***** FYI ******
The below post is going to be continuously updated with current versions of patches and their details
I've had a long kindled desire to restore censored and altered elements of the Japanese Dragon Quest releases back into the US Dragon Warrior games. After my efforts in the last couple years to find an experienced rom hacker to take on this project have failed, I decided to try to fumble my way through the process myself and hopefully accomplish all my objectives eventually.
The below patches are what I've accomplished so far.
Dragon Quest: Delocalized Edition http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4275/
* Custom script where all medieval language was removed. Script is now totally based on the original Japanese. This was written with a strong emphasis on fluid readability.
* NPC, location, item, and monster names made to more accurately represent the Japanese.
* Spell names are new, reflecting the style of the Japanese spell names but based on English words that translate the meaning of the original root words.
* Custom Dragon Quest title screen, coded and designed by Choppasmith with minor adjustments by me
* Updated hero to original Japanese sprite, augmented with my own graphics to display him walking in four directions
* Updated NPC sprites to their original forward facing Japanese versions. A few of them were conservatively altered due to having to work around issues with importing them
* Updated coastal water made to be the same as the Japanese version
Dragon Quest II: Delocalized Editionhttp://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4273/
*Brand new retranslation of nearly all the game's text. No medieval language remains, many problems corrected and overall is much closer to the original Japanese script.
* Spell names are new, reflecting the style of the Japanese spell names but based on English words that translate the meaning of the original root words
* Fixed several graphical bugs with the animation of the marching princes in the title screen intro. Examples includ torsos separating from lower body during walking animation and incorrect pixels during one frame of Cannock/Samaltria's animation.
* Altered the head of the prince of Midenhall/Laurasia by changing his horned helm into a leather cap with goggles to better match the Toriyama art and in game sprite
* Restored censored cross design for room with secret passage in Hargon's Castle
* Custom Dragon Quest title screen with subtitle "Gods of Evil"
* Restored crosses on churches
* Restored original priest
* Restored coffins for dead characters
* Item and monster names restored to be mostly in line with the literal Japanese
Dragon Warrior IIIhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/4b8lyjd2dcv6h6a/dw3_delocalized_050.ips?dl=0
Version .50, patch last updated 11/30/18 (appx 40% complete)
*Item, Monster and Spell names restored to be mostly in line with the literal Japanese
*Class names updated to more literal Japanese
*Small amount of game script updated (more to come soon!)
*Restored crosses on churches
*Restored original shrines
*Restored original coffin in pyramid
*Restored original king, old man with stick, & pilgrim sprites
*Added slightly amended version of Japanese priest due to conversion issues. Cross in hand does not wag back and forth as originally.
*Note - Eggers Bug Fix Patch is already included
Dragon Warrior IVhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/rl31jkp7q09gpad/dw4_delocalized_050.ips?dl=0
Version .50, patch last updated 9/10/18 (appx 10% complete)
*Restored church crosses
*Restored original shrines
*Restored original graves
*Restored Cristo/Kyril original sprite
*Restored bunny girls
*Added altered version of Japanese priest, slightly modified due to conversion issues.
*Note - Jegriva's seamonster fix is already included
*** Things left to do ***
*restore original sprite graphics in all four games, including replacing ghosts with coffins for dead characters. Sprite mirroring issues in the US code have made this impossible for me so far since I currently don't know how to work with graphical pointers and redirect them to the correct tiles. Note: DQ2 has been totally restored
*fix palette issues associated with restoring grave in DW3.
*Restore Buddhist symbol in Dharma Temple in DW3.
*Restore large cross on top of royal crypt entrance in DW4.
*change the word WARRIOR to QUEST in all four title screens.
*remove .25% increase to gold and xp for US version of DW3.
*add puff puff references and any other censored dialogue back to all 4 games.
*rework scripts. My main focus would be eliminating the archaic English in the first two games. My intent is to stay relatively faithful to the NES / GBC releases with references to the Japanese script rather than contemporary versions. (Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 script is finished)
As long as our vision for the project is compatible, I'd be happy to accept any collaborators. Any help and guidance, along with any criticism and other feedback is always welcome. I'm fine with anyone who chooses to incorporate these changes into their own Dragon Warrior hacks as long as proper credit is given.
Lastly, a big thanks to everyone who has inspired me to get off the sidelines and start this project. I hope that what I accomplish helps people better connect to the joy and wonder of these early RPG masterpieces, now presented in a form much closer to that of their original releases.