the idea of a new list, I have yet to have anyone play the games and not be happy with it. And this spell list is actually the thing I'm most proud of.

When I downloaded the .zip file it didn't include the readme file. I don't know if you've fixed that already or not.

I did look through the equipment/item names and they look really good.

"Matango derives from a 1963 Japanese horror film of the same name that involves a species of mutagenic mushrooms."

This explains a few things in Secret of Mana I didn't know about. Neat!

I'll try to play through 1 and 3 to give them a fair shot. Never did like DQ2. Only game in the series I don't like (excluding the MMO).... Might give it a shot anyway. Can't wait to see how fun Road to Rhone is.

Just to be clear, I have no doubt that your translation is high quality. The spell names are (so far) the only problem I have with what I've seen. I'll try to suppress my bias and give it a fair shot.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 19, 2020, 10:00:12 pm »
When I downloaded the .zip file it didn't include the readme file. I don't know if you've fixed that already or not.
I haven't been in the practice of including a text file in the zip. I figured it's easily accessible enough from the project page. I'm also not necessarily opposed to doing so.

Never did like DQ2. Only game in the series I don't like (excluding the MMO)
I also felt this way at one point. I think I really grew to love the game as a result of working on it. Of the three projects so far, I'd say that DQ2's storytelling was harmed the most by the localization. Some of the design choices are not for the faint of heart, but I really enjoy the world and story.

Just to be clear, I have no doubt that your translation is high quality. The spell names are (so far) the only problem I have with what I've seen. I'll try to suppress my bias and give it a fair shot.
I appreciate you doing this, and I'm genuinely curious whether or not they grow on you and feel worthwhile eventually. Please report back!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:06:16 pm by Chicken Knife »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 01, 2020, 08:20:46 pm »
Submitted a significant update for DQ3 Delocalized. Nejimakipiyo did their first play of the finished product and found a lot of little things to fix or improve.

-Corrected default name for Wizard character from Marlene to Merlin.
-Corrected monster name from Mantango to Matango
-Changed H.P. & M.P. in the status menu to HP & MP, aligning better to other uses in DQ3 as well as the status menu in other NES DQ games.
-Made appx 30 other minor script improvements, including rewordings, fixed punctuation & correcting some significant problems with king text after party deaths.

November 08, 2020, 08:32:00 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Our work on Dragon Quest Monsters has been making me reference things in DQ1-DQ3 Delocalized, and a couple things came up that needed to be improved with DQ2. I just submitted an update for version 1.13. Changes include:

-updated prologue to use Princess Moonbrooke's assigned name as speaker.
-updated battle text in a couple ways in order to match conventions with DQ3 while maintaining accuracy.
-used a new and unique string for end of battle victory message to eliminate repetition of "You have defeated X" - Thanks to Choppasmith for pointing me in the right direction with this!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:32:00 am by Chicken Knife »

Rabite890

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 11, 2020, 01:01:51 am »

November 08, 2020, 08:32:00 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Our work on Dragon Quest Monsters has been making me reference things in DQ1-DQ3 Delocalized, and a couple things came up that needed to be improved with DQ2. I just submitted an update for version 1.13. Changes include:

-updated prologue to use Princess Moonbrooke's assigned name as speaker.
-updated battle text in a couple ways in order to match conventions with DQ3 while maintaining accuracy.
-used a new and unique string for end of battle victory message to eliminate repetition of "You have defeated X" - Thanks to Choppasmith for pointing me in the right direction with this!

Please speed up Terry. Of all the things I loved about DWM1, I hated his speed the most. Especially when you go back after playing the second one.

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #304 on: November 11, 2020, 03:56:34 pm »
Please speed up Terry. Of all the things I loved about DWM1, I hated his speed the most. Especially when you go back after playing the second one.

The focus of the Dragon Warrior Monsters project is to rewrite it with a more accurate translation and better English. Adjusting walking speed doesn't really fit into the agenda, but if someone wanted to do that hack it could be a cool optional patch.

If you're curious about the progress of our DWM hack, I made a project thread for it here:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30993